The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Are these pistoms good to use with broken side skirts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
I'm very dissapointed with the packaging job of an ebay seller I recently dealt with. I opened my box of 3 OEM mistubishi EVO 8 pistons and rods, to find two of the pistons directly contacting eachother. As detailed by the first pic. I immediately checked the side of this piston and it's a little scuffed, not too bad though. The main issuse is tgat 2 of the pistons have damaged side skirts. One is broken right off, the other is cracked and dented. Both of these damages are limited to the very thin section on the very bottom of the skirts.

Are these pistons useable in my build with this damage after the machine shop cleans them up? I'm hoping for as much as 450hp.

Attachments

• 20201001_105523.jpg
    20201001_105523.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20201001_105533.jpg
    20201001_105533.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201001_105551.jpg
    20201001_105551.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201001_110832.jpg
    20201001_110832.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201001_111208.jpg
    20201001_111208.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 75
Get your money back. If the seller won't give it back just take out a case against them and ebay WILL refund your money. It may take a couple weeks but ebay gives buyers their money back 99% of the time weather the buyer should be able to or not. (in your case your not in the wrong)

File a claim. Ebay will side with you. And get your money back. That's poor ass packaging as well. I resale on Ebay and ship stuff on the daily. If I ship an item to a buyer poorly...and it arrives there broken/damaged. It would be 100% my fault for not packaging it properly.

Super bummer because it appears that one layer of bubble wrap would have prevented this. Knucklehead move on the seller’s part. You will forever be in doubt as redline approaches if you install them.
A shame it falls on you to resolve.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sorry to kinda bump this. I didn't consider this before because I wanted to upgrade my pistons, but I've got now another set of pistons and rods hopefully on the way, from an EVO 9 this time, however the pistons arent in the greatest shape (coating worn through, lots of carbon in the tops) BUT I've still got a set of stock 2G turbo pistons and rods that only have a few dozen km of low boost tuning on them.

I'm thinking there are two perks, the 2g pistons are slightly higher comoression, for a little more response, and essentially brand new. I know the evo pistons are generally considered to be quite a bit stronger than the 2g ones, but my thinking is, now much stronger are some rough shape, high milage EVO 8/9 pistons vs brand new 2g turbo pistons.

Another thing that crossed my mind was mixmatching the evo 8 and 9 rods to get a set of 4 that are in the best shape possible. I know the evo 8 and 9 rods are very similar, but are they similar enough to mix and match balance wise? since I'll have 2 usable evo8 rods, and 4 - evo9 rods of questionsable quality (scuffing on sides of some rod caps, and potential out of round on some big ends not sure though, I just havent been given a gaurantee that the rods are within spec on the big ends.) could I put say 2 evo 8 rods in and 2 evo 9 rods with the 2G pistons?

If i do decide to go with the evo pistons, can I mix match between the 8s and 9s? Anybody know how much they each weigh?

Also, the writpins are the same external diameter between the evo and 2G but the evo have segnificatly beefier ones. I was thinking I'd opt for the evo pins just for added security, but the 2g pins are also brand new, so opinions on which to use would be helpful aswell.

I'm thinking 400hp is gong to be max I might be able to get out of pump on this thing. Do you think a brand new 2g piston/EVO8/9 rod combo be reliable at this power? If I go with meth in the future and shoot for 450 or so, will they be able to take that abuse?

The casting stamp on the 2g pistons is 63dTev if that makes a difference. I dont believe they are the stadard north american pistons.

Picture is worth 1000 words so we can see them.

Unfortunately these are the only pictures I have of the pistons right now. They're at the machine shop, but I think I heard they used pistons with this stamp in the JDM auto turbo motors, but I have yet to verify that.

These pistons do have a fair bit of carbon up top because I was running real rich for a while when tuning, and there is some minor scoring on the sides, but they are in better shape than my evo pistons for sure, and more than that, they haven't had time to fatigue yet.

These pistons strong enough to warrant swapping the evo rods on? Or would I break a piston before bending a rod? (The 2g rods in the pic are new aswell.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-152718_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-152718_Gallery.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20201007-152723_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-152723_Gallery.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 25
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back