The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Auto trans will shift into gear but will not move (much)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khartley

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2004
Faith, South_Dakota
Backstory:

91 gsx with 90k miles I picked up at the junkyard for $500 cause I couldn't stand to see this nice of a car go to waste. It has been sitting about a year. It jumped timing. I did the timing and rebuilt the head, even went so far as to rebuild the turbo and install ARP headstuds and a cometic headgasket. Started it up today for the first time and it idled actually really well.....

But this is my first auto pretty much EVER, I know NOTHING about them. I still have to buy a downpipe and tires for this car and I just wanted to make sure it would run before I blow another $500 on it.

Long story short:

Engine runs fine. No exhaust currently hooked up past o2 housing. Car will shift into gear (it will jerk slightly when shifting into reverse, drive, etc). But when I rev up to even 3k it will not move more than a few inches. Basically like it is always in neutral but I do feel that initial jerk of a shift into the specific gear.

So I ask you auto gurus.. what is my next step? I'm hoping there is something simple I could be overlooking... please don't say torque converter :/ I'll be honest if this thing ends up needing a tranny its getting parted out and the motor is going in my mighty max....

Thanks in advance everyone. I should know better than to go to the junkyard. EVER. Its like the crazy cat lady going to the animal shelter.. I just have to bring something home.

How do you people find deals like this it blows my freaking mind..A 91 gsx auto..Boner.

You said NOT to tell you its the converter.Well ummm :hmm:

Lol. So thats really the only option huh? Its got fluid in it and the fluid is not burned looking and it doesn't smell burned... But I suppose anything is possible. I just was hoping some magic DSM guru fairy would say something was unplugged or maybe I just need a fluid change LOL. I did not want to face reality of tearing back into this thing with winter peeking over my shoulder.

Ok, so how difficult is it to replace a torque converter? What all needs pulled off to do this little project?

And FYI I have no intentions of keeping this car, so if you felt like making a road trip, its all yours... just didn't want it in the junkyard, thats all...

Has the car been driven on the street? It sounds like a TC or pump issue.
You will have to pull the Trans to get the convertor out. It can be a pain you have to keep the TC in the Trans when pulling it, and prying against the flex plate usually isn't a good idea. Speed sensor and shifter cable. To adjust it (shifter cable)when installed set geat selctor inline with neutral hole and shifter in neutral. Then tighten the night.
You may need to pull the exhaust to get the T case off. Both axles and the half shaft need removed. The crossmember. I also like to take out the plate just to the right of that, it has five bolts. It allows the Trans to come almost straight down. If you look down at the Trans to the left of the Trans cooler in/out there is a loop there this is perfect center. I use "Mule Tape" make a good knot. Jack the hoist till there is good tension but not lifting the motor. Undo the Trans to motor bolts. I like to take the Trans mount off the car and the transmission. It just makes it easier.

Last edited:
Exhaust is off. I assume the car has been driven on the street, but honestly I don't know any history, I just rescued it from the junkyard is all.

Damn. So its basically as extensive as putting a clutch in a manual. I'm an auto newb.

Did you check the trans fluid with the car running, warmed up, in neutral ?

I'm dealing with the same problem right now. You should look for my post because some other members posted some extremely useful information on there.

I'm just going to pull my trans, get a my TC checked and have Zim rebuild the whole thing so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

You should pull you TCU out and see if you can move the car. I was able to at least get her going once I pulled the TCU.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back