The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Car starts runs for a few seconds then dies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1990 talon tsi awd.

Hey guys this is my first post, i did a lot of searches and found a lot of useful things to check... Ecu, maf... They Iook okay. have no cel (it comes on for a couple seconds, then goes out like normal) and a couple seconds after that the car dies. I can keep it running by revving a little bit but it won't stay idling.

Also I have to check the cps. If anyone has info on how to do this id appreciate it. Otherwise I'll just search for it in sure I'll be able to find some write ups.

The car has fic 750s, and a Garrett 60 trim. I did a boost leak check and at first it wouldn't even hold 4psi, so I fixed a lot of leaks that I could find and got it up to 20psi before the tool started to fail. It leaks really slow and there's a couple tiny leaks one in the o2 housing where it was a bad weld and I tried filling it with manifold repair stuff just to see if it would hold, it still leaks a tiny bit. And one tiny leak on the intake elbow. When I say tiny I mean super slow, would these cause it to happen? The car isn't tuned or anything either.

I just took it all apart to install new bearings because of a knock, I reinstalled everything and still have a slight knock... (beat crank I'm sure) so I still have to rip the engine out and redo everything again..

There are a lot of electrical connectors not connected to anything off the harness but I looked up all of them and most are things that aren't necessary like things for a/c and cruise control n stuff.

One more thing the car doesn't have a Wastegate solenoid but I have a MBC to a tial 38, does this take away the need for a solenoid?

This isn't a car that I daily or anything and still have a bit of work to do before I get it going so this isn't crazy urgent yet, but I really appreciate anyone's input.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Definitely need to have some way of tuning the car. The car should still run with vacuum leaks, especially if they are as small as you say. But you should definitely fix them.

So your running 750cc injectors and your cars not tuned at all?
Well I bought the car with them but with no turbo or ecu, the guy told me it runs greattt it just needs a few things. Then I put it all together with the 60 trim and new manifold n stuff and got that knock of course. Stupid me for trusting someone. my ecu has ecmlink v3 but when I tried to connect it, it said not a valid port or something so I don't know what's up with the ecu I hope it's not bad it could be the cord because the light on the cord never came on or blinked or anything

Definitely need to have some way of tuning the car. The car should still run with vacuum leaks, especially if they are as small as you say. But you should definitely fix them.
When I had it started it was showing 14.7 on the w.b but do you think that's all it is? I told mischif it does has v3 but I couldn't get it connected to my laptop but the ecu looks okay no bad caps or scarring or anything but the cords light doesn't blink or anything when I try to connect either. Are bad cords common at all?

Keep the cord connected til it connects. Restart your laptop and it should hook up. If not then the cord is bad or has a break in it
Yeah I will try that I read too that you should plug it in before you even open the ecmtuner file and I did the opposite but i was too frustated that day to even get into it because of how burnt I got on this car LOL. I will definitely try that tho when the time comes thanks

Well I bought the car with them but with no turbo or ecu, the guy told me it runs greattt it just needs a few things. Then I put it all together with the 60 trim and new manifold n stuff and got that knock of course. Stupid me for trusting someone. my ecu has ecmlink v3 but when I tried to connect it, it said not a valid port or something so I don't know what's up with the ecu I hope it's not bad it could be the cord because the light on the cord never came on or blinked or anything
That would seem to be the issue, the vehicle isn't tune to run with those injectors, if this issue was happing to me I would give ecm link a call and see if they can give you some direction to check your set up.

I wouldn't necessarily say they are common, but they do go bad. And at least once you are connected you can see what going on.

True and I guess the fact I got it second hand doesn't help matters much.

But by what everyone thinks the injectors are more than likely the culprit? Not that they're bad or anything just that they're too big for not having a tune...?

True and I guess the fact I got it second hand doesn't help matters much.

But by what everyone thinks the injectors are more than likely the culprit? Not that they're bad or w.e just that they're too big for not having a tune...?
Yes sir, the stock ecu is programed for the stock injectors anything larger will cause issues. I think with a 2g or evo maf you can run 550s with out big issues, but that's still not the right way if your looking to doing things correctly.

Yes sir, the stock ecu is programed for the stock injectors anything larger will cause issues. I think with a 2g or evo maf you can run 550s with out big issues, but that's still not the right way if your looking to doing things correctly.
I got the ecu off the same guy I got the car same day and he said that that ecu was used in that car and that it would run with it but he was a total liar he told me the car has wiseco pistons and eagle rods too. Even said it had 272s which I didn't believe because he didn't write that in the ad, but was hoping against hope it really did have the internals because he did write that. So i guess I shouldn't be taking his word on a damn thing.

I got the ecu off the same guy I got the car same day and he said that that ecu was used in that car and that it would run with it but he was a total liar he told me the car has wiseco pistons and eagle rods too. Even said it had 272s which I didn't believe because he didn't write that in the ad, but was hoping against hope it really did have the internals because he did write that. So i guess I shouldn't be taking his word on a damn thing.
Do you even know if the ecu is socketed for the ecu link? you can check this by opening up the ecu. There should be a chip at the bottom right which you can carefully just pull off as this would mean the ecu is socketed and ready for the link. Plus the chip should say ecu link on it I belive. Check that real quick

Do you even know if the ecu is socketed for the ecu link? you can check this by opening up the ecu. There should be a chip at the bottom right which you can carefully just pull off as this would mean the ecu is socketed and ready for the link. Plus the chip should say ecu link on it I belive. Check that real quick

Yeah it says 1g ecmlink he showed that to me when I bought it, one of the things I actually could ask proof for LOL

Guy sounds like a real winner. At least you've got yourself a DSM now.
This is actually my second one I had a 92 awd tsi a few years back but it was basically just buy and go it was already set up n tuned n everything and I never really got down to the bone of it, eventually blew that one's trans and then blew the replacement, so I got rid of it. Wish I didn't that one was a winner. Had it for like 2 years ran it hard a lot before it had a problem then I had a no name shop do the clutch on it that my dad's friend owned and then the trans decided to go shortly after and it was never the same. Learned to DIY or don't do.

Can anyone tell me if I need a wastegate solenoid or no? I read somewhere that if u have a MBC u don't need to hook the solenoid to the wastegate but they also said you should still keep it plugged in, I don't have one at all though does that matter or no

I don't run a wastegate solenoid... but I also have an external wastegate so I'm no help there.

Did the cord ever hook up yet? I know I get really really mad when my cord doesn't hook up. I restart laptop, turn off car, and do it again til it finally connects.

I'm for sure going with the injectors running at 0 deadtime and sized at 450 if you or that wonderful dude didn't get a base tune on it. Could also be your isc going bad and sticking. Get a multimeter and probe the connections of the isc on the throttlebody and check for ohms (a few write ups on what to look for on this site) if it's all good and still can't get laptop to connect send the cable to ecmlink or just order a new one or borrow one if possible.

Does the cel pop on and turn off when key is in the ON position?

I don't run a wastegate solenoid... but I also have an external wastegate so I'm no help there.

Did the cord ever hook up yet? I know I get really really mad when my cord doesn't hook up. I restart laptop, turn off car, and do it again til it finally connects.

I'm for sure going with the injectors running at 0 deadtime and sized at 450 if you or that wonderful dude didn't get a base tune on it. Could also be your isc going bad and sticking. Get a multimeter and probe the connections of the isc on the throttlebody and check for ohms (a few write ups on what to look for on this site) if it's all good and still can't get laptop to connect send the cable to ecmlink or just order a new one or borrow one if possible.

Does the cel pop on and turn off when key is in the ON position?
Pull your spark plugs after you try to start it also. If they're wet with gas then it's from the injectors dumping too much fuel. I'd recommend getting a wideband also if you are going to be tuning. Can either get a used one for around $100 or new innovative for $160 I believe on Amazon.

I been taking the engine out to swap the crank so I didn't try to connect it again, and I do have a wideband it was reading 14.7 when it was running before it would shut off

Yes the cel does it stays on for about 4 seconds and then shuts off

You're welcome for the website. I found it in my searches recently trying to figure out my cars problems LOL

Assemble your block fully and get it ready to fire up then when you start it check the plugs. They will be dry by now. Did the oil smell like gas? I'm betting your cable is just junk and needs replaced so you can hook it up to the laptop. Try that, get settings adjusted for those injectors and see if it helps out man.

I think with a mbc you don't need a wastegate solenoid. I was running my 14b with just a mbc and zero issues. Can keep it hooked up though and get stuff from ecmlink to make it like an ebc though :hellyeah:

You're welcome for the website. I found it in my searches recently trying to figure out my cars problems LOL

Assemble your block fully and get it ready to fire up then when you start it check the plugs. They will be dry by now. Did the oil smell like gas? I'm betting your cable is just junk and needs replaced so you can hook it up to the laptop. Try that, get settings adjusted for those injectors and see if it helps out man.

I think with a mbc you don't need a wastegate solenoid. I was running my 14b with just a mbc and zero issues. Can keep it hooked up though and get stuff from ecmlink to make it like an ebc though :hellyeah:
Nahh the oil didn't smell like gas... Then again this will be like my third oil change in a few weeks. First one when I got the car I changed it before I got it running then second when I changed the bearings and now again when I'm changing the crank LOL. Car hasn't been this fresh with oil since the very first time it got filled up haha.

Yeah I just have a few things to do in order before I jump into things it was snowing today so randomly so I had nothing to do (no garage), I have everything disconnected and labeled and bagged up so all I have to do is get out the axles and I'll be ready to rip it out. Crank should be here sooner than later I hope and then I'll be back in business

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back