The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My broke ass needs a new clutch...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bestwestranger

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2003
Cotter, Arkansas
:cry: Like the title says, my broke ass needs a new clutch. I have 110k on the original 1991 set, so I am pondering going brand new stock from the Mitsu dealer. I know a guy there that gave me a good price which is just over a reman kit from Autozone. I really wanted to go aftermarket here, but so far it has been in the cost-prohibitive range of $300+. Anyone know where I might be able to get something better than stock for just over $200? Or, know how to mix and match to get the same results? I don't plan to do many more mods in the next year other that kick the boost up to 15 psi and a 2 1/2" full exhaust. It's a daily driver, so it won't really see a whole lot more than a pass or two a month at the track. I will eventually step up to a better setup, but now its just not do-able. I am also not above any charity that may be handed to me from any kindhearted distributors or manufacturers (wink wink, nod nod), and know that your praises will be sung and your decals applied if anyone should come through! Any help on this subject will be gratefully apreciated. I plan to do the swap the first weekend of April, as the clutch's condition is getting worse be the day. So be quick with your responces please so I have time to order what I need to! Thanks guys....

okay here it goes sounds stupid but theoretically corrrect. I had a problem with clutchs holding power stock.I had a fairly decent stock clutch in my front wheel drive carfor a while and i realized it slipps bad under boost that would only allow me to put 207 hp to the ground. so i went a got one of those very same autozone clutchs witht eh life time warranty free!! LOL
my friend bought one from autozone so we used his warranty and traded in my blown mitsubishi clutch for a new one. well if my friends with dsms are like yours they all have awd and rave about it. well when they traded clutchs like a had planed theyu gave me a AWD clutch kit stock. designed to holdthe weigh and load of a heavier car and 4 drive wheels.!!! interesting i though.yea well the pressure plate is stronger in an AWD than in a fwd soi can hold hp like crazy now it hooks and everything.great cluthc from autozone 4th month. of use. easy on pedal pressure i guess it would be like a good street clutch for racing but it in no way compares to a 6 puck act. but it worth ever bit of the 150. or try to use some ones warranty for an awd clutch . But like i said put the awd clutch oem in a fwd it will hold really good.

Dude, English please, seriously.

I wouldn't suggest going to Autozone for a clutch, the part quality just isn't going to be as good.

Save up and buy a nice 2100, you will feel better in the long run when you don't have to replace it for years.

Sorry about the English been up for 3 days. Now i got some sleep and some sanity.im not going to argue with the ACT 2100 its my choice of clutch aftermarket.you will need one any ways if you plan big hp. Im definitley serious though that the awd clutch is way better than the fwd clutch. but yea save the money for a new clutch is reccommended. LOL I only did it because it was free. so now i am saving my money and pooling it for an even beter clutch than act can offer. My other advice is get a southbend rally clutch for 175.

Well, I really do want to get the ACT setup, or something comperable, but at this time its just not possible. I'm still trying to recover from my little incident with a slipped timing belt. I can't wait too long and save for the one I want 'cause its slipping worse by the day. I think I will just get the cheapest I can find right now. Thanks for the AWD idea, I will look into that. I never had any slippage problems with the stock set untill recently when it just decided enough was enough. :barf:

well its a good idea if you plan to go that route. awd clutch is better in the front wheel drive anyways. it fits in the frontwheel drive same as the front wheel drive clutch. Im running it right now no joke.

Option number two what he said but you never know how well they will hold up id jsut stick with the autozone clutch becaus eonce you get it its for life so you get free clutchs the rest of your cars life pluss side. i dont mind because we have a garage and a cltuch job is like 2hours of work and drinking with my friends.

No way in hell would I buy a used clutch. I plan to do the Autozone thing. If I can get a year or two out of it, and I have the lifetime warrantee, it will be cool. Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it!:thumb:

a buddy of mine had an o'reilly's heavy duty clutch on his awd and it held up well (he said it was there equiv. of the act 2600) i think he paid like 100.00 for it (but that WAS with his discount ... i guess working there has it's ups)

I live in Tempe and I have a buddy that works at 4 Wheelers Supply. They are a Centerforce dealer and he can get them at cost. Thats what I did for my FWD and it works great and has help up for a bunch of 14.2 trips at the track. I can see what the cost is if you want and hopfully we can get you DSM working right. Email me @ [email protected] or shoot me an AIM hissviper

Michael
:laser: :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back