The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 Eagle Talon - "Onyx"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a87 pewter/magenta grey

Either or are so close it's hard to call. Lol.

I think just polishing the whole valve cover and painting the letters pewter grey would be awesome. give it a real nice pop of brightness. and it would flow with the silver badging.

432154_361271153945701_158750774_n.jpg

Would likely be the sexiest thing I could do.

Just read through the whole thread and the build is looking sweet! And have to agree on that being an amazing color for the car.

Are you CnC'ing a valve cover?! That will be one sexy VC!

Right? ;D

I'd like to get a lot of the engine bay covered in Billet Aluminum if possible.

Edit :

Oh my~ I located Billet Aluminum CAS Sensor covers. I believe that's being added to the list.

Last edited:
XiKeiyaZI said:
Oh my~ I located Billet Aluminum CAS Sensor covers. I believe that's being added to the list.

Yup, Paul sells them (pma1223).

Yup, Paul sells them (pma1223).

I just spied them on the ECMlink forums and contacted him. Hopefully will be picking one up this evening. If so, I have resolved my engine appearance issue. I'll need to go ahead and go with the heat shield to complete the look.

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about - Paul (pma1223) as listed above, has a limited amount of these left. They're currently for sale over at the ECMlink forums for a pretty reasonable price.

This is the "Green Top" model.

blacktopround1.jpg

And this is the "Black Top" model.

blacktopoctagon2.jpg

This car should have been running a while back. Get on the ball Keiya!

Hahah :p I'm on it! I've been waiting on good weather and banjo fittings for so long it's stupid. We've got amazing freak weather right now so I'm going to start buttoning her up today.

As for the billet cover, I'm certain I ll be going for one. I need to locate either a reasonable vendor or pay for a block of it - take my vc over to the shop - and have them cnc it for me.

Nice covers limited huh ill have to got to ecmtuning forums for more information, nice build ive been following it since day one.

As I'm waiting on the final bolt, I decided I would take a new approach on the valve cover. I bought a container of Aircraft Paint Stripper and let the valve cover sit in it for 15 minutes. Removed it, rinsed it off, and repeated once more. Here is the end result.

valvecovery.jpg

Then, I just picked a color at random, came home, and after a single coat every 10 minutes, I came up with this. This is 1500* VHT, by the way.

valvecovera.jpg

Thoughts?

So when is this talon getting sold? You have allready made it longer with this car than previous sooo..:tease:

Haha. She'll be going nowhere. :) Aside from a Laser or another nice 1G, this will be my last DSM. There was always something about the others that I just didn't enjoy. Something that didn't feel homely. This one, however, feels absolutely perfect - and she doesn't even run yet. Even if my first start sends a piston through the back of the block, I'll rip it out and do it again.

WEll im glade you feel more at home..I found my home 6 years ago.But I'm really glad..All of your stuff has been tasteful..Put tasteful+u, this 98 talon=Pure Epic Win

As I'm waiting on the final bolt, I decided I would take a new approach on the valve cover. I bought a container of Aircraft Paint Stripper and let the valve cover sit in it for 15 minutes. Removed it, rinsed it off, and repeated once more. Here is the end result.

valvecovery.jpg

Then, I just picked a color at random, came home, and after a single coat every 10 minutes, I came up with this. This is 1500* VHT, by the way.

valvecovera.jpg

Thoughts?

I like it. I still think black letters would be better though. It would go well with the black roof.

What black roof? :p The letters can still be painted.

Update 8.0

So today I got outside and tinkered around a bit. Pulled off the bumper as well as the intercooler. Why, you ask? Well because I wanted to install the Oil Cooler! So I went about it! Now since this was a bit irritating I sadly did not get any pictures, but it was pretty straight forward.

Now, another thing I did was - I've been worried for a while that there was debris in my engine from the drilling of the head. Even though it had been cleaned I was afraid that there might be large enough hunks trapped in there that would free up and end up causing a failure somewhere. So, I set off about 'straining' my engine. :)

1 : The nipple for the brake booster needs to be removed. For the 2g, at least, it uses a 14mm wrench - Also note that I am aware there is a cut vacuum line on the throttle body. This will be removed and the nipple properly sealed.

75873279.jpg

2 : Here's what it looks like out of the intake manifold.

94277229.jpg

3 : Next we need to remove the Oil Pressure Sending Unit - this also uses a 14mm wrench.

87347689.jpg

4 : Here is the "nut" that you use to unscrew the Unit. This one is a bit dirty - It'll be cleaned before being reinstalled.

33969646.jpg

5 : Then, simply screw the Brake Booster Nipple into the spot that the Oil Pressure Sending Unit was previously. You don't have to torque this down.

93178119.jpg

6 : Next you'll require a basic hand pump that you can get from any auto store, a 5 quart jug of oil, and something to catch anything that spills...unless you want to clean up a lot of oil. Note - I am using heavier, cheaper oil specifically for this process. This is not what I'll be running.

30074184.jpg

7 : Plug the hose from the hand pump over the brake booster nipple which should have already been screwed into your Oil Filter Housing. Pumping oil into your intake manifold is not recommended.

44584688.jpg

8 : As you begin to pump oil into the oil filter housing, it will circulate through the engine. About 40% through the jug you'll start hearing pressure escaping from the head until finally you see oil. In this picture you'll see the oil is black. As this is a previously used engine, this is old oil that is being pushed out of the system and into the head, carrying any debris stuck in it or the passageways with it.

61774408.jpg

9 : Now for this procedure, I bolted up my Oil Feed Line to my head and ran the other end into a clear container so I could see the amount of debris that was pushed out. It will start slow, but will soon pick up to a steady pace as you continue pumping. This should occur about 50% through the jug, typically.

53767973.jpg

10 : This is near the end of the jug. About 80%. As you can see, all of the old oil has been pressed out and moved, carrying debris along any passageways in the head with it. As I suspected - as can be assumed with any machine work - there was residual debris trapped in the head/engine that the initial cleaning missed.

34690499.jpg

11 : After a bit you'll see the oil in the head has cleared up. This is a great thing to see.

26601332.jpg

Anywho, I wanted to share this process as well as make a valid update for everyone. I'm glad that I did this as I now feel more confident that there is little to no debris resting in the gulleys in the head which may get caught up anywhere. I will strain this oil and do this about 2 more times to be absolutely sure, as well as rotate the cams/crank each time to ensure that proper coverage is allowed. I will also note that this was done with the oil cooler installed, so basically everything in the oil system is touched by this process.

This is also a great way to prime your engine if you already have the timing done and don't want to take it back off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back