The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Backfire between shifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBDSM

Probationary Member
Dec 10, 2002
CaliforniaUS
I was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers as to why our cars would backfire between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with the following information:
-It doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while
-HK$ is vented back to intake
-Zero boost leaks
-I don't think it's the injectors because it happens with both the stock injectors and new 750's

Hmm, if you need any other information I'll gladly provide it. I just really need to figure this out because I need to pass emissions and I think this is the problem (the thing I'm failing is high HC's).

Thanks guys:)

Originally posted by Defiant
Possibly an exhaust leak, such as a cracked header, O2 housing, or pipe flange gasket blown.
All right I'll check that out. Before I did check that, but just did a quick visual inspection looking for huge cracks and making sure all bolts were torqued down correctly....
What's the best way to check for exhaust leaks? What I heard before was with the car on, have a friend cover the exhaust with a piece of plywood REALLY quick, like less than a second, while you are under the hood looking for an exhaust leak. I'm kind of scared to do this though. Does anybody else have a good technique for looking for not so obvious exhaust leaks?

Get 4' of vacuum hose, hold one end to your ear and start going over the system with the other. When you find a leak, it'll sound like an F-14 going over. Do it with the idle around 2K.

Originally posted by Defiant
Get 4' of vacuum hose, hold one end to your ear and start going over the system with the other. When you find a leak, it'll sound like an F-14 going over. Do it with the idle around 2K.
Cool thanks. I do that for those hard to find intake leaks:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back