1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Are FWD rack and pinions are the same as AWD?

Posted by Brembo, Jul 25, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    All right, normally I don't post here much but my rack and pinion over flow tubes are leaking and today I took some parts off to get a closer look and I found that it is moist by the big nut where the steering shaft goes in. Anyways, started to look for a rack and noticed that everywhere where it says fits awd it is out of stock. So I was wondering if their is a difference between fwd to awd. I don't think their should be but what do I know. So, if anyone has been in this situation please post. Maybe part numbers that 100% work. I have a 90 gsx 5 speed. Any info is much appreciated. Other choice I have either just try and order a fwd rack or rebuild the one I have. Thanks in advance.

Street Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    I'm pretty sure there is no difference, because you can get a manual rack out of a 1.8 FWD and put it in an AWD car no problem. I'm not totally sure on the powered FWD rack but I can't imagine they're different.

Did you check rockauto? That's where I got mine.

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  3. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2005
    SoCal, California
  4. Lucky13

Lucky13 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 20, 2002
    Palm Beach Gard, Florida
    I was able to find an AWD matching rack from a company called Detroitaxle on eBay ( about $110 ). Way cheaper than everyone else, showed up quickly, looked properly reman’d , and fit without issue.

ErikTande likes this.
  5. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    I did and thats why I am asking as awd rack is not available. I would think that they are the same but then why have differant racks. I actually watched your video, thanks for making them.

Street Build 2K  3

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    I also have installed a Detroit Axle rebuilt rack, and have a 90awd. They listed one unit for all years 90-94, though the parts catalog shows 90 as unique. I don’t recall if they list the same one for awd and fwd. It seems to be working fine (other issues preventing much driving so far), but I’m a little nervous that it may be leaking; though it might just be some fluid that escaped when I was installing it. They are rather difficult to swap, given very tight access, especially reaching down between engine and firewall to reach the column bolt and fluid fittings. I had to remove the down pipe and xfer case. Check your stabilizer mount bushings while you’re at it, since you need to remove It anyway. Same goes for rack mounts. My rebuilt one did fit in my car just like the one I took out, so in that sense seems the same. Maybe just internally distinct.

I still have my original, leaking rack, and will likely rebuild it myself at some point; fsm has a good description.

Street Build 487  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM