The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 97 short block with 95 head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaTx2ga

Probationary Member
Mar 4, 2021
San Antonio, Texas
So I got a short block out of a 97 gst after I found out my 95 had a crack in it. My question is what all do I need to swap sensor wise to make sure everything work right or is it a direct swap basically are there any differences between the 95 and 97 short blocks?

Just the split thrust thrust bearing and the year specific timing tensioner. Those are the only things I can think of that are different. The swap should go right over with all of the existing sensors from the thermostat housing.

What he said ^^ Theyre basically the same besides mentioned above.

Ok the short block is complete minus accessories was just worried about the sensors

the only sensor difference is the cam sensor but thats on the head so it won't be an issue.

the only sensor difference is the cam sensor but thats on the head so it won't be an issue.
Ok badass hopefully if all goes well I'll be on the road next week can only work on the car after work while I have light and weekends which sucks

Awesome this is my first swap so I'm being super cautious with everything taking my time and triple checking everything.

Yeah I planned on doing a complete bottom end gasket set I found a felpro set and never had problems with them before. As far as other components I have a brand new oem water pump timing belt and tensioner I also have a 90 amp alternator that I'm throwing on it. I also am swapping out the main bearing and rod bearings to save myself a headache down the road

Middle timing cover is also different.

Remember if planing to change bearings to check the bearing clearance. Do not assume anything, other then that i would replace the same things you said you are. Do not use the gasket for oil pan they always end up leaking. I have found AC delco engine sealant there own RTV seals the pan up extremely well. I may be biased as i worked for a gm dealership for 5 years but i found it is some amazing stuff.

Ok so family and work have stopped progress but this weekend is the weekend for completion got my brother in law coming to help me with taking out the old short block and putting the new one in we don't have a hoist so we're dropping it out the bottom was just wondering if I drop it out the bottom should I still take the tranny out with it or will I be ok with clearing the bell housing on the bottom? Pic of motor as she sits and I painted my valve cover in my free time

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Correction motor is currently more torn down all timing and accessories have been removed along with the water pipe

Buying or borrowing a hoist will save you the headache of trying to do it without one.

BUT if you insist...pull it all down in one take.

We're hoping to be able to buy one this weekend but if not it's gotta be done LOL I've got a low crawler that I'm thinking of placing the engine on to make It we easier to pull out

Dude what would I do without you LOL that's even my zip code so badass

Just for reference I doubt you can drop the motor out of the car from the bottom with the trans attached. How could you move the block foward enough to clear the clutch? I don't think it's possible.

Got the motor out this weekend had to disconnect the tranny and wiggle the hell out of the motor but with some time alot of effort and alot of cussing and pain got it out the bottom didn't get in touch with anyone to help me with a hoist got it out. Next step is to get the new motor to my buddies house and clean it then swap out all my old gaskets and bearings

It would be so much easier to get it back in with a hoist. I would do everything you can to do so.

Heh you just said "swap out" made it sound like you were re using gaskets :) I am sure its just internet vocab and you meant you are swapping out with NEW ones :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back