The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

BSE- HELP!! is this common or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyt

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2008
Bronx, New_York
Ok so when I bought this motor and was striping it down, inside the oil pan I found a piece of a bearing (pic 1). So I thought that is was a main or rod bearing. It was not!:nono: So today I was going to install the block off bearings and I noticed ( after I took the front bearing off) that the rear bearing was not there (pic 2), I thought it was odd until I put the pieces together.... That was the bearing that came off. So I looked at the balance shaft and Bam! the balance shaft was rubbing on the block creating the opening ( where the rear bearing would go) bigger... Pic 3,4,5 Notice how the balace shaft was worn down:ohdamn:

So, the rear block off bearing will not fit in the bore cause its now too small, neither will the front bearing fit.

Question:
Can I just block off the front bearing and leave the rear one as is??? I know will somewhat loose oil pressure, but will it be too much to cause damage if any???:hmm:

What Can I do... Thanks Guys

Attachments

• IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMAG1452.jpg
    IMAG1452.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG1455.jpg
    IMAG1455.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG1456.jpg
    IMAG1456.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG1454.jpg
    IMAG1454.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 93
I can't tell by the pictures, but is that the front or rear bs? A spun bearing on the rear shaft is very comon, and not a bid deal. The shaft oils that bearing, and the new stub shaft takes care of blocking off the oil.

If its a front one, your going to either be creative, or pick up another block. With the hole tore up like that, the block off bearing won't stay put, or seal up. You'll need to devise a way to plug the oil hole. Keep in mind that it can't leak, or come out, as it will ruin the engine if it does. It also can't stick in to far and block part of the main oil galley.
I think some sort of an aluminum rod with a step machined into it could be made so it is captured between the oil hole and the plug screwed in after mitsu drilled the hole.

A little o-ring on the part that sticks in the oil hole, and your golden.

Its the rear bearing from the front shaft.... The front bearing is good and I can block it off.

Since the rear bearing came off and the balance shaft made the bore bigger, can I just leave it like that without blocking it??

If you even attempt to drive it with that port open, I give you an hour or so of driving. Tops. Your best and cheapest bet is to find a new block. They go so cheap on CL, its not really going to be worth the time or effort hoping that your solution to blocking it off works, because your not going to know untill you start the motor..

DO NOT not block that off. I just finished re-rebuilding my block because the machine shop pressed one of those out and I lost oil pressure. She made it 5 miles before it started knocking. See if a machine shop can bore the rear one out.to the same size as the front one.

There is an acess hole with a plug in it, it lines up with the oil galley hole for the shaft.

Pull the plug, tap the oil galley, plug, then reinstall the outer plug.

If you even attempt to drive it with that port open, I give you an hour or so of driving. Tops. Your best and cheapest bet is to find a new block. They go so cheap on CL, its not really going to be worth the time or effort hoping that your solution to blocking it off works, because your not going to know untill you start the motor..

:nono:The cheapest would be blocking it somehow...The block was sent to the machine shop and had it worked on...I installed my pistons etc etc... Assembly is done except for this which was overlooked.

There is an acess hole with a plug in it, it lines up with the oil galley hole for the shaft.

+1

And never not Not block it off. 5 miles or an hour, either or they are not good outcomes. Listen from others mistakes.

DO NOT not block that off. I just finished re-rebuilding my block because the machine shop pressed one of those out and I lost oil pressure. She made it 5 miles before it started knocking. See if a machine shop can bore the rear one out.to the same size as the front one.

:nono:If you Block it off, you will not loose oil pressure. You loose oil pressure if is kept open. Just wanted to know if its ok for to leave that oil galley unblocked and just block the front one....

:thumb: BogusSVO, can you show me in a pic where exactly?? is it towards the rear or the front ( where that plug is ).... Thanks

Another thing I was thinking was to get a piece of pipe ( small exhaust pipe ) and make a bearing that would fit to block it off... take a tail pipe extender and open it up so that I can tap it into that bore in a snug fit.... any thoughts??

:thumb: BogusSVO, can you show me in a pic where exactly?? is it towards the rear or the front ( where that plug is ).... Thanks

If you look at the block, there is a hump in the block where the BS lives.

In this hump, you will see 2 plugs, one at the front bearong, and one for the rear.
The are a Phllips style, or they are on the 7 bolt block I just looked at.

These plugs are from the factory where they drilled the oil galleys from outside the block going in.

Sad to say, but you will have to fully dissassemble the engine to remove any and all drill/tap chips from the oil galley.

BogusSVO,
what about just making a bearing to block off the oiling holes out of a piece of pipe??

Simple... the BS bore is not round anymore, so how are you going to conform the pipe to the egg shaped hole?

I doubt it will seal the oil galley properly.

Sweet, I'll avoid that one.

Awesome, thanks!

Slowboy racing has the OEM kit for $38!! way cheaper than xpsi...OEM!! the whole kit...way cheaper than anywhere else

OK so I read the other thread you sent me.... I drew this up quick in order to clarify what you sent me and what SCIONDAN did... which is the better of the two?

(this would apply to front or rear bearing)

First pic: is what you said... now do you put some sort of sealant so that it can completely block off the hole along with red locktite at the threads on the outer area??

2nd Pic:
is what I think ScionDan did.... used the supplied bearing (Shown in green) and ran the bolt (red) through in order to "press" the bearing onto the oil galley in order to give it more support

Thoughts??

While everyone is on the topic of eliminating the balance shafts, what BSE kits do you guys recommend?

Use this kit

Attachments

• IMAG1463-1.jpg
    IMAG1463-1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG1464-1.jpg
    IMAG1464-1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 80
This could be used on either bearing for the front shaft.

I think it depends on how out of round the bore is after the bearing was trashed if the second method would even work. Second, it wouldn't be a very large screw/bolt so the potential for the tip to "walk" along the bearing surface and fail to provide additional support for the bearing itself concerns me.

The first method, yes would require some thread sealant to completely seal the bearing's oil feed. It would be the same as Bogus suggested in post #7, except that you're using a single plug rather than two. The external engine plugs are something like 1/16" diameter plugs; I'm not sure you'll find one long enough to reach both points.

EDIT - Image below from this post on EvoM: http://forums.evolutionm.net/10064648-post84.html; this person used a 1/16" pipe plug for the oil gallery and a 1/8" pipe plug for the engine block.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back