The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Coolant spraying from rubber hose between OFH and large water pipe T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwaihir

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2018
CHELMSFORD, Massachusetts
I just finished installing my 16g and was performing the leak test before taking it on the road. Ran on the jack stands fine no leaks (oil, air, water). I get it off the jacks and bring it for a short drive down the road, maybe 1/10th of a mile. I get back and now there is a small oil leak at the bolts that connect the oil return to the 16g turbo, easy enough fix.

There is also what a appears to be a spray of coolant toward the block and manifold, as well as a coolant spray near my OFH. So I jacked the car up and found that the hose that connects the water main to the OFH is indeed wet around both ends and would make sense from a spray perspective that it's the source.

My questions are why would this happen now after a 16g install when I didn't touch the rubber hose that goes to the OFH? Is there something wrong with my water lines to the turbo that has increased pressure in the water circulation system? Should I undo my turbo water lines and run the 16g without coolant to see if the issue goes away before I swap the hose (ruling out if it's the turbo/lines causing the problem) or should I just replace the hose? If there is back pressure in the water lines would that cause a problem with the engine? I have a feeling the hose is the 20+ year old stock hose, is it just time to swap it? If I put a new one on and it doesn't spray how can I check to make sure my engine is ok?

It seems to only spray coolant from the hose ends if I get the engine above 2k RPMs. If I stay below that or idle it doesn't leak at all.

Last edited:
Replaced the hose, so far it seems to be holding fine and no more leaks. Just had me freaked out because I didn't work on that line at all so I wasn't expecting a leak from it. The car seems to be running ok and temp gauge is reading where it use to with the old T25 in so I think the coolant flow is fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back