The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Cant crank car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gs2048

Probationary Member
Jan 11, 2021
Chino, California
Hey guys, recently got a 98 GS-T and in the past the wiring harness caught fire but was replaced yesterday, everything works from it, however, I cant start the car because the key wont go past accessory, it says anti-lock and Im thinking its the anti theft, is there anyway to get around it and start it? Could it possibly also be the starter thats the issue since the key wont turn past it even when pressing the clutch/brake in all the way to unlock the wheel?

Hey guys, recently got a 98 GS-T and in the past the wiring harness caught fire but was replaced yesterday, everything works from it, however, I cant start the car because the key wont go past accessory, it says anti-lock and Im thinking its the anti theft, is there anyway to get around it and start it? Could it possibly also be the starter thats the issue since the key wont turn past it even when pressing the clutch/brake in all the way to unlock the wheel?
Nevermind, Im able to turn the key past where the car is supposed to crank but hear a little noise but thats about it, doesnt crank at all

back in the day, i picked up a gst with a fire damaged engine bay. after a shitload of work fixing, replacing, upgrading, i thought it would fire up, nope. i had the same starting issue as you. ended up the fire was put out with a water hose and the water had gotten into the cylinders. The pistons were rust welded to the cylinder walls.
pull the spark plugs out and see if you can hand turn the crank using a socket/ ratchet on the crank bolt

Last edited:
Nevermind, Im able to turn the key past where the car is supposed to crank but hear a little noise but thats about it, doesnt crank at all

What do you mean by a little noise? Does it sound like the starter is trying? If so, i would check the main engine ground (located on the upper bolt on the starter from the factory). If it just sounds like a relay clicking I would check your getting signal from the key at the starter.

Just pull the ignition switch out from the back side of the ignition cylinder and turn it to start the car. It'll bypass the cylinder/key. So if it starts that way, then the problem is within the cylinder.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back