The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: The Gold Digger AKA Rust Bucket (Resto Mod, Wire Tuck, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOW, you have some skill sir. Awesome build, subscribed!

Thanks gents.

I need to double check my list to see what else I want/need to add before I wrap up the chassis harness (I've already thought of a few things). Also thanks to a friend of mine I got my hands on an interior harness.

Contratz on your build man, looking good!
if my car had half as much rust as yours did, i'd throw it away and get a new shell, you were very brave my friend.

Updates huh?
I'm afraid we are fresh out of those.

I've got some things coming but I'll wait till I get even more stuff here before posting pictures. However I am working on a to do list for the car.

Since I'm laid off (job hunting sucks) I've got a bit of spare time to actually do some work on this thing.

First task is to finish this damn wiring harness. I've been working on making all the pin outs for the Deutsch connectors that have been added to the harness. I've also added some things back in such as the horn since I took it out and my fog lights. Plus I need to make some changes:
- Headlights will be independent of one another, this way if I blow a fuse or relay I'm not in the dark.
- Powers need to be run for accessory circuits.

I've now got the interior side of the cannon plug pinned out.
100_0527_zps5be531cc.jpg

Some of the ECU wires were shortened since they were too long and I didn't want them all doubled up in the harness (asking for a broken wire). I depinned all the wire also to untangle the mess.
100_0526_zps88eb0443.jpg

100_0525_zps0c2b2c63.jpg

On final test fit and then I can loom the bastard up and install it back into the car.

I found an AEM Twin Fire Ignition for a steal so I picked it up along with GSX-R 600 pencil coils. I know COP is pointless at my power level but it looks nicer. I'm working on fabricating a mount for the AEM box which will put it over the driver side engine mount.
100_0542_zpsb7f63da2.jpg

I picked up a Tial BOV some time ago, again for a steal. I had to buy an aluminum flange and have it welded on. I also decided for whatever sick twisted reason, I want to mirror polish my IC piping, BOV and some other thing in my engine bay. God help me for what I've gotten into.
Top polished, bottom au natural.
100_0534_zps701978fd.jpg

Bling Bling!
100_0540_zpsd7d52825.jpg

100_0541_zpsd0670c85.jpg

Flange welded to the Upper IC pipe. I think the stains left behind from the welding is why I want to polish the pipe (please help me).
100_0536_zps6dabf068.jpg

That's it for now.

The plan today was to work on the car and have the harnesses done/wrapped/installed. However ice pellets, snow and wind is making that impossible! I will go through the harnesses with my multimeter to confirm everything is right.

Snapped a few pictures of my fuse box, still needs to have the ends of the braided sleeve terminated with heat shrink but I wanted to wait till power is applied before I do that, just in case there are any issues.
100_0547_zps84615d3b.jpg

100_0548_zps388d1bc9.jpg

Changes I've made are:
- All relays moved/grouped together. I will have some new labels made for the top of the fuse box.
- 2 separate headlight fuses and relays. Regardless of the fact I have HIDs, this was a failure point. 1 fuse or relay goes and you're in the dark. This way there will be at least 1 side working.
- Fogs were added back into the mix. I've got some BMW X5 LED fogs to go on the out side 'mouth' of the 2Gb Talon bumper.
- Fans Hi/Lo were tied together to make a 2 wire set up for my aftermarket slim fans.
- Accessory relays were added to power after market accessories. They all have separate fuses and relays, when the ignition key is on, they are on.
- ACC 1 powers all my after market gauges.
- ACC 2 powers my under hood light (hot all the time, switch will be hidden in the engine bay), demon eyes on the retro and the bi-xenon stutter.
- ACC 3 will likely feed an Electric Exhaust Cutout.
- The last fuse is a 7.5A for the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering.

Hopefully the weather is good tomorrow and Tuesday so I can get some work done.

Got out to the car a couple weeks ago and finished making sure all my lengths were right on the harnesses.
I also mounted my distribution blocks, EHPS driver and relay to where all the ABS stuff used to live.
100_0549_zps91d0f307.jpg

The EHPS ECU is mounted to where the Cruise ECU used to live. The wiring for this will run under the plate that holds the distribution blocks. I need to extend the wiring a bit to do this but it will keep everything nicely hidden out of the way.
100_0553_zps1a16cca2.jpg

I made up my power wires from the pass through connectors in the wheel well to the distribution blocks. All power wires from the battery to the distribution blocks are 0/1AWG. From there the starter is 0/1AWG, EHPS has it's own wiring, Fuse box is 4AWG and the fuel pump is 6AWG.
I have 2 more fuse holders on the way from Knu Konceptz:
- 200A ANL for the alternator
- 15A Mini ANL for the AEM Twin Fire
These fuse holders will be mounted to the fire wall above the plate.

The distribution blocks are broken down like so:
Top block - 2 80A Mini ANL fuses feeding fuel pump rewire (more on that later) and EHPS system.
Bottom Block - 3 150A Mini ANL fuses feeding the OEM fuse box and starter.
100_0554_zps150a8d22.jpg

Here's the battery cables I've made up so far.
Power from battery to 200A circuit breaker then from the circuit breaker to the pass through.
100_0569_zpse92117c3.jpg

From the pass through connectors to the distribution blocks and from the distribution block to the starter.
100_0570_zpsb99fb3b5.jpg

Once I got home I started finishing off my wiring harnesses. First I tackled the ECU harness, some things had to be extended, pins crimped on for feeding or signals to/from the ECU (EHPS stuff, Oil pressure and WBO2 logging). Then I went through the harness with a multimeter to make sure everything was going to the right spot. After that was done I wrapped the harness up in F6 Braided Slevee.
100_0592_zps0b99cbfb.jpg

The fuel injector harness was also wrapped.
100_0565_zps9eaae743.jpg

Before tackling the nightmare that was the chassis harness I decided to do something easier, my COP/Twin Fire harness. I had checked all my lengths for the pencil coils when I was out to the car so now I could terminate my connectors and get the wiring ready to go. I still need to do some soldering and purchase a coil side connector from JNZ to make this plug and play but other then that it is done. By having a stock connector on the end if anything goes wrong with the COP I can quickly switch to stock.
100_0568_zps9cfe8847.jpg

Now it was time to tackle the Chassis harness. I was a bit nervous about this and still am (we'll see when I put power to it). I think there might be an issue in my headlight wiring; I've gone though it several times and had to make sure corrections but other then that it's fine. Everything checks out with a multimeter so I'm not worried there.
Making pin outs for the added connectors.
100_0594_zps77df4977.jpg

Chassis harness all wrapped up in F6 Braided Sleeve.
100_0594_zps77df4977.jpg

Just to recap exactly what has been done to my harness:
- A/C, ABS, useless sensors and connectors removed (EGR, FPS, Fuel Pump Check, Timing Check, etc)
- O2 sensors removed, ECU running narrow band simulation via WBO2
- Swapped Canadian headlight wiring for US headlight wiring (bye bye DRLs)
- Wiper connector moved inside
- Fuse box rewired to feed Accessory circuits (Gauges, LED stuff, Exhaust cut out) plus fuses for EHPS system.
- Driver and Passenger side headlights fused, relayed and switch independently of each other. This way if one side goes I'm not left in the dark.
- Acc circuits run with chassis harness with Duestch connectors at the end to make them plug and play to there respective systems.
- Modular harness thanks to Duestch connectors. Chassis, fuse box, fender well harnesses, ECU and Engine harness can be remove independently of each other.
- All added connector installed so you cannot touch bare pins and be shocked.
- Cannon plug mounted to the firewall.
- EHPS system tied into DSM wiring so it will work as if it was installed in an MR2, completely factory.

Last part of the harness to finish (apart from installing and grounding it) is my fender well harnesses. I made up a zip lock bag for each side with all the wiring, connectors, etc needed for whatever is on that side of the car. I also made one for the EHPS, apart from the high voltage lines that need to be run for that there is nothing left electrical wise for that system.
100_0621_zpsba007818.jpg

100_0622_zpsad42608b.jpg

I've got the dash ready to go back into the car now too. First thing I did was double check and finish up the dash harness for the S2000 cluster and it's electronics; I had to solder wires to the Pot which will allow me to fine tune the gas gauge. I also had to run wires for my AEM Volts gauge; this is fed off the pass through connectors in the fender well so it will always be on to let me know the voltage, there is a small 2A fuse in line. I'm not worried about this draining the battery.
I'm not sure if I will bother wrapping the dash harness in F6 or not since it cannot be seen.
100_0602_zpsbc84841b.jpg

From there I mounted my LED glove box light and wired it in to the factroy wiring. I had to hot glue it in place since the factory mount was broken. It's 6 Nichia Cool White LEDs running at 50mA. I can see things I put in my glove box 5 years ago.
100_0606_zps641ea32e.jpg

100_0613_zps221d5875.jpg

I also replaced all the weather stripping foam on the dash HVAC pieces with new closed seal foam from the hardware store. This will ensure there's no air leaks and I get heat blowing out my vents and not under my dash somewhere.
100_0613_zps221d5875.jpg

100_0600_zps98e716b1.jpg

100_0615_zps33e9a384.jpg

Dash ready to be installed back into the car. I will wait on finishing the cluster bezel for the S2000 cluster until later.
100_0589_zpsa7500848.jpg

Now for the car to be started up I need to following:
- A bunch more Deustch connectors. I want all of my gauges working when I start the car, some of them I need working like the WBO2 or the car will just stay in open loop.
- Upper IC pipe

To drive the car I need:
- New fluids through out. I have engine oil and coolant but need the rest.
- Power Steering lines
- Saturn Alternator and relocation kit
- Make sure everything has gaskets on it (TB, water pipes, O2 housing, etc)
- BOV spring
- New shifter cables, my shifter feels like crap and every single bushing in the complete assembly in the car has been replaced. I'll replace the cables, the bracket bushings the cables bolt too and the little shift arm bushing.
- Windshield washer res of some sort.
- Swap New tires and rims
- Finish COP install
- Check the car over for anything else it might need after sitting for close to 4 years.
- Fuel pump rewire
- Have new bumpers painted
- Install all body parts, headlights, tail lights, etc.
- Vacuum lines

Last edited:
I'm sure there is lots I'm forgetting but that's about all I can think of right now this moment. Next time I'm out to the car (start time) I will have to make a list and try to knock more stuff off that list.
I've still got a sort of long road ahead of me but the most painful part, that freaking wiring harness, is behind me now. As I have said, I'm laid off now so don't expect updates to start rolling in like mad. However since I've got this time off I can finish up all my interior stuff, my HID projector retro and my LED tail lights (these are not necessarily going to be on the car this year, I've got so much work to do with these).

The projectors will look awesome once I get them into the headlight housings.
100_0619_zps433e8116.jpg

However the shrouds need quite a bit of trimming to fit into our headlights.
100_0292_zps59750dad.jpg

As for my tail light project, well I've got 3 pairs of tail lights and center sections here in storage so it's not like I won't have a set to go on the car.
100_0620_zpsdba2fc96.jpg

I completely redid my chassis and engine harness and I want to use f6 split braided sleeving. The large pack of wires that goes through the firewall looks bigger than 2". I cannot find any f6 sleeving larger than 2". What was the largest size you used?

There is no f6 sleeving bigger then 2". I got f6 for my build as well and needed bigger then 2 and didnt ever find it. I have cut my numbers of wire down to half at least so all i need is a small 2" part thats it.

Small update as I was out to my parents place this weekend, it was a family weekend so I didn't do any work on the car. I did however do a few things to make it look more appealing and take away from the bucket-ness of it.

Beer and tail lights.
100_0689_zps2084215a.jpg

Some air in the tires (these things are so toast it's not even funny, good thing I have new rims/tires) and the bumpers temporarily installed (switching to 2Gb Talon).
100_0695_zpsfaa53f52.jpg

100_0697_zps903b9abe.jpg

I thought this was neat.
100_0699_zpsdc6b5bbc.jpg

I bought one of those shift knob extensions a long time ago and decided to put it in, not sure if I will keep it once I start driving the car, we'll see.
100_0694_zps795cbd31.jpg

Actual forward progress, I got all my distribution block mount and made brackets to hold the EHPS driver. This can now be bolted into the car.
100_0701_zps52fcc153.jpg

Picked up the rest of my 1/0AWG wire for my battery cables and some 6 AWG for my fuel pump (waiting on an 80A SSR). The big fuse holder is a 200A for my alternator while the smaller one is 15A for my Twin fire. This will all be mounted in the passenger foot well where the factory wiring use to pass through.
100_0702_zps3f5b0ece.jpg

Hoping to go out in a few weeks and bang even more stuff off the list.

Have a bit of time before I go back to work so I loaded up the DD to get some shit finally done on the car.
Plan is to have EVERYTHING in this picture on the car. At least getting the dash in will be a HUGE move forward.
100_0783_zps7345e0d4.jpg

I always start with some 'easy' so I can feel like I accomplished something. My upper IC pipe was the last piece of the intake puzzle. Let me just say if you have a VRSF FMIC and SMIM, you're gonna have a bad time! After wrestling with the piping for what seemed like forever, I got it all bolted in. I did find the missing t-bolt clamp so that's in place too, however I forgot the v-band for my Tial BOV at home.
100_0784_zps8db3fa5e.jpg

Found a location for my Idle Speed Control Motor. Just need to run the vacuum lines to it. I've always read about idle issues with the Q45 Throttle Body so I went out of my way to keep all the factory idle controls intact (Fast Idle Thermo Valve and Idle Speed Control Motor). The ISC is mounted into a Nissan EVAP Purge Solenoid that I further modified to accept push connect vacuum lines.
100_0785_zps3d01af21.jpg

I ran my battery cable that goes from the breaker in the wheel well to the first thru-panel connector. There's also a small jumper cable so I can use both connectors in the wheel well.
100_0791_zpsed58251f.jpg

Since my AC is long gone I had a hole in my fire wall. I have a plug for this but thought to myself 'Hey, my starter is right there on the other side of the fire wall. That would be a short cable run.' I grabbed my trusty step bit and made the hole a bit bigger to pop the thru-panel connector into.
100_0789_zps18c523b8.jpg

Started running the cable to the distribution blocks. 2 position block feeds the fuse box while the 3 position feeds the starter, re-wired fuel pump and EHPS system.
100_0787_zps72d79bb3.jpg

On the cover that goes over the distribution blocks I mounted a large 200A fuse holder, this will feed the alternator. The smaller 15A fuse holder will feed the AEM Twin Fire CDI box. The cover was also trimmed to clear the 0/1AWG cables passing behind it.
100_0786_zps0907b929.jpg

That's it for now. Today I will finish running/making battery cables and the EHPS pump power cables, then install/mount all interior chassis harness and ECU harness. Once that is done the dash can finally go back into the car, YAY!

Attachments

• 100_0783_zps7345e0d4.jpg
    100_0783_zps7345e0d4.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_0784_zps8db3fa5e.jpg
    100_0784_zps8db3fa5e.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_0785_zps3d01af21.jpg
    100_0785_zps3d01af21.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Didn't get as far as I wanted today due to rain and a couple other things slowing me down.
Started to finish up the last of the battery cables. Stripped the jacket back to stick it into the battery lug....somethings not right...
100_0792_zpsb5f3fcec.jpg

Oh great, I was sold the wrong wire and never double checked it.
100_0793_zps712d933a.jpg

An hour drive into town to get the right size wire so I can finish up the battery cables.
100_0794_zps97e21fdf.jpg

I managed to get both harnesses laid out into the car. I still need to mount/route them the way I want to.
100_0795_zps03c7b2d7.jpg

Battery cables are 90% complete. Just need to do my battery to remote terminal connections and make up some grounds. The battery mount still needs to be cleaned up and painted (along with the EHPS pump mount), I'll do that next time I am out.
100_0797_zpsc593e6fa.jpg

Finished the EHPS mount (needs paint) and bolted it up so I can do the wiring however it still needs some rubber mounts to soak up any vibration. The main power wire is ready to go on for the pump but I'm not sure where it frigged off too, HA!
100_0798_zpsfb38ac42.jpg

Last two fuse holders wired up.
100_0800_zps7623b32c.jpg

The final big step, I laid the dash into the car! There's been no dash for almost 3 years so this is big progress! Sadly it will have to come out again so I can finish routing everything but at least I won't be tripping over it at home.
100_0796_zps302722ff.jpg

Till next time!

I'm must say very impressive my friend. I've just took the time to read it from the beginning and I must say I admire your skills. This is the motivation I needed to get my street car finished today. Thanks.

On a side note, I've might of missed or forgotten, but will you be willing to share more on the diagram/schematics on the harness? If so I can PM you. I have done a lot of tucks and I love this layout and want to do it to both my street car 90 laser and drag car 95 gsT.

Once again, I love the build. Keep at it I'll be looking for more updates. God bless,

Anthony B.

Saturday morning the misses said, why aren't you working on your car?! Don't have to tell me twice!

Finished the high amperage lines going to the EHPS pump both inside and outside.
100_0802_zpsb5249757.jpg

100_0803_zps39323ab2.jpg

Tossed on my European Market folding mirrors. I love these compared to the OEM mirrors. They still need to be painted but so do a couple other body panels.
100_0816_zps053cb609.jpg

100_0817_zps22784620.jpg

Started laying out the driver side fender harness. I couldn't find my baggy of wiring for the drive side when I started the harness meaning I'd have to leave it incomplete. I think I forgot it at home.
100_0804_zps8890d313.jpg

Nice drip loop before the wiring goes into the connector. This will prevent water from entering the connector.
100_0805_zpsee398ed3.jpg

Pulled the SMIM to add another push lock vacuum line for my ISC motor. I had to use a brass plumber adapter to step the size down.
Sadly I will have to pull the damn thing one more time to put some silicone caulking where the main harness and thru panel connectors pass through the fire wall. I don't want any water leaks.
100_0806_zpsf0089500.jpg

100_0807_zps37ec7e13.jpg

Sunday morning I got a bit early and headed out again.
Here's the mock up of my battery cables, they are now finished but no pictures. Battery relocation is done. I just need to make a few grounds in the engine bay.
100_0811_zps0663ebf1.jpg

This is the solder lug and battery terminal. The lug goes in the terminal, you get the terminal with a blow torch so the lug melts. Once it's melted you shove your wire in and you have a soldered battery cable (you also splash solder on yourself and scream!).
100_0812_zps31c187ac.jpg

Then it was time to tackle the passenger side fender wiring. There is so much more wiring on this side compared to the driver side and I could actually find my bag of wiring. I had to extended a couple of wires for the headlight but everything else was long enough.
100_0813_zps60ebe899.jpg

After a bit more work, Deustch connectors crimped on for the ballasts, high beams and demon eyes, turns and markers laid out, fog and fan wiring routed, etc. I'm holding off on the connectors for the fan, fog light and horn until I mount all of those up. All the grounds are run too and will bolt into the factory ground spot in the inner fender.
100_0814_zpsd0107dce.jpg

When I opened the passenger side door I actually found my wiring baggy for the driver side fender (yay!) so I moved over to the driver side to finish that up; fan, fog light, etc.
100_0815_zps0c0a3a00.jpg

Last but not least, I installed the engine wiring harness and it is f***ing awesomely epic! You cannot see a single wire when the harness is in the car. A couple connectors can be seen where they plug in but that's it. Great Success!
100_0808_zpsb6e227b6.jpg

100_0809_zps2fc94950.jpg

100_0810_zpseb44deb5.jpg

There is still a ton of work left to be done. I need to finish routing the inside harness and secured them, install the dash and rest of the interior, rebuild my calipers, run new brake lines, new fuel lines, drain and dispose of 60L of 4 year old gas, new fuel pump, change all the fluids, build my PS lines, most likely change my wheel bearings, etc.
I have some things I plan/want to change for piece of mind. Hopefully I will wrap it all up by the end of the month or early next month but being away for work will slow me down.

Thanks man.
Hopefully another few turn arounds I will be out to do some work.

Crazy how little time you have when you are only home 1 week out of a month.

I'm still kicking even though I hardly ever post on here. I'm working on a list of what needs to be done on the car and a parts list of things I need to buy; they are both fairly long now.
I'd like to do more work on what aspects of the car I can (it's winter time so my choices are limited) but it's hard to find time between spending time with the family, the honey do list, etc when I'm barely home. I've also bought a new DD so I've been doing some things to that too (VLED bulbs, Weathertech mats, snow tires, soon a retro, etc.) I'm hoping I will have some good updates on this build by the end of the month.

Till then, here's the new DD; 2011 Ford Fiesta SES.

20141214_101817_zpsa85c3949.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back