The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Compound Turbo Setup Holset style

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guessing about 30lbs. Will know for sure soon.

The Hx52 is knife edge divided and the H1c is BEP .70ar open

Stock converter.

Paul V has been working on this for me. It seems like I am always his test mule when it comes to crazy tubular stuff but I guess I don't mind ;).

20130420_103241_zps9577a262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually tested the ethanol content after it broke and got E72 :(. I just tested it last week when an Evo came in for a tune and we got E80. Its getting better but makes me really want to invest into my own barrel and mix it myself.

Let me know if you do start doing some mixing, might have to "borrow" some from you. Tested my tank this morning since I finally got at tester and it's at 75%. I'm hoping the pumps nearby are at least at 80 now.

Let me know if you do start doing some mixing, might have to "borrow" some from you. Tested my tank this morning since I finally got at tester and it's at 75%. I'm hoping the pumps nearby are at least at 80 now.

Its expensive to get it and not to mention far away from us to get it in 55 gallon drums. If there is enough interest we may start mixing our own and selling it to the locals. It sucks because we can buy 55 gallon drums of Methanol down the street but they don't carry ethanol in any form.

Any more progress? What size rear housing are you using on the hx52? Im going to step my tdo5/hx40 compound up to a tdo5/hx55 setup and Auto swap soon.

That thing is nasty bro. I'll have a long way to go until I get there. But hey you have to start from the bottom! :)

This build just convinced me to swap to an auto now, Compound holsets.. Great build.

I have had it running for a couple days now. Chasing down some stupid bugs but as I type this I should have the last one taken care of. I have been trying to stall the car with the new 2.0L in it but it just does not have enough torque whats so ever to make boost. I have tried every combo besides nitrous or messing with my cam gears to help it make torque. I think I finally have to leave the stock converter and switch to a better converter with a higher stall.

I still have the fastest stock stall converter record so someone else with a compound can chase that one.

Its the stock housing 19cm^2 I believe on the HX52. I knife edged the divider.

Why would you knife edge.a twin scroll housing unless you were on an open scroll manifold? Wouldnt the mating surfaces not be enough contact to keep pressure outnof each sde of the chaimber? Or are you on open scroll?

I'm not sure if you are familiar with how the exhaust routing works on a series or compound turbo setup..

Basically the discharge from the high pressure stage is fed into the inlet of the low pressure stage.

The V-band from the discharge of the small turbine is being connected to the divided T4 flange on the HX52.

I understand it. I wasnt really asking in relation to the compound setup kist knife edging in general. I was just curious the reason for knife edging the hx52 with a twin scroll manifold. Because wouldn't the gasket flare out of the knife edge and create a bit of turbulance? I could see the reason for knife edging it on a open scroll manifold mated to a twin scroll housing to help split the air more efficiently, but i was underthe impression twin scroll setups were 100% separated, leaving me to believe no real benefit would be had by this since each scroll has it's own pressure.

Edit: ah so it IS open. vband pipe routing directly to the hx52 devided housing i would see a reason to lnife edge in that case.

No it's apparent you don't understand it LOL

Of course it's not on a manifold.. that's how you have to plumb the low pressure turbo when you are running multiple turbines/compressors in series.

It is downstream of the high pressure stage. Which is the reverse of the intake side.. Where the Atmospheric/LP/Primary stage receives air first, compresses it and feeds it to the HP/Secondary compressor, which then sends it off to the engine or in some cases to a third stage.

Nooo i do get it, i just wasn't sure if someone tried to divide the exhaust pipe going to the secondary turbine housing. 3" pipe cut in half and a flat piece welded in pipe length, and then weld the second half to the first halfs flat part. Sort of like this "( | )" I know it's not a manifold. Ive seen the pictures :) also my question wasn't really in regards to the compound setup like i said before. But the reason to knife edge the turbine housing at all vs leaving it.. ( i've never ran TS)

Nooo i do get it, i just wasn't sure if someone tried to divide the exhaust pipe going to the secondary turbine housing. 3" pipe cut in half and a flat piece welded in pipe length, and then weld the second half to the first halfs flat part. Sort of like this "( | )" I know it's not a manifold. Ive seen the pictures :) also my question wasn't really in regards to the compound setup like i said before. But the reason to knife edge the turbine housing at all vs leaving it.. ( i've never ran TS)

What purpose would there be to that? The advantages for which you divide a manifold and turbine housing in the first place are not in effect after the first turbine stage. Where all the pulses have been slowed, blended together and cooled.

You would be adding more friction by increasing surface area for the exhaust to interact with.

You want a Fairly large turbine scroll case on the low pressure stage and for the same purpose you want a large cross-sectional area on the inter-stage pipe with few bends.

A cool idea to try would to force all of the exhaust from the outlet of the turbo to one scroll, and the wastegate dump into the other scroll. It's sorta like a quick spool valve in a way LOL.

I started to build that a few years ago and never finished it. Secondary's turbine outlet to one side, both WG outlets to the other. I made the flange, but never redid all the piping. In theory there could be a benefit, but there's only one way to find out. :) One concern is how to gate the primary turbo. With one gate you have to choose whether to dump the secondary's outlet or the WGs. I've tried it both ways and have some ideas, but I definitely don't want to end up having to go to 4 wastegates if one doesn't control the primary. But hey, figuring all this out is what makes compound turbocharging fun...

4 gates would look pretty crazy!

First time out cruising after the little rod incident. The engine is running great. The crazy water setup I am running is holding temp right at 180*. Can't wait to get the tubular front subframe on this thing from Paul and get the suspension dialed in. Car drives on the street pretty well with the stock converter and the Kelford 294s. Our dyno is slammed for this weekend so hopefully I can get some dyno time in early next week and let her eat.

972285_10151718784234734_1989717006_n.jpg

First time out cruising after the little rod incident. The engine is running great. The crazy water setup I am running is holding temp right at 180*. Can't wait to get the tubular front subframe on this thing from Paul and get the suspension dialed in. Car drives on the street pretty well with the stock converter and the Kelford 294s. Our dyno is slammed for this weekend so hopefully I can get some dyno time in early next week and let her eat.

972285_10151718784234734_1989717006_n.jpg

Gorgeous!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back