The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauce Dog

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2017
Kokomo, Indiana
Hello, thanks for your time. I want to put a GOOD clutch in it and I'm finally making big boy money so I'm able to. What exactly do I want? That is the question. I don't plan on throwing any boost at it or any timing or anything like that until I have ALL the supporting mods.. I want it to be able to handle power even though I'm not giving it any. So, that being said, it is my daily and I want to maintain driveability. The clutch is roasted right now so I've been driving my old Toyota Echo with 340,xxx miles. Anyways, to keep driveability but still handle power do I want a 6 puck? street disc? I think I'm gonna go with ACT heavy duty something or the other but I'm just not sure which one. Any comments or opinions welcome. Thanks again for hearing me out.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Fill us in on what was done. How it was adjusted etc.

i gave it to one of my dad's friends and paid him to do the install. i don't have a garage or else i would've done it even though idk what i'm doing... but when i dropped it off and when i picked it up it was leaking boost bad. i fixed that, and now i see that the clutch won't grab the flywheel even when it's in gear and the clutch pedal is all the way out... i don't think he adjusted the clutch at all.. but the guys around here say if you have a clutch adjustment issue it would be dragging, not the opposite. i'm gonna try to adjust the clutch out when i've got someone to help me and when there's no snow or rain, and i'll be back with more info

Crawl under and push the slave in my hand with your thumb. If you can do this the Hydraulics are fully disengaged. If it won't move while in gear and you can do this you have something seriously wrong with the job. If you can't push the slave your Hydraulics are locked and could be partially disengaging the clutch. This sometimes happens from an improperly adjusted pedal. I'd like to get your hopes up but this is just one possibility. Without knowing how things were installed, how the flywheel was machine Etc there is no way for us to know. Try this and get back with us. At least it won't take but a few minutes

Crawl under and push the slave in my hand with your thumb. If you can do this the Hydraulics are fully disengaged. If it won't move while in gear and you can do this you have something seriously wrong with the job. If you can't push the slave your Hydraulics are locked and could be partially disengaging the clutch. This sometimes happens from an improperly adjusted pedal. I'd like to get your hopes up but this is just one possibility. Without knowing how things were installed, how the flywheel was machine Etc there is no way for us to know. Try this and get back with us. At least it won't take but a few minutes

i am happy to get back with you guys and happy to hear any advice or wisdom you guys have to offer. i am way late to hop on the DSM train, and there is literally no one in indiana that will work on them.

i will start with adjusting the clutch. i really love this car and i take it seriously, but it's cold and wet and snowy here still and i have a gravel driveway on a hill, so i can't really get under it easily... it's really low, last guy that had it cut the springs.

as for the machine job he did on the flywheel, i don't think he did LOL. i think he literally just put the clutch in and tracked down a few other gremlins and then called it good. like i said, when i got it back it was still leaking boost. but the guy has been a wrench for 30+ years, has a lift in his garage... his brother fixed the 4wd system on my ford ranger 3 years ago, they have just been doing automotive wrenching all their lives. and i want to think he didn't do it wrong. he told me to bring it back by and he'd look at it. but i have to organize a tow. and funds are super tight as is...

i have the engine running good. it just needs coilovers tires and the clutch to grab and it'll be in 2x better condition than when i got it. thanks for hearing me out, brother.

You dont even need to Jack it up to test the slave. Just stick your arm under there.
my dad will be here this weekend and we're adamant we're gonna fix this thing!!! i'll definitely refer back here when he gets here saturday. we want to do everything right the first time, and hopefully it'll be the last time. so we're gonna start with adjusting the clutch. there's nothing we can't fix and if worse comes to worse we will just take it back to the guy and have him readjust the clutch and check the linkages and the pedal. that should come standard with a clutch job imo. but he didn't! it's okay though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back