The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Changing Timing Belt on 1998 GSX with 58,000 Miles, Should I Change the Water Pump Also?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Ryno

Probationary Member
Sep 21, 2020
Chicago, Illinois
As the subject states, I will be changing the timing belt on my 1998 GSX with 58,000 miles.

Given the relatively low mileage and fact that there is no issue with the factory water pump, should I seize the opportunity and change the water pump also or wait until the next timing belt service?

Thanks in advance fellas!

-EL Ryno

Thanks for the prompt reply @gst-turbo :)

I guess my concern is that the quality of aftermarket water pumps doesn't compare to OEM Mitsu. Also, it seems the Gates unit and many others use a different style impeller than factory.
Gates:

Mitsubishi:

Should I shell-out the ridiculous $200 for a new OEM Mitsu pump or trust an aftermarket with different impeller?

I am have one of these on my 6 bolt. I have heard these are as good as if not OEM. At least on the 6 bolt. I had a Gates with the cast wheel before and had trouble keeping the temps down. Someone correct me if I am wrong on these being OEM
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Either will work but the Mitsu will last 2-3 times longer - personal experience. Aisin is supposed to be OEM and a good choice. Just don't ever ever ever get an auto parts store in-house brand one. Remember you get what you pay for. And yes since you have to remove the timing belt to replace the water pump now is the time. Most water pumps never last beyond 50k anyway.

Last edited:
Most water pumps never last beyond 50k anyway.

They seem to last about 3 weeks longer than the timing belt just so you can do all the work twice... :)

Thanks a bunch @Jonnyeclipse @luv2rallye @gst-turbo @steve :)

My 1991 GSX that I sold last summer actually still had the original water pump with over 114,000 original miles on it and no issues!

Nevertheless, I really appreciate all of the good advice :thumb: I have not done a timing belt change in about 20 years :sneaky:

I've ordered the Aisin from Amazon since there is currently a 3-day shipping delay from RockAuto. It's 3x the price of the Gates and other water pumps, but still only 1/2 the price of the dealership unit.

Any tips on gasket sealant to use on the water pump gasket?

-EL Ryno

One common source of a water pump leak is the o-ring not installed properly. You must replace the o-ring in the crossover inlet pipe by putting it on the pipe end first, coating with coolant, and then insert pipe with o-ring into water pump do not put the o-ring into water pump first as it will not seat properly and will leak.
Also do not use RTV on the water pipe. The o-ring does the job of sealing the water pipe to the pump housing and doesn't need anything else. The RTV will reduce it's ability to seal and flex and can actually create ways for the coolant to leak. Make sure that the water pipe is free of any corrosion where the o-ring sits and that the o-ring is lubed with coolant before putting the pump on so it isn't cut or torn. Take a scotch brite pad (the green kitchen scrubbers) and polish the water pipe end if necessary. Use a new o-ring. Make sure you don't scratch the inside of the water pump.

And do not put the water pump pulley on backwards: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/c...r-pump-pulley-to-go-on.228253/#post-151166499

Thanks so much @luv2rallye for all the helpful tips!

What about the gasket between the water pump and the engine block? Do I need to use any sealant and, if so, what type is recommended?

-EL Ryno
no sealant is required. I do use a gasket tack spray for convenience only because it's a pain to install without it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back