The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Budget head build...opinons please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh38127

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2009
Memphis, Tennessee
I was wondering what my limits are with the stock 1g cams. I have looked Engnbldr vavles forgot what they are going for.The Brain Crower BC 1100 springs and Ti retaniners. for 230.sounds good. I guess if I had put number for a budget it would 400 to 500. I aiming for 350-400hp max. Wasn't planning on any heavy porting.I was just have it pressure checked;cleaned,and a good vavle job.

I have a DSM-link V2. with auto-meter Wideband setup.and AEM AFPR.I just have to install them.

Have 1g or 2g head both look good. Which would be better.

Well I'm running Evo 8 springs and retainers. The Evo springs have a beehive style to them and the retainers are aluminum and only 4g. The DSM springs aren't a beehive style, and the retainers weight 13g. The weight difference is astounding side by side.

At the very least, the Evo springs will be in better shape since my stock ones had at least 100k miles while the Evo ones had just 9k.

Now the Evo springs aren't as beehive as the aftermarket ones. That's why I'm just saying beehive style.

I figure this setup will be fine for my car and what I do with it. Oh, and I picked my set up for under $50.

I was wondering what my limits are with the stock 1g cams. I have looked Engnbldr vavles forgot what they are going for.The Brain Crower BC 1100 springs and Ti retaniners. for 230.sounds good. I guess if I had put number for a budget it would 400 to 500. I aiming for 350-400hp max. Wasn't planning on any heavy porting.I was just have it pressure checked;cleaned,and a good vavle job.

I have a DSM-link V2. with auto-meter Wideband setup.and AEM AFPR.I just have to install them.

Have 1g or 2g head both look good. Which would be better.
For a budget build I would definitely get better cams (HKS 272 or FP2's) and pull the plans on the BC springs and retainers.

If I was building a 1g looking to run 25psi or so of boost and seeing 400hp it would look like this...

- 7 bolt head ported for a 1g IM (if you get a used head from someone MAKE SURE it has all the cam caps)
- HKS 272's or FP2 cams
- engnbldr valves, bronze valve guides, & revised lash adjusters (lifters)
- Evo 8 springs and retainers (they are beehives and can be found for $70 or less)
- Supertech valve seals
- ARP headstuds torqued to 85ft lbs
- OEM headgasket
- Oil port mod http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341028-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod.html
- Oil port mod #2 (if you put a 2g head on a 1g block) http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/341885-oil-port-mod-2-4g63t.html?highlight=oil+port+mod & http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/341625-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod-2-a.html?highlight=oil+port+mod
- Resurfaced & lap the valves

Nows also a good time to do the timing belt if its going to need to be done in the next 10,000 miles anyway.

:dsm:

For a budget build I would definitely get better cams (HKS 272 or FP2's) and pull the plans on the BC springs and retainers.

If I was building a 1g looking to run 25psi or so of boost and seeing 400hp it would look like this...

- 7 bolt head ported for a 1g IM (if you get a used head from someone MAKE SURE it has all the cam caps)
- HKS 272's or FP2 cams
- engnbldr valves, bronze valve guides, & revised lash adjusters (lifters)
- Evo 8 springs and retainers (they are beehives and can be found for $70 or less)
- Supertech valve seals
- ARP headstuds torqued to 85ft lbs
- OEM headgasket
- Oil port mod http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341028-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod.html
- Oil port mod #2 (if you put a 2g head on a 1g block) http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/341885-oil-port-mod-2-4g63t.html?highlight=oil+port+mod & http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/341625-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod-2-a.html?highlight=oil+port+mod
- Resurfaced & lap the valves

Nows also a good time to do the timing belt if its going to need to be done in the next 10,000 miles anyway.

cool looks good.
I have short block its OEM.BS removed It has Brain C Rod and main bearings.Hasteings racing rings. Can it even handle 400hp.. About what would
redline be.:D

I think have a wally. What size injectors.

cool looks good.
I have short block its OEM.BS removed It has Brain C Rod and main bearings.Hasteings racing rings. Can it even handle 400hp.. About what would
redline be.:D

I think have a wally. What size injectors.
This just went from basic/budget head build to basic/budget 400hp build. :p

I'm running a stock 7 bolt from the IM to the oil pan (besides my FP2 cams) with 95,000 on the motor with 24psi of boost on E85 and right around 400whp. What I'm saying is yes, your OEM bottom end can handle 400hp with the right supporting mods and a good tune.

Your injector size isn't determined buy what fuel pump your running, you should determine injector size on your expectations. Expectations being are you going to run E85 or pump gas, what turbo, how much boost?

Your injector size isn't determined buy what fuel pump your running, you should determine injector size on your expectations. Expectations being are you going to run E85 or pump gas, what turbo, how much boost?

I was just saying I had a short block that was just sitting there, I gonna use my 14b, pumpgas and 18-20lbs

I was just saying I had a short block that was just sitting there, I gonna use my 14b, pumpgas and 18-20lbs
You won't be seeing more that 250 whp doing that so just an OEM (6 bolt) rebuilt head and ARP headstuds would be good for that setup.

You won't be seeing more that 250 whp doing that so just an OEM (6 bolt) rebuilt head and ARP headstuds would be good for that setup.

What do I need to do then. I'm for bout 300-350hp. Like I said i'm just tring to learn.:thumb:

What do I need to do then. I'm for bout 300-350hp. Like I said i'm just tring to learn.:thumb:
With the modification list below running 91 octane gas and 21psi of boost on a stock 7 bolt and a 16g I put down the hp/tq numbers that are in my signature.

Bolt Ons:
small 16g // RRE j-pipe // 4" FP intake // hks ssq bov // 1g 60mm tb // evo III intake manifold (hondata gasket) // HRC fmic 24"x9.3"x3.5" // RRE UICP // greddy denso 660cc fuel injectors // walbro 255 fp (rewired) // AEM afpr // 2g exhaust manifold (ported) // punishment racing externally gated o2 housing dumped // tial 38 mm external wastegate with a .9 bar spring // apexi gt 3" cat delete dp // HKS hi power catback exhaust // hallman mbc // nology hotwires // prothane motor mounts // mishimoto radiator // SPAL 12" push fan // optima red top

Engine Management:
AEM UEGO wideband (rear o2 location) // ecmlink (V3) // autometer boost gauge // HKS type 1 tt

Engine Internals:
stock from intake manifold to oil pan

Drivetrain Modifications:
AWD GS-T // automatic tranny converted to 5 speed manual // ACT 2600 clutch // ACT chromoly flywheel // B&M short shifter // symborski shift kit // SS full clutch line // slave cylinder extension rod

Building the head isn't going to give you more hp, its going to let you run more boost using a bigger turbo. If you build a head with the above specs I posted (but keeping it a 6 bolt head) and running an Evo 3 16g @ 25-27 lbs of boost you'll probably be able to put down 325 whp on a dyno.

Thanks man. I am gonna keep researching. But stick to your ideas. 325. Is something I can use until I get better aquited with DSM thanks Gofer.

Thanks man. I am gonna keep researching. But stick to your ideas. 325. Is something I can use until I get better aquited with DSM thanks Gofer.

:rocks:Thanks man. I am gonna keep researching. But stick to your ideas. 325. Is something I can use until I get better aquited with DSM thanks Gofer.

I am not much on alum retainers, I have seen them chaffe and get spring beat (the springs wear grooves in them on the underside)

when spring rate is increased this happens at a faster rate...... I would also have to belelive this also happens when in the upper RPM Band

I would like to find the spring specs of the evo VIII springs

BTW Thanks GoFer for posting the links!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back