The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

BC 280 cams, single springs, what rpm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90laserRSfwd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2007
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
I have a stock (ported wise) cylinder head (1g core)
BC single springs with titanium retainers
ferrea s/s std. size valves
3g lifters
BC 280 cams (intake and exhaust)

I have a PTE scm6152e turbo with a 2 1/2" o2 housing
3" turbo back exhaust (mandrel bent, no cat, no muffler)
3" intake pipe with an open K&N filter
and the mod's listed in my profile

My question is what rpm is safe to rev to on those springs? Should I just buy dual vlave springs and call it a day? I have a maft and dsmlink for tuning so no worries there, just wondering what rpm you guys recommend. I was thinking 8K max?

Thanks in advance, Jayson :laser:

(I wasn't sure if I should post this under the cyl. head and block forum or where so moderator's feel free to move this)

I have a stock (ported wise) cylinder head (1g core)
BC single springs with titanium retainers
ferrea s/s std. size valves
3g lifters
BC 280 cams (intake and exhaust)

I have a PTE scm6152e turbo with a 2 1/2" o2 housing
3" turbo back exhaust (mandrel bent, no cat, no muffler)
3" intake pipe with an open K&N filter
and the mod's listed in my profile

My question is what rpm is safe to rev to on those springs? Should I just buy dual vlave springs and call it a day? I have a maft and dsmlink for tuning so no worries there, just wondering what rpm you guys recommend. I was thinking 8K max?

Thanks in advance, Jayson :laser:

(I wasn't sure if I should post this under the cyl. head and block forum or where so moderator's feel free to move this)

if you only reving it to 8k, BC's springs will be great with 280 cams. when my engine is fully broken in, ill be reving my BC 280's and springs past 9k.

i got a quick question, are the BS stage 2, 272 cams regrinds or hard welds/billet?....

BC are new cores, no regrinds there.

9K seems on the high side for singles but the BC springs were designed to work with the 280 cams & I'm pretty sure that I read BC saying they were good to something rediciously high, like 9500 rpms, no problem. Obviously something you would want to verify first. BC has very good customer service, give them a shout directly & they can tell you exactly how high to rev them with your setup.

Just an update... I took my car to 8100 rpm and the motor blew up, we suspect it was my AWESOME balance shafts that have it out to get me. Lost about 4K in parts and labor.. Love those balance shafts!!! Sold me BC single springs and had a set of custom dual springs being made by comp cams ... 11k rpms anyone ? I need a gt4202r turbo if anyone is interested in trading for a mostly stock 91 tsi awd 5 speed car...

Why the heck would you NOT purchase dual valve springs and have a guarantee of safe revving to 9K? Is it worth losing your motor over $200?

Man, I would not want to "hope" that it stays together when I am running down the track; I would rather KNOW it WILL stay together and run properly.

Why the heck would you NOT purchase dual valve springs and have a guarantee of safe revving to 9K? Is it worth losing your motor over $200?

Man, I would not want to "hope" that it stays together when I am running down the track; I would rather KNOW it WILL stay together and run properly.

This is a really good point. When you've got the $$ and mods you need to run stupid high RPM and big cams, why would you skimp on valve springs just because you can?

I run on Stock valvetrain. I have comp 100's and spin them to 8500. No problems for 11,000 miles...

The reason i never put springs in was , at the zero mile mark on the head i had my stock cams, intake evo 3 turbo...

Then after 4,ooo miles I dropped in an fp green, comp 1oo's, JmF RACE mani, and a chipped e-prom...

For 7.ooo miles its been 8500 rpm's.... Just havent had the need to take the head apart yet...

Maybe next year...:thumb:

Perhaps you all took that the wrong way. I should have put that I was alluding to my trans holding shifts that high. I may be brave or naiive, but I'm really not worried about spinning the valve train to 9k. As for the skimping comment, if anyone has seen my build thread, the word skimping isn't in my vocabulary.

Perhaps you all took that the wrong way. I should have put that I was alluding to my trans holding shifts that high. I may be brave or naiive, but I'm really not worried about spinning the valve train to 9k. As for the skimping comment, if anyone has seen my build thread, the word skimping isn't in my vocabulary.

I know, I know...I was just giving you a little crap. LOL:D ROFL

Still, I would go with duals on 280's and up just for the peace of mind. :thumb:

I have BC280's and BC springs and retainers,and i rev also to 8500 rpm,no problem.Before i was even able to buy these cams,i spoke to Brian/Crower/ and he gave me a link to Mowery racing.There is this guy Josh/owner/.He has absolutelly awesome RWD talon,that prbably goes8's and according to him,they used BC single springs,BC 288 cams and rev the car to about 11000prm's.I know doubles are much safer,i am just quoting other people.On the other ahnd .i think Jake Montgomery uses single Crower springs,but they are shimmed.

I have BC280's and BC springs and retainers,and i rev also to 8500 rpm,no problem.Before i was even able to buy these cams,i spoke to Brian/Crower/ and he gave me a link to Mowery racing.There is this guy Josh/owner/.He has absolutelly awesome RWD talon,that prbably goes8's and according to him,they used BC single springs,BC 288 cams and rev the car to about 11000prm's.I know doubles are much safer,i am just quoting other people.On the other ahnd .i think Jake Montgomery uses single Crower springs,but they are shimmed.

The spring seat pressure is very important when going high rpms, and that is why people shim the singles to do the job to increase spring seat pressure. I knew that Jake's car was running singles in the past.

Josh Mowery is Wildeclipse2000; he has Buschur's old "mighty mouse" that Bruce Kwartler drove. It has been up on DSM Trader for a long time for sale.

I never found any website for Mowery Racing, but I know that he didn't build that car. The only searches I found were less than desirable ones that I am not posting here.

Attachments

• Buschur9.jpg
    Buschur9.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 425
I revved my FP2's with stock valvetrain to 8500 all the time on the old head. With my BC spring/retainer/280's I definitely plan on spinning to 9k this season. Let's hope she'll hold :coy:

how do the FP2 cams compare to the BC stage 2 cams?... if i get the BC 272 cams, would i still be able to rev up to 8k RPM safely?...

I know, I know...I was just giving you a little crap. LOL:D ROFL

Still, I would go with duals on 280's and up just for the peace of mind. :thumb:

Touche :p I would have gone duals to, but to be perfectly honest (and kicking myself) I didn't even think about it when I placed my order. :beatentodeath:

how do the FP2 cams compare to the BC stage 2 cams?... if i get the BC 272 cams, would i still be able to rev up to 8k RPM safely?...

I haven't had personal experience with the BC cam (yet) and I don't have teh 272's either. According to the feedback from other users, the BC 272 should be good to go at 8k, but then again, that's really car specific (health and such).

I always over anylize and overprotect, but i put SI double springs and titanium retainers in my car when i did the head over and put the 272's in, just because it is cheap insurance for peace of mind. Just my opinion though.

A buddy here was running BC 272's on his 2.0 and was reving them to 9k and he said the car still wanted to pull past that but thats all dsmlink will rev to I believe. He also had a T67.

To the OP I woulnt take those springs past 8k rpm. This is from people that I know that have ran these springs.

A buddy here was running BC 272's on his 2.0 and was reving them to 9k and he said the car still wanted to pull past that but thats all dsmlink will rev to I believe. He also had a T67.

To the OP I woulnt take those springs past 8k rpm. This is from people that I know that have ran these springs.

which springs are you referring to?...

has anyone mentioned in here spring pressure at all in this thread? single or dual isnt going to matter, its all spring pressure. just because its dual, doesnt make it any stiffer. brian crower lists on their site:

BC1100 Seat: 1.550" @ 84 lbs / Open: 1.000" @ 235 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.935" (no machine work required)

jackson auto machine lists for their JAM dual valve spring kit:

Having a good valve spring will prevent serious engine damage and failures.
Valve spring specs are:
*92 lbs @ 1.600
Open pressure:
*215 lbs @ 1.100

^there are some numbers, but im too lazy to converting to see which ones are actually stiffer. and im sure there are other numbers for other spring kits, but im at work and dont have too much time to research this any further at the moment.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back