The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Borg Warner S200 (Bullseye S256) Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm probably going to switch boost sources, possibly go back to using the manifold source as opposed to the compressor housing source. I know that's probably considered witchcraft these days, but when I was running the 14b, boost was MUCH more predictable and controllable when using a manifold source. The second I switched to the pre-manifold source (a nipple on my LICP coupler) I noticed more spiking with the 14b and spiking plus creeping with the Borg.

Well my experience - I have an S258 w/ internal. The funds weren't there for an External gate @ the time so I gave it a shot.

It's nice, you have to tighten up the wastegate actuator a bit. enough to run 20 psi minimum and this helps with the blow open problems. I have a boost taper as well - it will hit 27 fall to 23.

I'm going external this week. just a 38mm Tial off the O2. Just got finished tuning my buddys 2.0 on an S362 (amazing car/Turbo continously pulled until 9000rpms and didn't want to stop) and he's using a recirculated tial 38mm O2 housing with ROCK SOLID boost. It hits 28 psi and stays there. it hits it hard and doesn't fluctuate @ all. We're getting ready to test out the 30psi range here with the bigger meth nozzel.

These turbos are AMAZING. Super reliable, their compressor maps are as insane as OEM mitsu turbos - meaning that no matter what gear, what throttle position, what RPM there neither of us have any compressor surge at all. We use DSMLink Anti-Lag and the turbo loves it. I get 20 PSI before leaving the hole... God help my Transmission ;)
:dsm:

Hey thanks for Chiming in! I'll pretty much sold when I'm ready for a larger turbo.
Also 20psi on the launch!?

Hell yeah 20 PSI on the launch. Anti-Lag is sweet. I 27 psi @ 3800RPMs. Yes this is a journal bearing, in the .55 a/r DSM housing.

These turbos are siccccccccck. I can't praise them enough. Everyone should have one. they're a whole lot cheaper to rebuild than those Ball Bearings everyone loves to talk about so much and they spool just as fast. Rumor has it that ETT makes more torque than the standard BB turbos as well.. all while carrying a lower price tag.

I don't know why anyone questions it. I guess because it's relatively new... Borg Warner isn't though. They've been an OE Manufacturer for many years.. Mostly for VW and Audi. They're German... can't go wrong with that!

I'm just afraid the Journal Bearing won't last as long as a BB turbo

I'm just afraid the Journal Bearing won't last as long as a BB turbo

You got the wrong idea there buddy - the Journal bearings are typically tougher in my opinion & cheaper to rebuild.

If you have a turbo oil filter, change your oil frequently, and make sure you turbo time your car before you shut it off - you've got nothing to worry about. It'll for many thousand miles - you'll probably wanna upgrade or sell your car before this turbo goes bad.

that's normally how it works with me anyway:sneaky:

You mean the Wastegate? LOL Punishment and FP make V band o2 housing to have the Wastegate recirculate.
BOV is after FMIC.

He said 38mm tial ha. You got 272's on your 14b? How does that help on top end? I'm scared to install mine since I am still on the 14b as well. I figure it might get scared and blow up. This thing has no top end.

Um. It blows nuts. haha. I blew mine cause it was tired and old so I really couldn't tell yeah. But the spool time was nuts! I was hitting 8psi (Breaking in Boost) at 3200...

I have one last question. Is the 256 = to the 60-1 or the 57trim? I've read so damn many # and codes I'm getting a migraine.haha

I think its a 50 trim but flows like a 30r... that's what steve told me.

Just got my s256 installed last night have a few more things to finishup after work and will be driving it tonight. I have the 02 recirculated with tial 38mm. Im not running no less than 25psi. I had a fp red and it took a turn south. After 2 years of owing it. I wanted something more street able and fun so I chose the s256. I will let you guys know how it is tonight. I drove it around the block last night and got on it a little ah man!!!!ROFLROFL I cant wait till i get off of work!!!:sneaky::sneaky:

I've heard that the Compressor Housing cracks. True anybody ran over 10K miles with it?

Cool. Who is a good vendor for these turbos? and They do clear the water pipe right? Sorry for so damn many Qs just want it right.

Cleared my 1G water pipe just fine. Had issues with the oil drain line hitting the motor mount and the compressor outlet being much lower than the rest of my piping, but I was able to work something out. 2Gs shouldn't have these issues though because your front roll stop is located differently.

I was wondering since I have a 6 bolt swap in mine.

Marti at VIP garage is the guy to talk to. Good prices and knows his shit. He's on here a godo amount just do a search they have a whole thread called "borgwarner s200(s256) review"

Im gonna chime in here with a question for you guys running the smaller bw turbos.

Everyone seems to say spool is just as good as a BB turbo but they don't seem to ever mention spool recovery after shifts. I can honestly say that I have ridden in a car with a comparable turbo to mine that was BB and his boost recovery after the shift was way better than mine.

I guess my question is how is the smaller turbo's boost recovery after shifts?

I didn't have to dent my water pipe nor did my buddy on his S362. Great fitments, rock solid turbos.

Boost recovery (without no lift to shift) is next to instant. Boost recovery doesn't exist with the NLTS - it stays spinning all the time. Siiiiiiiiiiick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back