The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasterbath

Probationary Member
Jan 23, 2019
Sicamous, BC_Canada
Hi, i am wandering how much power can the caravan (srt4) motor make when built for boost.
I wanted to go n/a before but i need that power and boost is easy.
What is the best trans for a longitudinal setup?
Do diesel turbos work just as fine as performance turbos?
Can a 2.4l give me reliable boost power everyday?
Dont say buy a 4g63 because they are expensive where i live. (As in a couple grand but a 2.4l will probably be $500)

I believe you already asked this, but there aren't any longitudinal transmissions for the Chrysler engines; you'd need to pick one and have adapter(s) made to mate the two together. This will add considerable cost if you aren't doing the fab work yourself, and isn't what I'd call "doable" by the average mechanic.

Also, the clutch system for the neon, caliber, pt-cruiser srt-4 motors are modular, and not like a standard clutch system. IF you use the Chrysler clutch, that will increase complexity even further.

If you're bound and determined to use the srt-4 motor, it's going to be difficult going for you.

To answer your question, typically I see srt-4 motors in good, stock condition making around 400 before needing more than bolt-ons. If you're starting from scratch, build the motor for big boost and then you won't have to worry about it.

Alot of diesel turbo make great power on cars like ours, Holsets being the most famous. Once again, adapting to the Chrysler motor will probably cost a bit more than a 4g, as you'll need to get a new turbo exhaust manifold. An hx35, hy35 or he351cw would work, the Hy being the best bet of the 3 for a street car.

Last edited:
why not look for the non-evo based 4g63, or g4cs and or 4g64 blocks? any of those should be 500$ USD. probably running. the only concern would be if you picked up a wideblock 4g64, but in a custom application i do not know that would matter much. if you want to do something crazy you could go the 6g74 or 6g75 route also. they mount very similar to the 4g63 and are a quite capable v6 with boost potential.

The Caravan and SRT4 motors are very different.
The Caravan 2.4L wouldn't like more than 300wtq before rods bend. This is probably 11-12 psi on a 16G.

The SRT4 motor would probably make 400-450wtq before things start to fail.

There are adapter plates to use a 727 Torqueflite on the 2.4L, but that's it for longitudinal transmissions. As mentioned above, the Holset HX35 or HY35 would do fine on an SRT4 engine.

The caravan and srt4 block have the same structure just different internals.
And i live in canada so the prices are a little bit different.
I dont make much money and i am looking for a cheap but reliable power.
Has any body made a adapter plate for a powerglide to go on the 2.4l?
Where would i go for bored head gaskets, say .20 over?
Finally, does the 2.4l with turbo boost have a good powerband or does n/a have a better powerband?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back