The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

BSE- HELP!! is this common or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyt

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2008
Bronx, New_York
Ok so when I bought this motor and was striping it down, inside the oil pan I found a piece of a bearing (pic 1). So I thought that is was a main or rod bearing. It was not!:nono: So today I was going to install the block off bearings and I noticed ( after I took the front bearing off) that the rear bearing was not there (pic 2), I thought it was odd until I put the pieces together.... That was the bearing that came off. So I looked at the balance shaft and Bam! the balance shaft was rubbing on the block creating the opening ( where the rear bearing would go) bigger... Pic 3,4,5 Notice how the balace shaft was worn down:ohdamn:

So, the rear block off bearing will not fit in the bore cause its now too small, neither will the front bearing fit.

Question:
Can I just block off the front bearing and leave the rear one as is??? I know will somewhat loose oil pressure, but will it be too much to cause damage if any???:hmm:

What Can I do... Thanks Guys

Attachments

• IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMAG1452.jpg
    IMAG1452.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG1455.jpg
    IMAG1455.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG1456.jpg
    IMAG1456.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG1454.jpg
    IMAG1454.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 83
:nono:If you Block it off, you will not loose oil pressure. You loose oil pressure if is kept open. Just wanted to know if its ok for to leave that oil galley unblocked and just block the front one....

:thumb: BogusSVO, can you show me in a pic where exactly?? is it towards the rear or the front ( where that plug is ).... Thanks

Another thing I was thinking was to get a piece of pipe ( small exhaust pipe ) and make a bearing that would fit to block it off... take a tail pipe extender and open it up so that I can tap it into that bore in a snug fit.... any thoughts??

That's what I was saying, if you DON'T block it off you will lose oil pressure (read: double negative). Like bogus was stating, if you can get in with a tap that'd definitely be the way to go, silicone probably wouldn't be a good enough seal.

That's what I was saying, if you DON'T block it off you will lose oil pressure (read: double negative). Like bogus was stating, if you can get in with a tap that'd definitely be the way to go, silicone probably wouldn't be a good enough seal.

Ohh ok, my bad I prob read it wrong. I will work on it this weekend and keep everyone posted and post pics. Wish me luck and Thanks Guys!!:thumb:

Ok guys so I took a different approach since it,was hard to remove those plugs from the side of the block....
I used jb weld on both holes ... Front too just for the hell of it. A buddy of mine used jb weld on another block to plug the whole and it worked.
The pictures below show the two bores,with jbweld on them.... Tomorrow,I will give it another coat.... So I won't be using none of the bearings.... I also kept in mind for the weld not to leak into the main oil galley... I placed the block angleling it away from it. 👍

Another view of the rear one...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333754445701.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333754445701.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 82
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333754478009.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333754478009.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 75
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333757037278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333757037278.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
it also went inside the hole. A friend of mine did it to his other block and it works. I mean I can always jb weld the bearing in as well to make sure but i don't think is necessary....

Tell me this, have you used it before to know that it won't hold??

I've use jb weld on hundreds of things, and it usually fails on anything with any pressure at all. IT might work on a radiator, but you are talking 14ish psi versus 60 psi.

Ok so ill slide the bearings along with jb weld so they wont come off...LOL

My buddy also told me that he used jbweld to repair his crank inside to block ...this is for his Camaro and it held up....oil and all.
So with the bearings also in, will hold it from pressure

Agree with everyone else.. new block...

Why even bother asking the question "what should I do" when you were gonna do what you wanted anyways...

I do hope the jb weld holds... If not.. you will need a new block anyways.

Well new blovk is not an option... I spent close $500 on the machining alone.... I just came from a machine shop and they said that jb weld will not hold,so ok then. They will plug it for me... I just have to unassemble the block again...fml

Ok so I was able to pull the plug from the side of the block...
I inserted the bearing aligning the hole withe the outer hole and ran a bolt thru so that it could hold the bearing in place and also press the bearing onto the oiling hole blocking reinforced with jbweld and thread sealant....done!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333849572391.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333849572391.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 69
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333849594419.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333849594419.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 74
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333849618669.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333849618669.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 68
I've been doing this stuff long enough to know what will work and what won't. What you have there is a failure waiting to happen. I can in no way have any faith in a rigged job like that.

My main concern will be 1000, 5000 10,000 miles down the road how the JBweld will hold up.

With heat, thermal expantion movement of the block and the oil pressure, if the plug of JBWeld will blow back out.

My main concern will be 1000, 5000 10,000 miles down the road how the JBweld will hold up.

With heat, thermal expantion movement of the block and the oil pressure, if the plug of JBWeld will blow back out.

That's why on the rear bearing (pictured) I did install the Block off bearing 180 out aligning the hole with the outer hole so that the bolt would go through and press the bearing against the oiling hole in the block. The jbweld was more to give it a snug fit between the bore and bearing and block the hole at the same time. Also I covered it with high temp RTV so that it would hold the jb weld in case it would chip away...

The Front bearing was installed with ease like it should be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back