The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

car sputters at WOT, fuel cut??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderfan

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2010
baton rouge, Louisiana
i just installed a small 16g and since my car is not tunned, im running the lowest boost posible but it still creeps to aroung 16psi and nin 2nd gear it sputters at 6k and in 3rd gear it sputters at 5k. im guessing it could be a fuel pump or a huge boost leak?

First thing to do is always a boost leak test, even more so when you just installed a new part.

Sounds like a leak forsure. mines does that till I tighten everything down. Now car runs fine. Check wideband for idea of fuel cut. Too lean will cut and mines when it was hella rich the problem was a loose fmic pipe. Hope this helps

when i installed the small 16g i kept the metal ring that work as a spacer for the t25 to the manifold. could this be it? i have no wideband and already upgrade ot to t clamps. did i need to leave that spacer there?? or remove it?

thanks again

Remove the spacer. The turbine housing on the S16g probably does not have a groove for the spacer to fit inside. You're running out of fuel. You really need a fuel pump and injectors.

Road Race Engineering's Eclipse Fuel Delivery Upgrades

Do you have a logger or anything to see what your injector duty cycle is?

no logger at all, and stock injectors and fuel pump.

the spacer DID fit in there kind of weird, whats the wuickest way to get it out?

just pulling the mani?

i have no more budget to invest in the car for now. i just want it to at least

redline fine at WOT, i do believe the stock fuel is enough for that

thanks

Fuel Cut is Violent like hitting a brick wall trust me you would know if you hitting fuel cut.

If I had to guess an say It's either running real lean from not enough fuel pump/injector or rich from a Boost leak an misfiring... . What's your spark plug gap at?

Fuel Cut is Violent like hitting a brick wall trust me you would know if you hitting fuel cut.

If I had to guess an say It's either running real lean from not enough fuel pump/injector or rich from a Boost leak an misfiring... . What's your spark plug gap at?

good point at higher boost a finer plug gap will help, maybe colder plugs might help but so would the proper supporting mods and i know and feel ## pain i was in your shoes bigger turbo and no supporting mods and no cash

dam, no idea on the spark plugs but could replace them and see. what gap should i use? in the mean time i will try to tighten everything up and inspect it visualy

me leaving that spacer in between the turbo and mani. could cause it to leak?

thanks yall again and again

When i first got my gst, it was stuttering also. i put some accel spark plug wires and some ngk plugs and now is running fine. On the plugs i got some (bpr6es) ngk spark plugs and gapped them at .028
Try changing those out.

Keep the boost low so you don't run lean and you'll be fine. If you ever want to gain a bunch of power look into ECMLink Lite v3, a fuel pump and injectors.

Keep the boost low so you don't run lean and you'll be fine. If you ever want to gain a bunch of power look into ECMLink Lite v3, a fuel pump and injectors.

im running the boost at the lowest (line straight from j pipe to waste gate)

whats more important? link or a fuel system?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back