The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Auto Trans. No Gear's Grind's into park

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solaire

Probationary Member
Apr 6, 2018
Palm Bay, Florida
So 2 days ago i was pulling out of my subdivision and got to about 20mph when i heard a small bump. Suddenly i had no power. I pulled off onto a side street and threw it in park. Thats when i heard grinding. Also park doesn't engage. I assume the tranny is shot but is there another possibility?

You could have a broken manual valve or a cable issue with it not moving the selector outside like it should, something more obvious would be a broken or disconnected half shaft on one side or the other.

To test whether or not the shift cable is bad, disconnect the shift cable from the trans and manually place the trans in park (under the hood). Make sure the shifter is also in park. Now put the shifter in drive, so the tcu is following your actions, and have an assistant shift the transmission into drive from under the hood, while you safely keep the brakes applied. See if the car tries to move. If nothing happens, you're likely looking at an internal trans problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back