The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Spyder 2g Spyder gs having issues starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoung

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2013
columbia, Maryland
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out.

I have a 99 eclipse gs spyder that has issues starting this has been going on for about 2 years now off and on. It usually only does it when it is very cold outside but it has done it at random times. The only way I can get it to start when it is real cold when the issue happens is to throw it on the car charger for a while and keep trying to start it it eventually starts then will not have the problem again till the next time its cold a day or two later.. it has not happened for a while until today and it made me miss work at my new job only 2 weeks in which doesnt look good..

Steps I have already taken to try to resolve
Has a brand new battery
I replaced alternator
replaced ignition switch
I just tested it with a volt meter today n battery n alternator are working fine

When issue happens the car does not even try to turn over you just hear a click from the starter and then nothing (besides a little buzzing which sounds like it comes from inside the dash almost).....

DO you guys think it could be a issue with the battery cables? then do look freyed...

Thank you for any input you can give

Sounds like a bad starter relay or starter.

Try the simplest fix first, the cables. Make sure there is a good ground.

After that, get the starter tested. If there's an AutoZone nearby, they can test it on the vehicle and tell you exacty how many amps the starter is drawing off the battery. You should expect your 9:1 CR SOHC 4G64 to pull 125-140 amps. The starter is the largest load the battery ever sees, if the starter begins pulling too much current it can kill your battery much quicker.

Also, do not strike the starter with a hammer. Yes, that used to work on older style starters to free a seized shaft, but nowadays almost all OEMs and most replacement starters have ceramic magnets in them which will shatter if you smack it.

Sounds like a bad starter relay or starter.

Try the simplest fix first, the cables. Make sure there is a good ground.

After that, get the starter tested. If there's an AutoZone nearby, they can test it on the vehicle and tell you exacty how many amps the starter is drawing off the battery. You should expect your 9:1 CR SOHC 4G64 to pull 125-140 amps. The starter is the largest load the battery ever sees, if the starter begins pulling too much current it can kill your battery much quicker.

Also, do not strike the starter with a hammer. Yes, that used to work on older style starters to free a seized shaft, but nowadays almost all OEMs and most replacement starters have ceramic magnets in them which will shatter if you smack it.

i just had a starter issue with my spyder gs. not the same as yours but would start some days and would start others. I had the starter tested and check out fine. Checked everything else, grounds, connections, clutch switch, ignition switch etc. in the end the starter was bad and for whatever reason tested fine. Replaced the starter and havent had an issue since

I just got finished sanding down the ends of the cables and and electrical taping them it seems like it starts a little faster with a little more power now Hopefully that fixes the issue only thing that sux is i will not know until it gets cold again....

If it still does not fix it i guess I will have to replace the starter that is the only thing left

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back