The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I actually have two fans already. The one on the driver's side is a pusher (obviously LOL). But I was considering leaning the rad forward a bit to aid in removal. We'll see what happens.
it will help you alot in space and time so will be a great idea to do, good luck on the progress and keep the good work up

Thanks!! I hope you make that upper control arm! Fiendishly rubbing my hands together with anticipation
oh its being made buddy, just finished getting specs from the new inner rod design so i know how to make the jig now so test sample being done soon

Hey @gsxitement

I have a couple road course questions.

there is a event taking place in July at Summit point WV. My suby buddies have asked me to go and I think I do want to participate in it with my GSX.

The questions I have are regarding setup of the dsm for road course action.

-Alignment ? (what specs)
-Tire ? what have you found to have great results (Nitto Nt01 or Toyo R888 or other?)
-Current brake setup
-And what steps have you taken to combat heat?

Hey @gsxitement

there is a event taking place in July at Summit point WV. My suby buddies have asked me to go and I think I do want to participate in it with my GSX.

-Tire ? what have you found to have great results (Nitto Nt01 or Toyo R888 or other?)
-Current brake setup

Great! Get out there! As far as my alignment, I'll have to recall from memory cause I don't have the sheets with me.
Front to: 0°
Front camber: -2.5°
Front caster: unaltered
Rear toe: 0°
Rear camber: -1.5

As far as tires are concerned: I've run both the Bridgestone RE71R and Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ZII. The Direzza is a great tire, but the Bridgestones were amazing, in my experience. I don't have any experience with the Toyos or Nittos. If it's your first time out, I'd probably go with something that has a little less available grip, just so you can find the limits at lower speeds. You don't wanna find out that at 100+ MPH, the tire you have won't take that corner. My brakes are Evo Brembos with Hawk pads. I have Hawk Blue racing pads that are going to go in before my first race at the end of this month. Now, as far as heat is concerned, I run a Mishimoto 3 row radiator, with a pusher and puller fan. I also have some very minor ducting to direct air to the rad and my other coolers. Water and water wetter is preferred at the track. I don't know what mods you have to your car, so it's tough to get idea of what it may do on track.
But if this is your first time out, Don't worry about lap times. Just go out and learn as much as you can. Speed will come as you learn. If you get a chance before the event, walk the track. Get idea of it up close. What's the pavement like. Are there any pavement changes in the middle of corner that could effect grip? Find your braking and turn in points. Listen to those that have been at that track before. Don't worry about going fast. Learn the line. Learn your car. As you start going to more events, you'll find that your speed will increase the more comfortable you get with what you're doing. It's a lot of fun and a way different experience than the drag strip. Good luck!!!

Let me know how you do!!

Hey @gsxitement

-Current brake setup

I just read your mods list. If you can dial back the power to something a little more forgiving, I'd do that. Going out on track for the first time with 600hp could end badly. Like I said, just go out and learn. Instead of going wide open on straights, just go half throttle. My first few sessions at NJMP, I was barely going wide open anywhere, even down the front straight. You're not gonna set fastest lap or break records your first time out. Seat time is the only way to make that happen. Just look, listen and learn. When your session is over, if you don't have a classroom session, find a nice place to watch other more experienced drivers. See what they're doing. Ignore the more advanced techniques like trail braking and stuff like that.

What group are you running with?

I just read your mods list. If you can dial back the power to something a little more forgiving, I'd do that. Going out on track for the first time with 600hp could end badly. Like I said, just go out and learn. Instead of going wide open on straights, just go half throttle. My first few sessions at NJMP, I was barely going wide open anywhere, even down the front straight. You're not gonna set fastest lap or break records your first time out. Seat time is the only way to make that happen. Just look, listen and learn. When your session is over, if you don't have a classroom session, find a nice place to watch other more experienced drivers. See what they're doing. Ignore the more advanced techniques like trail braking and stuff like that.

What group are you running with?

Hey Man. NO Idea on group the event link to sign up isn't even posted yet, but its far enough out so we all can get ready.

In regards to power, that is a an old mod list from my 97 GSX build. My 99 GSX is a little more tame.

7 Bolt Built block and head. 2.0L
272 Cams
Magnus intake
DNP manifold
PTE6262 .82ar
93pump
Tein Flex Coilovers
stock sways

460hp

I wanted to at least add a Oil cooler to this car to help with oil temps
And I plan to possibly add the RRE reverse hood vent as well. The rest of my setup should be fine and I can focus on suspension setup

Hey Man. NO Idea on group the event link to sign up isn't even posted yet, but its far enough out so we all can get ready.

In regards to power, that is a an old mod list from my 97 GSX build. My 99 GSX is a little more tame.

7 Bolt Built block and head. 2.0L
272 Cams
Magnus intake
DNP manifold
PTE6262 .82ar
93pump
Tein Flex Coilovers
stock sways

460hp

I wanted to at least add a Oil cooler to this car to help with oil temps
And I plan to possibly add the RRE reverse hood vent as well. The rest of my setup should be fine and I can focus on suspension setup

Ok cool. The group EMRA that I run with goes there in the summer. That's about what I make power wise. I run a 21 row oil cooler. Forgot to mention that. I have a Mishimoto sandwich plate with -10 lines running to it. It's mounted to the car between the intercooler and radiator. My oil temps at NJMP in the middle of summer didn't get above 225 or so. Car gets warm, about 215 on real hot track days. I have the light set to come on at 210. If the light comes on, I'll finish my lap and either cool it for a lap, or drive down pit lane if there's cars around me. I hope you can make it out. It's a great experience. I absolutely love it.

I appreciate all the info.

Well I don't really have the money to invest in the car for drag racing and I have never really wanted a sole purpose drag car anyways. So trying something different like a road course event, seems like the next best thing.

I think this would be a lot of fun and I could really enjoy the car for what it is in the straights and the corners. Still need to figure out what tire I want to run. The only tire I have ever really experience is the BGF Rival. I ran them on my evo for auto x days.

I appreciate all the info.

Well I don't really have the money to invest in the car for drag racing and I have never really wanted a sole purpose drag car anyways. So trying something different like a road course event, seems like the next best thing.

I think this would be a lot of fun and I could really enjoy the car for what it is in the straights and the corners. Still need to figure out what tire I want to run. The only tire I have ever really experience is the BGF Rival. I ran them on my evo for auto x days.

Hell yeah man. These cars are very capable for roadracing. I mean, I get the drag stuff, cause it's inexpensive to just shoot down to the track on a Wednesday or Friday and have fun. I just wish more people would recognize this cars potential for grip and cornering.

The tires are a toughie. Best bang for the buck is definitely the RE71R. I thought it was fantastic. Communicates very well. Doesn't make a whole lot of noise at the limit, at least not a lot with the helmet on. So finding the limit can be difficult. If you've done autoX, then you at least have an idea of what to expect. Everything is slowed down in roadracing so far as steering/throttle input is concerned.

Got very close to start up today. Didn't have two damn clamps for the turbo drain, and didn't have the time to get to the parts store. Very close to getting it running
IMG_20170405_195434836.jpg

What's your impression of the magnus reusable oil filter?
My magnet came out, the glue did not hold the magnet and ended up flosting inside the filter but not the pan, magnus do not make it but rather sell it with their laser etching on it, other then coeaning out the filter its a good unit, you have to make sure its tight as i have had it come loose before even though i had it pretty tight (or so i thought) haha

Would you say that the 2g is better-handling car than the 1g? Does the 1g have potential as well? Not sure if you would know.

The 1G is a fantastic chassis. Way easier to dial in front camber. You don't have the upper and control arms front and back like you do with the 2G, which is great for handling, but yeah....The 1G is a fantastic chassis. If I could get a 1G and racecar it out....I would.

My magnet came out, the glue did not hold the magnet and ended up flosting inside the filter but not the pan, magnus do not make it but rather sell it with their laser etching on it, other then coeaning out the filter its a good unit, you have to make sure its tight as i have had it come loose before even though i had it pretty tight (or so i thought) haha

Really? Wow. I've had mine a long time and never had a problem. I'll be extra mindful of that next time I take it apart.

Really? Wow. I've had mine a long time and never had a problem. I'll be extra mindful of that next time I take it apart.
I dont know if i am the only one or not. Just be cautious incase, the glue got hard for the heat and just broke up,

Small suggestion:

Your downpipe passes very close to the oil pan. It may be a little tight to wrap it, but perhaps you could reduce oil temps by putting reflective tape on the pan on any areas that come close to the downpipe. I just had to do this on the Evo.

Okay so I did more research last night regarding Road Course tires and reviews.

The Bridgestone RE71R stood out a lot, along with the BFG Rival. But most of my reviews, Youtube, tirerack, grassroots motorsports etc mostly came from autox people.
I wasn't able to find a good road course review that wasn't 2-3 years old.

Every review it seemed as though the RE71R beat out the Rival on one level or another. They both seem like very capable tires that can do what you ask of them. I wasn't able to compare them to a Toyo R888 or Nitto NT01. But for the most part the RE7 seems to be a killer tire as you mentioned.

Small suggestion:

Your downpipe passes very close to the oil pan. It may be a little tight to wrap it, but perhaps you could reduce oil temps by putting reflective tape on the pan on any areas that come close to the downpipe. I just had to do this on the Evo.

Yes! This I know. I've gold foiled the pan (tough to see) and I'm also going to have to "mod" the downpipe some more with BFH LOL. I want to wrap the downpipe so that's something I going to work on next time I'm over there. Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated. Always like getting ideas from people. It's Definitely too close as it sits to wrap, and without further modding it actually rubs on the tcase as well. So a little more heat and a little more beating LOL. I took these pics at the end of the day when I was getting ready to go home.

Okay so I did more research last night regarding Road Course tires and reviews.

The Bridgestone RE71R stood out a lot, along with the BFG Rival. But most of my reviews, Youtube, tirerack, grassroots motorsports etc mostly came from autox people.
I wasn't able to find a good road course review that wasn't 2-3 years old.

Every review it seemed as though the RE71R beat out the Rival on one level or another. They both seem like very capable tires that can do what you ask of them. I wasn't able to compare them to a Toyo R888 or Nitto NT01. But for the most part the RE7 seems to be a killer tire as you mentioned.

The Good thing about the 71R is that it's fairly affordable. Triple 8's and NT0's are pretty expensive depending on your size. I want to bump to a triple 8 at some point, but as it stands, the Dunlop's are on the car for now.

Small suggestion:

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_195730017.jpg
    IMG_20170405_195730017.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 196
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back