The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bad noise from rear after flywheel and clutch install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIfreek

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 14, 2003
cary, Illinois
Ok guys I need all the help I can get on this one.
I just replaced my clutch with a competition stage 2 kit with there light weight steel flywheel.
Now im getting this terrible rowling noise like the driveshaft wants to come threw the floor only on decell while in gear and at speed just trying to keep pace.
I have done some reading or seaches and seen alot of complaints on this and no fix and that this is normal. I wont take normal for a answer on this.
I have shock proof in the rear and the transfer case and both yoke bearings feel tight.
Driveshaft U joints are tight and the rear bearing is filled with silicone.
I did not have this noise before the install and its driving me nuts thiking somthng is going to break. (was using the factory flywheel)
I put it in netural at any speed and it goes away. Its only in decel while in gear (off the gas)
Sounds like there is a lot of slop in the drivetrain and things are fighting with each other like the front of the driveshaft is spining slower than the rear.
If it were the flywheel I would be able to put it in neutral with the car at a stop and rev the motor and I would get a vibration. Doesnt make sense.
I have way to much money in the trany and the engine for me just to say its ok.
I dont know if the answer is to have the rear end rebuilt but just need more replys on what you guys have found. Thanks for any of your help and a good reply will get you rep points. WTF

Well well, So someone else has this problem.....?

Same but mine is a whirring and it Decelerates to the same speed of the car. But load the trans and its gone, The first thing that comes to mind first is something is loose internal in the trans, Second is the transfer is bad or worn. I grew up around 4x4 trucks and know this sound well since 4x4 always fight from front to rear the grunt in this battle is the transfer.
It makes a Specific sound too and location, Look for a Speed match sound, with no load on the drive train * DECELERATION* should come from center or front of car.

The cause for this is slack in the gears, just over time and abuse they wear and grind in bad cases, but most of the time its the bearings and can be fixed.

As far as the loose internals I seen a VAFQ on this that should help find a good source for noise and crappy performance and seems to be common problem among DSM's http://www.geocities.com/qwik93awd/Vfaq/shifter.htm

Possibly clutch "chatter"? My car does this since I put in a 6 puck and a lightweight flywheel. I've lived with it for 10k miles.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back