The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Blow thru maf / speed density Air filter Question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2003
Bloomington, Minnesota
I am considering using the place where my side mount intercooler was for an air filter location...

Since a blow thru or just speed density ("MAP sensor" for the :confused: ) will be used why even put a filter in the engine compartment.

I'm thinking I can mount a much larger filter in a lower and cooler location using a much straighter intake pipe than going to the oe location...

Think about a filter in the old side mount cavity using that whole corner as a cold air box then running the duct as close to straight sideways as possible to the compressor inlet.

If anyone has done it pics please..

I would be hesitant to do so (if I am reading your post right) for the sheer fact of taking in water when it rains. I guess it would depend on how the filter was oriented, but I think you'd have greater success ducting the spot in the fender to the intake, rather than a cold air type of system.

Look at dre's site. He has some good pics of his, if memory serves me correct. His was made of PVC too.

Originally posted by MNGSX

Think about a filter in the old side mount cavity using that whole corner as a cold air box then running the duct as close to straight sideways as possible to the compressor inlet.

If anyone has done it pics please..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

351motor_finished550x.JPG

I'm sure alot of people have done it.

Some people just do things very well and others just OK..

I guess I was looking for the best example of it.

As for water problems I have a few Ideas to block water while flowing air... Mostly I'm not that concerned about it. Modify a car to a certain point and it is'nt exactly the ride you choose to dash across town in a t-storm...

I will look for dre's site....

Found it

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice work.. simple and effective...

Having equipment to weld AL I think I will go with an AL 90.

I'm still thinking of going under the oe airbox area as opposed to over it then in...

ya man, alot of people have done this once they put there blow thru kit on. what many do and i plan to do once i put mine on is just go to home depot and get some nice 3'' light weight pipes and go from there i plan on funning mine straight to the stock side mount location where there will be two holes the hole for the fog light witch is being taken out plus the cap for that hole and the stock hole the brings air to the smic. also i plan on finding a stock smic air duct and cut it up to send it to my intake pipe.

as for the ran ill have two pipes one for when its nice out and one for when its ranning if im driving my car. at this point changing the intake pipe wll be 1 clamp very very easy to change if ran starts to come. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back