The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

96 GST Brought Back From the Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im glad you decided to get rid of the red interior pieces. i really like your thread man, just a couple of things i would of done different. But the key is it's your car and you do what you like :)

What I actually got was:
- rebuilt Evo III Big 16g ported ($480)
- Walbro 190 fuel pump ($90)
- 750cc injectors ($180 used)
- fmic kit from cxracing ($380)
- no bov (kit came with crappy ebay one. Ran out of money for good one.)
- 16g install kit for 2g from extreme psi ($200)
- oem fuel filter from extreme psi ($22)
- used chrome intake ($70) came with new cone filter and red couplers
- new red couplers ($65)
- dsmlink v3 full with ecu ($630 used)
- Megan Racing o2 housing ($60 used)
- Innovative MTX-L wideband o2 ($180)
- fuel pump rewire kit ($20)

You went over budget. :p

Oh my. That snow picture reminds me of my old Talon in the blizzard of 2011. LOL. The car was white and someone actually thought it was just a big snowdrift and ran a snowblower into it. LOL.

It's looking good. like the backseat with the subs.

I've done a lot of work on the car over the last couple weeks. The interior is now officially finished (besides a new radio) and everything on the interior is black and red now. I bought a new black carpet, finished the sub box, and bought new seats. Everything turned out great. I also started painting a few things for the new red/black theme. I found some rims off a 99 GSX on craigslist for $160 so I grabbed them up too. Now I just have to save up enough for some new tires. Here's some pics of everything I've done over the past few weeks:

New black carpet:
483651_588466787833027_1833914762_n.jpg

Tearing out the old carpet:
72877_588466867833019_1538127847_n.jpg

539048_588466881166351_461057781_n.jpg

734435_588466901166349_1333663680_n.jpg

482307_588466917833014_1576926476_n.jpg

7366_588466944499678_436197787_n.jpg

The new compared to the old. I had a lot of very careful cutting to do:
531934_588466954499677_380259718_n.jpg

Going back together:
523514_588467001166339_796386474_n.jpg

480635_588467064499666_903582065_n.jpg

Sub boxes getting carpeted too:
3660_588466967833009_1656021488_n.jpg

Finished except for velcro to hold the two strips down allowing access to the battery and amp.
734431_588467031166336_1315618779_n.jpg

New seats:
521894_588467121166327_700184438_n.jpg

549127_588467154499657_683551435_n.jpg

My 3 gauge pillar pod FINALLY finished:
525255_588467184499654_447839130_n.jpg

Painting a few parts:
539210_588466811166358_1280721342_n.jpg

Intercooler painted:
563613_588466844499688_943285065_n.jpg

1g BOV painted:
72932_588466711166368_42339005_n.jpg

Intercooler back on:
5308_588467004499672_1925747916_n.jpg

575693_588467144499658_519447530_n.jpg

'99 GSX rims with a new paint job:
537910_591196067560099_696019622_n.jpg

Last edited:
I took a snap of the car today while the weather was nice outside.

5267_591196057560100_452728598_n.jpg

Put those GSX rims on now! I like the whole front end now that you painted the intercooler black. I'm not a huge fan on bodykits, but on 2ga's like yours I like them because stock 2ga is.......

Put those GSX rims on now! I like the whole front end now that you painted the intercooler black. I'm not a huge fan on bodykits, but on 2ga's like yours I like them because stock 2ga is.......

I wish I could put them on. I just don't have enough to buy tires for them right now and finding used tires is nearly impossible for that size.
I'm not really a fan of body kits either, but it came with the car and I've only seen like 2 other cars with this front bumper. I do like uniqueness. I'm constantly contemplating between keeping this bumper and getting a 2gb and putting a hd lip on it.
And Thanks for the compliments!

Car looks great man! My goals are basically yours except you've done much more than I have. I keep slacking off LOL

Thanks man I appreciate it! You just gotta stay motivated and keep working on it. I feel like I always have something to do to the car. As soon as I chase down my boost leak(s), I'm going to have it tuned and dynoed and I hope to be around the 300 mark. I might have to throw some ARP's in too.

Last edited:
I like that bumper. It looks pretty clean and not gaudy. I would get the 2gb side skirts to go with it though. It would look more even IMO. Nice car though man!

oh wow. I love those rims!
Thanks I can't wait to put them on. Unfortunately, tires are not going to make my budget right now.

I love that bumper I've seen it a couple times before where can I buy one of those a like the oem bumper but that is a very very nice looking bumper too! Anyone?

I like this bumper too. It's almost like a mix between oem and the blitz bumper. One of the reasons is because I have only seen it a few times on other cars and I like having uniqueness. I haven't been able to find out who made this bumper or if it is still in production. So unfortunately, I don't know where you can buy one. Mine came on the car when I bought it. If I ever find out, I'll be sure to let you know.

What size tires you looking for man?

Car is going to look awesome with the wheels on.

Thanks man I can't wait to get them on. It's going to completely change the look of the car.

I like that bumper. It looks pretty clean and not gaudy. I would get the 2gb side skirts to go with it though. It would look more even IMO. Nice car though man!

Thanks man I appreciate it. I may go with the 2gb side skirts eventually, just not a priority right now.

Well I have some bad news to share about the car. I was having some issues when I went to autocross a couple weekends ago. The second day of autocross, my car died on the thruway on the way there. I had the car towed back to my house and started trying to figure out what was going on. It turns out I crankwalked my motor. I had a few signs of crankwalk, such as the clutch sticking to the floor on left turns, low oil pressure at idle, and a weird clicking/ticking sound from the engine.
Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to rebuild the motor and fix the car. I'm graduating college next week and am starting a new job, so I need a reliable car to get me to and from work every day. So I did a partial-part out of the car. I sold the turbo, FMIC, injectors, ECMLink, and a few other things to get enough money to buy another vehicle to get me from A to B. My plan is to save up enough to rebuild the engine and a few other things. My new build will be focused around autocross, as I fell in love with it.
I already have the build partially planned out. I'll post up what I have later on and ask for suggestions on what other think.

On another note, I had cleaned up the engine bay pretty good before all this happened.
2013-04-23164754_zpseb8d45b1.jpg

man that sucks about your car crankwalking. don't give up on it though it looks great and u did a very good job on turning it around since you bought it. I hope to see more on this build!

man that sucks about your car crankwalking. don't give up on it though it looks great and u did a very good job on turning it around since you bought it. I hope to see more on this build!

Yeah it sucks but I'm looking forward to the new setup. Thanks for the compliments and there will definitely be more to come.

Did you ever get the engine checked by a shop to see all the damage done and the reason why it happened?. Man that really sucks, but hey you get to build a engine now. I want to build mine so bad, but why should I when its running perfectly fine on my current set up at 22psi with 143,xxx and ticking. I hope things start falling into place for you. What are you plans for the engine so far? Any more bolt ons? Good luck on your build bro.

So I've been planning out my new build for the past couple weeks. The car will be mostly used for autocross and the occasional nice weather trip to work. Here's the list I've came up with for the build. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for me.

*Some things on the list are just for looks and cleaning up the engine bay a lot!*

Engine Internals:
• Stock bottom end
• Cams – 264/264
o Comp Cams 101100​
o FP 1 or FP 1x​
• Cam Gears
o Fidanza adjustable​
o OEM​
• Revised Lifters
o Topline revised lifters​
• Timing Belt and all components
o OEM​
• ARP head studs
• BSE kit

Handling/Suspension:
• Shocks
o Koni Yellows​
• Springs
o Eibach pro kit​
• Tires
o Street​
 '99 GSX rims​
 Tires – 225/50/17​
o Autocross – Hankook RS-3​
 255/40/17 tires​
 +35mm offset on 17x9 rim​
• RM Racing sway bars – front and rear
• Lugnuts
o Gorilla Tuner lugnuts​

Engine Bay:
• Electric Hydraulic Power Steering Pump – MR2 pump
o 2000-2005 mr2 spider​
o Black SS lines​
o PS cooler.​
• Upgraded Alternator
o Relocation kit – jay racing steel - $175​
o Saturn alternator – CS130 self exciting​
• FULL Wire Tuck
• Catch Can - -an fittings
• Valve cover –
o –an fittings​
• Shave and Paint Bay
• Coil Pack relocation
o JMF coil pack bracket - $38​
o New coil pack​
• Loop heater hose
• Aluminum Radiator
• Slim fans
• Aluminum Coolant Overflow bottle
• Motor mounts - AVID Racing Tuner Series Black Steel
• Full bushings kit
o Prothane Total Kit​
• Clear Cam Gear Cover
o Zaklee Corp - $69 (extremepsi)​

Bolt-Ons:
• Turbo
-Small 16g​
-FP BigT28 w/ 17psi actuator​
• O2 Housing
o Megan Racing​
• FMIC Kit – custom 2.5" piping
o VRSF​
o PR​
• Injectors – 850cc or larger
o New O-rings and Seats​
• Fuel Pump – Walbro 190 rewired - already have
• Full fuel line upgrade
• AFPR
• Fuel rail with –an fittings - Stock
• Intake 3" - $18 (cxracing.com)
• SD Setup
o Aem 3.5 bar map sensor - $147​
o GM IAT sensor w/ pigtail and aluminum bung - $29 – ecmtuning.com​
• Exhaust Manifold
-Stock​
-FP Racing​
• Intake manifold
-Stock - port matched to TB​
JMF Street Version SMIM​
• 1G throttle body
o Delete coolant lines​
o FIAV block off plate or block off mod​
• BOV
o 1g garage modded​
• Full 3" exhaust - already have
• Magnetic oil drain plug

Engine Management:
• ECMLink V3 Full ~ $600
• Apexi AVCR Boost Controller - have
• Innovate MTX-L Wideband ~ $180

Brakes:
• Pads Front:
o 05-06 Outlander​
 Porterfield R4S - $108 – topbrakes.com​
• Rotors Front:
o 05-06 Outlander​
 $165/set front cross drilled and slotted – brakeperformance.com​
• Calipers Front:
o 05-06 Outlander​
 $87 (Drivers Side) – partsgeek.com​
 $87 (Pass Side) – partsgeek.com​
 $81 (Drivers Side) – autozone​
 $81 (Pass Side) - autozone​
o Powdercoat red both​
• Caliper brackets Front:
o 05-06 outlander brackets​
 $126/pair – jnztuning.com​
• Pads Rear:
o Stock​
 Hawk HPS pads - $55 – extremepsi.com​
 Hawk HPS pads - $55 – jnztuning.com​
• Rotors Rear:
o Stock rotors​
 $103/set rear cross drilled and slotted – brakeperformance.com​
• Calipers Rear:
o Stock calipers​
o Powdercoated red​
• SS Lines
o FTP brake line kit - $80 – extremepsi.com​
o Goodrich SS brake line kit - $105 – extremepsi.com​
o JNZ SS brake line kit - $80 – jnztuning.com​
o Russell SS brake line kit - $90 - stm​
• 3g brake master cylinder
o LKQ - $35​
o $57 (NEW) – ebay​
• 3g brake booster
o $40 - ebay​

I also am looking at doing a 6 bolt block/2g head combo. I want to keep the looks and functionality of the 96 cam angle sensor under the intake cam if possible. So my plans for that are:

-6 Bolt block
-6 bolt arp head studs
-drill headstud holes to 12mm
-6 bolt timing components
-6 bolt water pump
-6 bolt flywheel
-oil port mod #1 and #2
-2g thermostat housing and water pipe
-1g throttle body
-6 bolt BSE kit

Now here's where I'm confused: I've been doing a lot of research on this setup and in order to use the 96 cam angle sensor under the intake cam, I need to get a oil pump/front case from a 1996 sonata??? And then I saw that if you get the oil pump, you also have to get the oil pan to fit??? Furthermore, on Magnus's writeup, I saw that you have to switch the firing order. It says for a 95-96 to switch plugs 1 and 4 with 2 and 3, and the order isn't important. Do I also have to switch the injector order then? I will definitely be running link, so can I skip any of this???

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good so far. Looks like your on to a great start. Really thinned things out and are doing it right. Oh and btw pm me because I got a few things on your list like some BFG R1 auto x radials, pte 880cc etc. and as far as the firing order I believe what it is mentioning is switching the firing order if you plan to run a 1g cas. I think. Because I switched to a 1g cas and read that same write up to figure out firing order. Basically instead of 4-1-2-3 it's 3-2-1-4. Hope this helps. Ill check out the write to cross reference.

Looking good so far. Looks like your on to a great start. Really thinned things out and are doing it right. Oh and btw pm me because I got a few things on your list like some BFG R1 auto x radials, pte 880cc etc. and as far as the firing order I believe what it is mentioning is switching the firing order if you plan to run a 1g cas. I think. Because I switched to a 1g cas and read that same write up to figure out firing order. Basically instead of 4-1-2-3 it's 3-2-1-4. Hope this helps. Ill check out the write to cross reference.

Yeah I'm getting excited to start the build again. I've pretty much nixed the idea of having a 2g head and 6 bolt block. I found a 7 bolt block for cheap that I'm going to rebuild to OEM specs.

I'm doing the 6 bolt block 2g head as we speak. I'm way over do for my build. I got 1600 pictures of stuff I have done LOL I got the car bone stock and have done everything except the engine. And now I'm doing everything again and the engine. Just too lazy right now LOL. Can't get the dam passenger axle out of the transmission.

Did you figure out the order yet? So are you going to do the 6bolt bottom 2g head or are you sticking with the 7 bolt? My 7 bolt finally went at 146,xxx and that's bone stock block except 264/272. Well I take that back, the head went. Block may still be good. All I got for proof so far is zero compression in 2-3 cylinders. And that is with 13k hard put miles, 22 psi boost daily. I just wanted the stronger crank and block. But I think and am convinced to the 7 bolt putting down reliable power. I mean check out STMs stock 7 bolt. That thing flys. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Anyhow, good luck as always and let us know what's in process.

Anthony B.

I've been slowly gathering up some parts lately. I found a 7 bolt block that I'm going to use with around 20,000 miles on it. Just waiting on a new head gasket and then I'm going to be putting the head back on the block after a good cleaning. Here's a list of parts I've acquired over the last couple weeks:

- ARP 7 bolt head studs
- JMFab coil pack relocation bracket
- Coil pack new
- Eibach Pro Kit for $50 BNIB on craigslist
- OEM Timing Belt new
- FIC 850cc injectors w/ 2k on them
- Felpro gasket set
- Stock camshafts
- Working on an AEM 3.5 bar map sensor for speed density setup

I'm going to be cleaning out my intake manifold as well and I got a good start on my wire tuck. I got the dash out and both wiring harnesses. I drilled a new hole in the firewall directly behind and below the intake manifold for the new wiring harness to come through and be hidden. I still need to remove the heater core tubes coming through the firewall and the A/C lines coming through the firewall. Once I get my wire tuck figured out, everything is coming out of the bay and the real fun begins. Full shave and tuck!

I'll post some pictures of the car as it sits a little later.

Last edited:
This has been my favorite thread to go through by a long shot. I love seeing how to turned around a car so well. Keep taking pictures. That's one thing that really engaged me. I felt like I was part of the whole process. Funny thing is that I just posted a thread to see what other people use their back seats for. I like your thinking. I just have 2 speaker boxes with some extra wire for my 6x9s because they were too deep to fit into the speaker holes. I like it though because now I can put my speakers on top of my car and hear my music while I'm doing something outside. I got the idea from a friend. The only difference is that he can go for about 8 hours playing music off of the battery alone. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back