The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Broke off a chunk of my transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpk1337

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Just finished rebuilding my transmission, and the chunk circled in red broke off. Was wondering how important this bolt hole is. Has anyone stripped this hole, and run their car? Took it to a local welder but he recommended that I completely disassemble everything, and bring back just the bell housing case, because the heat up might damage the parts inside.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is what I would do in this situation: bolt the tcase to the transmission, and bolt the broken part on as well, after getting it lined up as best as possible. Next, take a side grinder along the crack on the side opposite the t case mating side to create a valley, then have him weld it- slowly, by doing .5" at a time, letting it cool a bit, then going further. once that side is done, unbolt the t case, remove it, and grind the crack on that side and weld. This way, its lined up well, and the Tcase bolted on during welding on the one side will serve to not only keep the parts lined up, but also serve as additional heat sink. Being in that spot, you shouldnt hurt anything welding it, exept for the axle seal, and even then it should be fine.

Thanks for the advice Kchaazz! Beats having to tear apart the tranny again. :D Now to find someone willing to do the work. Probably a good thing the first guy didn't take the job since I didn't have the transfercase with me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back