The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G AWD Half shaft alignment issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9 T GSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 19, 2008
St.Pete, Florida
Think I have discovered a issue no one has ran into before or at least I have not seen any mention of before OMG"I know impossible you say".

I am using the half shaft in my FWD but for some reason as the video shows the holes are not lining up?

I know there are 2 different style half shafts for the 2G's but as far as I know there is only one for the 6 bolt 1G?

I checked the shaft for anything being bent broke and all appears fine. All motor mounts are tight, trans to motor bolts tight. I pushed down on the shaft a little to if the holes would line up but its too far off.

The only thing that's different is when I had the transmission built, TRE used a 2G FWD case/gearset, as the transmission I sent them was an very early small shaft. Would it be possible that the hole for the CV axle in the 2G FWD Transmission sits a bit higher, wouldn't think so but strange things happen.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no audio in the video but it looks like it just needs pushed into place. The 2g uses the same axle position as a 1g trans, I've used both between 6 bolt swaps and AWD swaps. Don't forget the spacer for the second bolt on the block since theres no A/C bracket

No broken bolts inside the holes, the bolts screw into the holes without the shaft.
Good to know on the position. There is no pushing on the shaft anymore everything is seated well and on the video the one part of the half shaft is resting on the block, the other side that has the space between the half shaft and the block is where the spacer goes.I know about the spacer just haven't gotten around to put that to that point yet.

Pauleyman: there is some, I'm sure the bearing could be replaced but it spins smooth and is quiet. I have a guess normal amount of play where the shaft goes into the tranny if I lift up on the shaft, which the wrong way I need it to move.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back