The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Car won’t start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emazzii- insta

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2022
Adelanto ca, California
So I just bought a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse NT that has been sitting for over 10 years.

And I got new plugs, new starter, new wires, and a new battery but when I turn the key it just clicks one time where the radio is at and nothing else happens.

There is a relay that is hanging down under the steering wheel that doesn’t looks the same as my 99 GS. It looks wired differently and the colors of the wires are different. It also looks like it has a different ECU then my 99. They both have 420As so I don’t understand why it would look so different.

They should have the same ECU regardless of model year. I've had one from each of those years and they were identical. See if you can retrace the wires from that odd relay, find were it ends. If it doesn't belong, remove it.

Not only does a ‘95 non-turbo have a different ecu than a ‘99 non-turbo, but 95 ecu’s are notoriously problematic. When you attempt to start the car, does the “Check Engine” light illuminate for a few seconds and then turn off? I ask because when my ‘95 ecu kicked the bucket, it wouldn’t illuminate at start up. Once I swapped a known hood one in, everything was fine.

Regarding the relay, where you say it is makes me think it might be a starter kill relay. You may want to trace the wires back to the harness so you can get a better idea of what it’s doing there in the first place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back