The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

98 Eagle Talon - "Onyx"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll dig around for it when I get home, but I'm fairly sure I have one. Just have to find it under a ton of stuff.

That was my biggest disappointment, but I knew it wouldn't be perfect. The interior and exterior are, so leave it to rust to move in and go " NOPE! " It's repairable~ I just want to hear it start, first, so I know it's not all in vain. x.x; My last Talon had the whole swimming pool habit, also...but that was due to a poor seal. When it'd rain or I'd wash it it'd just run right into the trunk. Ended up spray-lining the trunk and leaving the port open until I could replace the seal molding.

200+ thousand miles and still running strong? Any mechanical issues at all?

Lol. I know how that goes.

I know that feeling. I went to replace the door panels when I first got it and I about blew a gasket when I found all the 142. The whole left door panel was practically glued on. The controls were junk. Luckily I saved the ones out of my first Talon. And then the whole peice for the headunit was 142ed as well. I'm saving that mess until I get to the interior. The whole interior needs to be gutted and reaphoulstered anyway because it's just decimated.

It's had a few problems, but nothing major. Just a few shorts: ignition switch and coil pack. The trans was already replaced once right before I bought it. And the seals and gaskets were done as well as the timing belt. It's always had routine maintenance since I've had it and runs Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic.

Lol. I know how that goes.

I know that feeling. I went to replace the door panels when I first got it and I about blew a gasket when I found all the 142. The whole left door panel was practically glued on. The controls were junk. Luckily I saved the ones out of my first Talon. And then the whole peice for the headunit was 142ed as well. I'm saving that mess until I get to the interior. The whole interior needs to be gutted and reaphoulstered anyway because it's just decimated.

It's had a few problems, but nothing major. Just a few shorts: ignition switch and coil pack. The trans was already replaced once right before I bought it. And the seals and gaskets were done as well as the timing belt. It's always had routine maintenance since I've had it and runs Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic.

Hey, better to find that stuff in your door panels than a brick of dried grass... or baggies of white powder as some members of come to find in their purchases. xD Needless to say, it's less than desirable. That sounds terrible, though. It's as bad as the black goop they use to hold the plastic dust guard in place over the door itself. I hate getting that crap on me. It's so hard to clean off.

Sounds like a solid car, though. Keep her running as long as possible and just buy stuff on the side. Heck, buy everything you want to beef it up with in the meantime so that when you finally do get to that point then you'll have everything right there waiting. ^^

Hey, better to find that stuff in your door panels than a brick of dried grass... or baggies of white powder as some members of come to find in their purchases. xD Needless to say, it's less than desirable. That sounds terrible, though. It's as bad as the black goop they use to hold the plastic dust guard in place over the door itself. I hate getting that crap on me. It's so hard to clean off.

Sounds like a solid car, though. Keep her running as long as possible and just buy stuff on the side. Heck, buy everything you want to beef it up with in the meantime so that when you finally do get to that point then you'll have everything right there waiting. ^^

Oh this stuff is worse. It's like cement for plastic. And it sets within seconds. So as soon as you lay it down, you better get your pieces where you want them cause there's no redoes. Lol.

That's what we plan on. I've been collecting parts since I bought it. I have a ton of performance parts from a gsx I found in a junkyard. I guess they flipped their dragster during a race cause it was destroyed.

Oh my~ I think I've found a new car-crush. :D I may actually have a spare fog light, ya' know?

I haven't really planned out anything like that. I won't be doing any body modifications save for the short antenna that I've already installed. Maybe tint those windows a bit darker but I'm certainly no fan of body kits. I'll be cutting out a rust spot on the driver strut tower as well as a spot under the lip of the rear hatch. those were the only two spots that the rust got to. Luckily I live across the street from a machine shop so it'll be easy enough.

As far as Audio - nothing special if anything at all. As long as my music sounds good I'm good. I may look into a laptop mount, though.

I may have to sell you my laptop mount cheap in the Spring when I install a full time in car computer to use instead. I'm playing around with a Raspberry at school and also looking at a few net books with HDMI outputs so I can output the readings to a monitor in the visor.

subscribed for sure. read throught the entire thing. I had a 95 camaro, 6 speed. god those cars are amazing if you ask me. Had mine last summer though. it was a hardtop though and a rare blue color. miss it to this day :\

I may have to sell you my laptop mount cheap in the Spring when I install a full time in car computer to use instead. I'm playing around with a Raspberry at school and also looking at a few net books with HDMI outputs so I can output the readings to a monitor in the visor.

Ah~ That'd be awesome. And you're somewhat local. Spring would likely be perfect timing.

Get pics up when you get on that project, though!

subscribed for sure. read throught the entire thing. I had a 95 camaro, 6 speed. god those cars are amazing if you ask me. Had mine last summer though. it was a hardtop though and a rare blue color. miss it to this day :\

It's appreciated! ^^ Seeing people who enjoy it so far motivates me to finish it! I love the 6 Speed Birds as well. There's just something so fun about them~ I didn't purchase the one listed above, but I will have another soon.

In the meantime I am going to look at an AWD Laser this weekend! I'll have both of the cars I've always wanted - A 2GB talon and an AWD laser. ^^

Ah~
In the meantime I am going to look at an AWD Laser this weekend! I'll have both of the cars I've always wanted - A 2GB talon and an AWD laser. ^^

Ooh nice. I almost bought one of those in high school. Do they have a recirculating turbo as well? I don't know too much about 1gs.

Ooh nice. I almost bought one of those in high school. Do they have a recirculating turbo as well? I don't know too much about 1gs.

Mhmm. Same technology - different years. ^^ Much better turbo, however.

Haha. Ah~ Six bolts have beefier rods, but a lower compression ratio. Make sure to do some reading before deciding for sure!

Haha. Ah~ Six bolts have beefier rods, but a lower compression ratio. Make sure to do some reading before deciding for sure!

Yeah. I've been on the fence about going manual or keeping the automatic for awhile. There's so much to consider. I've always heard that autos have higher top speeds but it also doesn't get up there as fast as a manual. And then there's crankwalk to worry about with the 7 bolt setup.

Ooh. I may have to go for the 6 bolt manual swap afterall. Lol

6 bolt swaps are a waste of money IMO. If you have 200+k on your engine, you should stick to that one. There aren't many left with the original engine in them. Mine doesn't have the original. Rebuild it if necessary, but a 6 bolt costs so much more and you really don't get anything out of them.

Kei, Lets see some pics of the progress!

6 bolt swaps are a waste of money IMO. If you have 200+k on your engine, you should stick to that one. There aren't many left with the original engine in them. Mine doesn't have the original. Rebuild it if necessary, but a 6 bolt costs so much more and you really don't get anything out of them.

Kei, Lets see some pics of the progress!

Except for stronger rods. And the whole 'crankwalk' thing. -pokes the bear- :p

In all truth, unless you have the items lying around or can pick them up VERY cheap, a 6 bolt swap isn't exactly an -upgrade- at all. ^^ I just like my six bolts, plus that's what I could get my hands on at the time.

Somebody who doesnt want to waste money on a 6 bolt to remedy a problem that happened to less than 2% of 7 bolts. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody who doesnt want to waste money on a 6 bolt to remedy a problem that happened to less than 2% of 7 bolts. ;)

Alright alright alright, Corey. xD Back to waiting on me to post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really? When you put it that way, I think I'll just stick to my original 7 bolt automatic setup. I was considering the 6 bolt swap for drag racing down the road. Manuals can get better launches. But I prefer circle track and rally anyway.

Really? When you put it that way, I think I'll just stick to my original 7 bolt automatic setup. I was considering the 6 bolt swap for drag racing down the road. Manuals can get better launches. But I prefer circle track and rally anyway.

I won't start the crankwalk debate, but in all truth Crankwalk is often misdiagnosed or is simply not to blame 98% of the time. The reason I preferred going with this 6 bolt was because I plan on stroking this block and I would rather keep my taste of the 6 bolt 2.3 setup. Also - 7 bolt head studs/bolts aren't exactly strong...Even in ARP basic form they aren't the best. That extra beef that the 6 bolt design gives is nice for me.

Lower compression pistons on bigger rods allows for more boost - granted that higher compression 2G pistons would have been a great modification to make and slap them on these rods.

In the end - Don't swap unless you absolutely want to like I did or if it's something that you can do cheaper than picking up a revised 98-99 block. :)

I won't start the crankwalk debate, but in all truth Crankwalk is often misdiagnosed or is simply not to blame 98% of the time. The reason I preferred going with this 6 bolt was because I plan on stroking this block and I would rather keep my taste of the 6 bolt 2.3 setup. Also - 7 bolt head studs/bolts aren't exactly strong...Even in ARP basic form they aren't the best. That extra beef that the 6 bolt design gives is nice for me.

Lower compression pistons on bigger rods allows for more boost - granted that higher compression 2G pistons would have been a great modification to make and slap them on these rods.

In the end - Don't swap unless you absolutely want to like I did or if it's something that you can do cheaper than picking up a revised 98-99 block. :)

Okay. I'm probably going to stick with what I have. It'll probably be awhile before I have to think about rebuilding or replacing. In the mean time I'll look into what I can do to rebuild it stronger and better when the time comes.

Anyway, how goes the build?

Anyway, how goes the build?

Waiting on a day off to work on it. That and my oil feed line. Besides that I'm just biding my time, hoping I can get to it before it actually starts getting cold.

December and it's 60+.

Waiting on a day off to work on it. That and my oil feed line. Besides that I'm just biding my time, hoping I can get to it before it actually starts getting cold.

December and it's 60+.

I know what you mean. This is my second southern winter and I'm still not used to not seeing snow. Lol. But I like the 60's. It's a lot better than 30's and rainy and just gross all the time like it was last year in NC. At least the snow made the cold worth it up in Chicagoland. I miss the snow. It's just not winter without it. But I definitely gladly trade for no salt. Lol.

I may start my own build journal soon, if my husband ever moves his atv out from behind my car so I can go take it to the lake and get some nice shots of it in all its stock glory. Lol.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back