The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can anyone tell if this Type S BOV is Real?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffwithaG

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2017
Flemington, New_Jersey
I've searched through several posts about knock off vs real BOV's, but the majority have either dead links for images or a bunch of conflicting opinions. I got this BOV with some hard pipes that included a GReddy elbow for the SMIC.

Can anyone tell if its a real GReddy Type S or a knockoff? It has a black diaphragm, not orange which I read is an indication its real. But otherwise, I am not sure.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks like mine & legit to me. Sure is weathered & oxidized.

Looks like mine & legit to me. Sure is weathered & oxidized.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, its pretty ugly. I might try and clean it up a little. I ended up going with a different UIC pipe. But this BOV worked fine and didn't have any boost leaks on the setup when I tested it.

I have compared them. It looks real to me. Around that era, the knock-offs were not that elaborate, was easy to see the differences. (it got elaborate from the type-rs knock-offs) The type-s knock off that I had was even using an o-ring to seal the valve (the green circle in the pic, do you have an o-ring?). As for the diaphragm color, the real Greddy was black. I think the orange one was made by NGR after they bought the right for type-s.
Also the pipe looks real.

I have compared them. It looks real to me. Around that era, the knock-offs were not that elaborate, was easy to see the differences. (it got elaborate from the type-rs knock-offs) The type-s knock off that I had was even using an o-ring to seal the valve (the green circle in the pic, do you have an o-ring?). As for the diaphragm color, the real Greddy was black. I think the orange one was made by NGR after they bought the right for type-s.
Also the pipe looks real.

I didn't see an O-Ring down in the body of the BOV or anything. Did the GReddy pipe come in that blue color? The elbow is just cast aluminum, no paint or anything.

The body looks real, the purple cover though is fake. Its not the right purple. It so has the wrong profile.

I didn't see an O-Ring down in the body of the BOV or anything. Did the GReddy pipe come in that blue color? The elbow is just cast aluminum, no paint or anything.
IIRC they had blue-ish 2.25" or 2.5" pipe very long time ago, I had one but it's hard to distinguish by the pic if it's real or knockoff. But it's just a pipe. And forgot to ask, is there one more port on the body? The real one must have it, some knock-offs don't have it.

Thanks, I will check out the link. Maybe the original had a stripped out bolt or something and they swapped it with a knock off?
Perhaps, ebay has plenty lf them and ngr make parts for it so it but theirs are normally quite close to looks wise but are still copys

Here's my real Greddy Type-S so we can compare the purples. Had my friend Yayoi pick this up when she went home to Japan to visit her Mom & Dad. I just took this so it's not an old picture.

I will agree the cap does not look genuine. I ran one back in late 2000's. Internally looks correct though, someone may have stripped out the cap at one time and put a knock off top on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back