The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Can low oil level cause car to overheat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoccwave

10+ Year Contributor
71
0
Mar 26, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
My car started overheating a couple of days ago, the overflow tank would fill up and it would start dumping coolant on the ground. When I had the hood opened I noticed that oil was leaking out the oil pressure switch, I've replaced that already and no more leaks. I filled the engine back up to proper level with oil and coolant. My question is, can low oil levels cause the car to overheat or do I have to look for another issue? I already replaced the thermostat about a month ago.
 
Okay, that's the answer I was hoping for. I drove the car home and had not ran it till today. I let it run for about 20 minutes and no overheating, I'm about to take it for a test drive and see what happens. Thanks.
 
if its boiling over sounds like the thermostat isnt opening correctly for a few bucks id change it out just to be safe or if you have a manual they have a test for them in it i believe or if your not rollin in the dough just take it out and put it in a pan of water on your stove and raise the temp to 180 or 190 w/e temp thermo you have and you should be able to watch it open/close :rocks: but low oil can also lead to overheating and seizing up of your engine not good....
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top