The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 Eagle Talon - "Onyx"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A kei how's about some more pics of that beauty!? My 98 tsi awd is the Same color.. Absolutely love the color! Yours looks great. I can't wait till I move, and get my own garage again to start my build('s)..LOL (mods piled high for each car at the moment).

Aww boo! What happened?

Well, you tell people you're coming with money and they get flakey. =/

A kei how's about some more pics of that beauty!? My 98 tsi awd is the Same color.. Absolutely love the color! Yours looks great. I can't wait till I move, and get my own garage again to start my build('s)..LOL (mods piled high for each car at the moment).

Man, my time has been so drained. We're working 7 day weeks until after Christmas right now. =/ I've got a decent update coming along but there are a few things I want to get done before I post them. I may post a few teaser pictures here soon. I assure you - the build has continued though! She's so ridiculously close I can taste it.

I have to say, I always thought I'd like a Black Talon more, but this color is just absolutely perfect. What sort of mods are you looking at for your own? :)

20121209155152.jpg

Decided to play around with my Valve Cover color. I think sanded/metallic letters on black would look better.

Take note of

• The Oil feed line
• The Heat Shield that I'm using to measure my custom SS plated Shield
• The lines for the Oil Cooler chilling under the car
• My Intercooler Piping mocked up and waiting on finalization
• The Open Dump 02 Housing mated to my freshly rebuilt 16g

Ooh ahh. She is looking nice. I agree on the polished letters on the VC.

P.S. The color of your car is actually called "Pewter Blue" if you want to put the true color name in your first post. ;)

Ooh ahh. She is looking nice. I agree on the polished letters on the VC.

P.S. The color of your car is actually called "Pewter Blue" if you want to put the true color name in your first post. ;)

Ya' don't say? Well I'll just have to go add that. Thanks. :D

Engine bay is a little messy right now as I'm rearranging things. I have things mocked up so I can get an idea of where everything will go.

Oh wow. That looks awesome! :thumb:

Haha. Thanks. ^^ More awesome for me because it's so close. Once I rip everything back off and tidy up, it should look very nice indeed.

20121209155152.jpg

Decided to play around with my Valve Cover color. I think sanded/metallic letters on black would look better.

Take note of

• The Oil feed line
• The Heat Shield that I'm using to measure my custom SS plated Shield
• The lines for the Oil Cooler chilling under the car
• My Intercooler Piping mocked up and waiting on finalization
• The Open Dump 02 Housing mated to my freshly rebuilt 16g
thats nice and all, but how do you know not to touch the manifold when it hot now? :p
Looking good keiya! stock oil feed from the head is what the pro's use, SS is for tools. Polished letters on black look great, I was going to go with that on my build, but i decided to give my valve cover a crew cut. Why don't you go ahead and delete the oil cooler? It isn't really necessary. Just a thought. Looks like my car, the downgrade before the upgrade.

thats nice and all, but how do you know not to touch the manifold when it hot now? :p
Looking good keiya! stock oil feed from the head is what the pro's use, SS is for tools. Polished letters on black look great, I was going to go with that on my build, but i decided to give my valve cover a crew cut. Why don't you go ahead and delete the oil cooler? It isn't really necessary. Just a thought. Looks like my car, the downgrade before the upgrade.

Haha. :p Why not touch it? It smells like popcorn when you burn something on it!

Thanks for the comment! I'm open to any suggestions. As I said, the heatshield is going to be used only for measurement and placement purposes. I'll be installing a polished SS manifold in it's place and not this rinky-dink thing that comes with them. Otherwise I would have cut it a lot neater. As for the line, I can't locate a damn stock one and I never have luck with getting them to seal properly. Since I already have a line I may as well use it. What I'm disappointed in is STMs inability to get back to me with a price-list of the items I've asked for them. >:| Looks like I won't be using them again in the future.

I've also considered holding off on the heat shield entirely which is why it's not already done. I may be picking up an FP manifold for Christmas. :D

About the Oil Cooler - I've fought with myself over that for a long time. To delete, or not to delete. Don't you have to modify the OFH in some way to delete the oil cooler?

Awesome. You doing the rust repair next?

Yes. Once I get everything in the bay nice and clean and decide where things go, I'll be removing the hood and repairing the lip, the drive strut tower, and the rear hatch.

Nice. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I was gonna put rinoliner around the inside of my hatch to prevent more damage from the water sitting in it.

Well, you tell people you're coming with money and they get flakey. =/

Man, my time has been so drained. We're working 7 day weeks until after Christmas right now. =/ I've got a decent update coming along but there are a few things I want to get done before I post them. I may post a few teaser pictures here soon. I assure you - the build has continued though! She's so ridiculously close I can taste it.

I have to say, I always thought I'd like a Black Talon more, but this color is just absolutely perfect. What sort of mods are you looking at for your own? :)

Well I kinda already have everything LOL. Just no garage at the moment. Waiting till I move in the next month or so so I can swap everything over, and start a build thread for it. Evo3 16g, vrsf fmic, thermal tbe, 255lph and evo560cc. And wrap that up with a reflash since its a 98 black box ecu.. can't wait. My 99 gsx setup is identical with the exception of a bastard 20g, bc 272, 1000cc injectors and e85 ;)

Small update -

We were granted a single day off during this Holiday to recoop so what did I spend it doing? Crawling around the Talon. As I've promised, there are certainly pictures to be posted but I just don't have them compiled for a full update, so here's the scoop with the Talon so far.

As the Talon stood at the last crossroads, it needed the following.

•Alternator Installed
•Exhaust Installed
•Intake Installed
•Intercooler Piping Installed
•Wideband Wired
•Clutch Bled
•Brakes Bled
•Feed Line Installed
•Return Line Installed
•Oil Cooler Installed
•Engine Flushed with oil
•All fluids filled

So, after a bit of tinkering, here's where I stand. I was able to get everything taken care of short of installing the feed line and brake lines. I seem to have lost nearly every banjo-bolt it's possible to lose on this vehicle. It was pretty sad when I got around to getting everything ready for that before I slapped the tires on so the car could be sat on the ground again for the first time in months only to find I could not do it. Inspecting everything down there, though, it all seems to be in good shape and shouldn't need much attention at all for a while.

I've placed my order for the remaining nuts and bolts which I knew is what it would all come down to, so now to play more of the waiting game. I'm getting rather good at this game. I'm going to try to get the car done and fire it up during my 5 day vacation next week. :) So hopefully I'll have a running Onyx before my birthday in February!

Ooh ooh! Finally an update! XD

Awesome. Do you plan on posting a video of that first start?

Someone else that uses 'xD' besides me. I don't feel so alone in the universe around here anymore!

Yes, I do. :D

Lol. Shit I've used that since high school. Along with WTF ^_^ >.< and my personal favorite x,x LOL

I can't wait to see it. I need to get some videos myself to showcase the engine sound and stereo before I mess with the exhaust and audio to get a good before and after take for my build. Maybe when the weather gets warmer. And when we can fix that messed up wiring harness. Lol.

I was staring at the valve cover yesterday with a beer in hand after a day at work and decided that I don't like the valve cover. In fact, there's something about the engine bay as a whole that I don't like. I'm thinking a new valve cover and exhaust manifold are in order. -shrug- Also think I'm going to skip on the heat shield. The shop is really busy right now and I have no access to get in there and cut/weld any stainless so I may just forget about that idea.

Anywho~

&#8226; Ordered front brake line bolts today along with crush washers
&#8226; Finally found the fittings I needed for the feed line. Ordered as well.
&#8226; Cold weather has caused one of the tires to separate. Going to buy 4 new tires.
&#8226; Mudflaps looked a little off center to me, so I realigned and raised them a touch.
&#8226; Still compiling pictures for the big update. :)

Aw man, I have to wait even longer for pics?!

I think the problem with the bay is that there is too much black. Some polished parts like the heat shield or IC piping would probably spruce it up some. And I think the VC would look better painted to match the car. The blue couplers seem to stick out too much to me. That's just my $.02 though.

Couplers are what came with the IC piping, but I agree. I'm thinking about removing the black from the piping and going polished. Polished piping and black couplers may work.

A polished heat shield would certainly fit the bill but I just can't justify spending, what are they now, $100ish for what can be made identical for $20? =/ Who knows. I might give in.

I'm bad with colors. Hah. I won't be happy with it until it looks right. I won't even start it until it looks right. The Valve Cover.. I think black will work as long as I get the top letters sanded and polished to match the bottom.

Any specific paint colors you're thinking?

This is like helping me paint a room. Show me some codes! Hahah.

Yeah, the black doesn't look bad. But I think Pewter with black letters or even the polished lettering would look better. :)

Exactly ### I was thinking! Dupli color sells a graphite heat resistant wheel paint, that should match our "pewter blue/magenta grey) pretty nicely! That with polished letters would be the TITTS!!! Think thats what ima do with my talon xD :cool:

Edit: A87 is the pewter/magenta grey color code

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back