The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Belts scream then car stalls

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LidnDom

Proven Member
Jan 13, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Hello, looking for some guidance before I mess something up. When I try to drive, my belts start to scream terribly loud before the car stalls completely. This is with very gentle driving and barely getting into 2nd gear. The car idles fine and only squeals when I rev. I recently finished installing cams and valve springs so this is my first time taking it out.

Hmm, that's an odd issue. Can you see if your alternator pulley is freely rotating along with the belt? It could be seized or slipping, causing the alt to not produce the required output, but I'm not sure if that would cause a stall. Maybe you have a combination of problems. Actually, you said you just finished installing cams. Can you double check if the camshaft positin sensor connector is firmly plugged in? Do you have a Check Engine Light?

Haven't been able to touch the car in a while. I remedied the belt scream but I still have the stalling issue which only happens above 2k rpm. From what I was able to narrow it down to I'm guessing that it's related to either the alternator or water pump.

With the alternator belt on: car stalls past 2k rpm
With the alternator belt removed: car revs well and doesn't die

I took the chance of a possible alternator problem to upgrade to a galant 90 amp but the issue persists. Not sure where to look next.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check for boost leaks, I had a similar issue .One of my couplings on the piping was loose . Although this would cause it to idle bad . Is your alternator charging properly? Mine currently has the timing belt a tad bit too lose and believe it jumped a tooth ,causes engine to idle different at times and belts start squealing bad . Specially during cold start ups. Just a few things that Ive been through that maybe helps ‍♂️

I suspect something alternator wise, like it's not being excited properly and is trying to go full nuts on start. Have you check voltage output while doing the above test?

Otherwise the water pump may be sizing, but how does it spin with the belt removed?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back