The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Clunking and shaking in reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duzzell115

Probationary Member
Jun 17, 2018
Portsmouth, Virginia
When i put the car in reverse. I can hear loud clunking and almost stalling until either the clutch is pressed all the way in or placed back in neutral.

its slightly the same in first except it doesnt start shacking and clunking nearly as bad and actually able to pull off.

how it started noticed one day i couldnt put my car in 1st or reverse without excessive force which changed to not at all while the car was on.

bled the clutch and it easily slips into gear but now i have the “shacking and clunking”

the car is a 1997 420a. The clutch is pretty new jus fully broken in not to long ago.

If it sounds like it's coming from under the floor boards/rear quite possibly. Under the hood, possible motor mount. Either way, a lot of things on a car can "clunk"

Kodi nox

Last edited:
Are the shift cables newer as well not stretched and loose? Or the bushings at the end of the cables maybe at the shift selector access panel on the transmission. They could be beat up and not allowing you to move the shift forks all the way to where they need to be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back