The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTRCOOL

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2002
Richmond_Va.
OVERHEATING? The issues and their solutions have remained the same- either you don't have enough cool air reaching the rad, there's a cooling system obstruction which is preventing coolant from circulating, or your head gasket has failed and is allowing coolant to be consumed or pushed away from the engine.

Discuss all possible overheating problems and solutions here.

OK,
I just left my house to go over to my GF's,and happen to look down and see my needle right before the red mark. This just happened out of nowhere. I stop the car as quickly as i can, and pour in some coolant(Coolant a little low). Still same thing. Welp im in the middle of the road, and HAD to get it home. Im only 5 min from my house. I decided to try and make it(I really had no other choice). Welp I drive no faster than 20mph, and the temp needle is BARELY into the red the whole way.And occasionaly to the left of it. Am I ok?? Do ya think any damage was done?? And im thinking either thermostat, or water pump. For each of those, whats a round about $$ figure to get replaced?? Any info you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, yeah I'm either hoping for the head just needing planed, a timing belt broken(hopefully pistons would be good), or a headgasket - all best case scenarios imo!

For $300 still I could sell the wheels with brand new tires on them, the tranny, all AWD parts, interior pieces, etc and about double my money! LOL

Thanks all

The other day my brother was driving my car and went over a speed bump pretty fast and scraped the undercarriage of the car. When that happened the temp gauge started going nuts so we parked it. When we came back out it was raining and there was a large rainbow colored puddle next to the car which I'm assuming is oil. I don't want to automatically assume its something and start paying for stuff I don't need so I'm asking you guys what you think this most likely is. Thank you.:pray:

*edit* There is coolant in the oil but no oil in the coolant. Thought that would help diagnose

Last edited:
looks like its covered in a greenish liquid

I just checked again and now it looks like its covered in oil

So I had put on one of the FORCED PERFORMANCE INTAKES on my 2G , at the beginning of this month.(and everything running great!). It's kinda of in the wayy of the water line... But todayyy I was driving and suddenly the water line came off, all of the fluid drained out of my car, and my car began to overheat, smoked a little bit too. I had to pull over in the middle of DT, wait for someone to bring me some tools so I could get it bak in order to get it home. .. Im not happy rite now :( So I tore everything apart made sure the water line is hooked up and secure even with the FP intake on, and im still overheating after about 10 min. of driving WTF?!? did I blow my water pump? I have no IDEA what to do!? someone please help.
:mad:

Might be a dumb question but did you put more fluid in it? And if you did, did you bleed the air out of the system? I know whenever I drain my cooling system I'll run it with the radiator cap off so the air will come out OR run it up to temp for a while then wait for it to cool off and add more water. Be very careful with using the last method, if you don't wait for it to depressurize it will explode in a steam/coolant volcano. Any amount of air in the system will cause it to over heat.

Sounds to me like you damaged the oil cooler on the filter housing. Besides the headgasket, that is the only other place that oil can mix with coolant...and given the circumstances, that seems like a good place to start.

EDIT:

Uhhh... Just noticed your vehicle. I assume the 97 N/T has the same cooler, but I don't know that for sure. :)

The tube that runs into my coolant housing is now blowing bubbles into my coolant?! :confused: Its supposed to be sucking the coolant into the tube not blowing air out?! WTF? my car overheats very quickly 5-10 min drive and the temp. gauges begins to rise!? Do I need a new Thermostat?? I blow a head gaskettt!? I can figure it out..?!?!

Ohhhh and my heater is not blowing hot air wen turned on.. just cool air..

It seems you have air in the coolant system. Also, just as good maintenance, I would change the thermostat. Its simple and cheap to do.

It seems you have air in the coolant system. Also, just as good maintenance, I would change the thermostat. Its simple and cheap to do.

+1 on thermostat :thumb:

me and my friends talon began overheating. first thing we did was replace the thermostat and put new coolent in for the hell of it since a good amount came out after changing the thermostat. havent had an issue since. LOL

The tube that runs into my coolant housing is now blowing bubbles into my coolant?! :confused: Its supposed to be sucking the coolant into the tube not blowing air out?! WTF? my car overheats very quickly 5-10 min drive and the temp. gauges begins to rise!? Do I need a new Thermostat?? I blow a head gaskettt!? I can figure it out..?!?!

Ohhhh and my heater is not blowing hot air wen turned on.. just cool air..

I'm not really sure what you mean by "coolant housing" but I'm assuming you mean theremostat housing. I'm also assuming that the tube that's blowing bubbles is the tube that runs into the coolant reservoir. That tube is supposed to transfer coolant in and out of the reservoir, not air.

When the car heats up, coolant is supposed to flow INTO the reservoir since the coolant expands when heated. As the temperature drops, the coolant LEAVES the reservoir and back into the cooling system. From what you're describing, it sounds like you have not properly bled your coolant system.

To bleed the system, open the radiator cap while the car is cool. DO NOT open it while the engine is warm/hot. Start the engine and pour coolant into the filler neck/upper radiator hose. Keep repeating until the engine is warm and the coolant is topped off in the filler neck. Close the radiator cap and refill the coolant reservoir if it's empty. You should be good to go. If not, R2 the thermostat.

++ on all statements. How hot did it get? How long? I wouldn't drive it until you get the air out and the thermostat replaced. If your putting in new antifreeze and a thermostat you might as well take a close look at your hoses and definitly consider replacing them. When was the last time they were replaced?

A radiator flush wouldn't be a bad idea either so you know your cooling system is top notch and up to par.

Just burp the system by squeezing on the lower coolant hose that leads to the thermostat. I always start there when getting the air out of the system. Doesn't get all of it but it gets plenty of bubbles when doing it every time.

My car randomly overheats for what seems like no reason, the temperature gauge spikes( to the red) shortly after boost, but it also spikes at idle. The only time its not extremely hot is when im cruising on the highway. I know its not the gauge because I installed a manual temp gauge too. I dont have a FMIC, I changed the thermostat, and I have a big aluminum radiator. Does anybody have any ideas?

does yur exhaust smell sweet? when was the last time you chaged your oil, might wanna see if it looks milky r not....also pull your spark plugs and look for ne corrosion on the ends..more like a white substance. Also take of your radiator cap and take a ppek at your coolant.....all of these or even some of these could mean a blown head gasket.....mine never overheated once, but the exhaist smelt delicious and the oil looked like chocolate milk

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back