The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G automatic shifting problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8mystery4lfe

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2012
Taylor, Michigan
hey guys, i have a 1991 plymouth laser rs auto tranny non-turbo

the tranny was rebuilt around 60000 miles and then it went out again around 105000 miles (i got it at 98000 miles) around june of last year i got the car, i would have to put it into reverse to engage it then put it into drive to shift. then around august of last year it just stopped shifting all together.

the things that are happening

1. when i put it in reverse it shoots me back
2. it wont shift at all
3. there is a high idle until it gets warmed up
4. the CEL should be on but its burnt out

if anybody has any questions about other info or has any answers for me any suggestions would be nice

Going down the list... 1. Is there any codes or what codes are showing? 2. The shifting problems sounds like the Sun Gear is going out on you, causing the hard throw backs....:hmm: Have you checked your pan to see if you any goodies yet?? :sneaky:

(Sun gear is the center gear that the planetary gears roll around on with the ring gear on the outside of the planetary gears. The Ring gear is what is gripped by the shift band when needed..)

Never heard of a sun gear going out-it's solid metal .. usually the clutches are what goes out.

My '91 ECL base (in my avatar) , with 201000 miles had the tranny replaced at 137K miles ago and runs like a dream.

Have you ever done a fluid flush and filter change?

Have you ever check your fluid level in NEUTRAL with the motor idling? ... and use ONLY ATF+4, or SP-II fluids?

Sound s like you're terribly low on fluid... You might have a torque converter leak where the imput shaft from the tranny is leaking around the converter's seal where the input shaft goes into the converter.

Put any other fluid in there and goodbye tranny.

well i did a fluid flush and filter change, i used the atf+4 fluid and it didnt help. there is a very small fluid leak. and when i did the change there were some shavings in the pan:( when i check the fluid its at full. i did it about 2 months ago and i havent drove it

the high rev kinda sounds like torque converter to me but the rest sounds like its time for another rebuild

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back