The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: The Gold Digger AKA Rust Bucket (Resto Mod, Wire Tuck, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow down for 2 years? i cant even imagine that. Nice build, looking forward to seeing teh finished project.

Yup, 2 years. I have more important things in my life then my car and if leaving it parked means it gets to stay around then I leave it parked.

Thanks guys.

Small little update for now.
I ordered some things from STM a long while back, figured I share. Nothing crazy but all needed and some of it will help clean the bay up more.

Large Oil Cooler Kit. I might add a fan to the back side of it.
100_0231.jpg

-6 Tank to Rail kit with Black Fuel Lab Filter. Not needed but it will clean things up and my stock lines are pretty rusty too.
100_0232.jpg

Punishment Racing Recirculated O2 Housing for a Tial MVS Wastegate. I will actually be able to hear my turbo spool now.
100_0233.jpg

AEM Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Boost (50psi version). No more Prosport junk in my car, yay!
100_0234.jpg

Innovate MTX-L Wideband to replace my AEM.
100_0235.jpg

I'm off from December 21 till Jan 2 so I plan to get the rest of the harness sorted out. I can then measure everything so I can get all the right sizes of sleeving and the right lengths so I can get that ordered. I also need a distrubtion block so I can sort out the battery wiring and running everything to the fuse box, alternator and starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did get some stuff from Wire Care and will likely get the rest of my braided sleeve from there too.
I did however buy most of my heat shrink from a local electronics supplier and some of my Duestch connectors are from Ladd Inc.

Ladd have better prices on them? I was thinking of using them, but that tool is quite pricey.

I honestly can't remember. I needed some connectors not offered by Wire Care so I went through Ladd Inc since they are the main distrubutor.

Bit more work done lately.
I started by bundling the S2000 cluster electronics up and terminating them to one 12 pin DT series plug.
IMG_0343_zps8b88d1f0.jpg

The Modifry chip and Speedohealer can be removed from this harness. The 12V to 5V convertor and Autometer Tach Adapter cannot. The small harness is for a NO switch which operates the top speed recall feature in the Speedohealer.
IMG_0341_zps86103747.jpg

Another overall shot, everything is covered in Braided Sleeve with adhesive lined heat shrink terminating the ends.
IMG_0342_zps7e81aa44.jpg

I then moved on to the Fuse box. I add wiring for relays and fuses to run some of the Aux. systems (Gauges, S2000 cluster electronics, etc).
The wiring.
IMG_0331_zps9e04d6ac.jpg

6 Pin DT Series connector, it needs a plug because there are only 5 wires.
IMG_0332_zps7dab11ca.jpg

3 relays will be switch on when the ignition is on to power the Aux. systems.
IMG_0333_zpsb748cfee.jpg

I also mounted some switches in the center console. The first push button momentry switch operates the bi-xenon stutter shutter. Then there's 2 switches with covers, these will be for Water and Meth injection when I add them. Both those systems will be plug and play when added because I'm doing all the wiring now. There's the AEM Volts gauge too but that's been there for a while.
IMG_0337_zpsc46ab7b0.jpg

In the center console storage compartment I mounted 2 switches; 1 is for the top speed recall on the Speedohealer and the 2nd controls the Demon eye LEDs in my retro.
IMG_0335_zps45a55803.jpg

Also, the most important thing, I got myself a Dry Erase board to keep track of what I'm working on.
IMG_0338_zpscc172d99.jpg

I absolutely love this thread and work you're doing to your car! I'm currently in limbo waiting for it to warm back up! Keep up the great work.

I've been slowly working on this and over the past few weeks I've been kicking myself in the ass to get it finished so I can get the car started and running.

Before doing anymore work though I needed to address a couple things in the work shop.
My work bench top was made from two pieces of tongue and groove plywood, while this worked I was always loosing things in the gap plus it had seen better days.
100_0280_zps61bb7f78.jpg

I replaced it with a single piece of 1/2" thick plywood that I clear coated to seal it.
100_0281_zps6c3118d2.jpg

I put some hooks up to have some where to hang my harnesses up. I'm sick of the frigging things getting tangled up because I was throwing them into boxes.
100_0335_zps914094ea.jpg

I also invested in some peg board to organize things a bit better. I still really really need (plus want) a nice tool box but this will do for now.
100_0336_zps89893916.jpg

I tackled getting the Q45 TB ready for the car. I'm keeping all idle controls, FIAV and ISC, so thanks to Paul Volk's write up, I grabbed a Nissan EGR valve from eBay and have a remote mount ISC now.
100_0282_zpsff4de9cb.jpg

I wanted to change the factory coolant hose bungs on it to 3/8" like the DSM uses. So I pulled/drilled the old fittings out. I did the same for the vacuum ports, except these are plugged with set screws.
Old nipples out.
100_0301_zps4b57fc77.jpg

Drilled out.
100_0307_zps01d6f86a.jpg

I broke a drill bit off in the TB, I shit bricks over this but was able to get the broken pieces out.
100_0305_zps9bae40e4.jpg

New hose barbs in and the plug in the vacuum port (lock tite to seal it).
100_0350_zpsd777bddc.jpg

I also filled the unused connector on the TB with silicone. I didn't want the unused plug sitting there and I didn't want the connector off exposing the terminals to the elements.
100_0351_zps66c70ed0.jpg

In case anyone is wondering why I'm blocking vacuum ports; well for starters, cleanliness is next to godliness, I have lots of vacuum ports on the bottom of my SMIM (had extras installed) and lastly, push connect fittings! These things are freakin sweet!
100_0352_zps8b9ef5f2.jpg

Now we get on to what I've been screwing with for years now, that damned wiring harness.
I've learned a lot from this (better planning) and now the end is in sight. However lets go and see some of the mistakes I've made.

Working on the S2000 cluster swap again, the dash harness is done now minus I have to add a pot to fine tune my fuel gauge and mount up all the modules/boxes behind the cluster (nothing some Velcro can't solve.
Fixing some wiring.
100_0283_zps07a5cf0e.jpg

Powering the cluster with my bench supply to make sure I've got everything wired right.
100_0284_zpsd7e0f029.jpg

100_0285_zpsa4f8fd62.jpg

Once that was done I turned my attention towards the engine side wiring harness. Remember I mentioned mistakes, well here's where I made one. I had the pins and sockets on the wrong sides!
100_0287_zpscba87e1f.jpg

100_0286_zpsbb151e32.jpg

I went through the harness with my meter to find shared grounds, powers, etc. I could then solder them together so only 1 wires through the cannon plug instead of several.
100_0294_zpscddf8110.jpg

100_0295_zps3ee44c56.jpg

Crimping pins on and terminating the connector.
100_0326_zps75e904f7.jpg

I bought a new notebook which will contain all the pin outs for all my connectors. It's very important to document this stuff!
100_0327_zps15dc7371.jpg

The finished engine side ECU harness ready for test fitting in the car.
100_0328_zpsc8f58907.jpg

Around this point in time I found some sweet deals on F6 braided sleeve on eBay. I bought tons of it, 20-30 ft of each (1/8" to 1.5" diameters).
100_0288_zps79af61e4.jpg

Fast forward to last night, I've got some sort of stomach bug and couldn't sleep so I figured why not be productive.
My fuse box is now finished. I need to heat shrink the braided sleeve on the HDP20 bundle still.
100_0333_zps7efdc131.jpg

The separate connectors are labelled. Here's the ignition switch and Aux. Circuits connectors.
100_0341_zps60d042ad.jpg

I also got the interior side ECU harness ready for it's final test fit in the car. When that happens I'll crimp all the pins on and terminate them into there connectors.
100_0337_zpsc8f5a31a.jpg

I started on my left and right fender harnesses. These have my turn signal, horn (passenger side only), headlights, etc.
100_0338_zps0f8cb375.jpg

Got a nice chunk of the fuse box harness laid out too.
100_0339_zpsc8835fbf.jpg

This is the drivers side where it ties into the interior (kick panel) fuse box. I've grouped wires here that will pass through my fender connectors, I'll do the same on the passenger side too.
100_0340_zps1df6e8e5.jpg

Final thing I did tonight was get my air bag cover mounted. I'm using some cabinet catches and they should work nicely.
100_0347_zps1969c4a1.jpg

100_0348_zps24f825ce.jpg

Well it's 2:30 am and after being up till 4am last night, awake again at 7am and dying thanks to this stomach bug, I'm ready to pass out now. I will try to get more done tomorrow (thank god it's a holiday!)

It's been a long ass time since I've updated this and guess what?! It's still not running LOL.
Not for lack of trying though as I had planned to have it running and driving by now however life gets in the way of toys more often then not.
First major thing that slowed me down is we welcomed a beautiful baby girl into our lives on June 4th, I cannot describe the feeling! I've never been more proud and happy.
Second is I took a lay off a week after that to do my next block of school for my Electrician Apprenticeship. I've been focused on studying for my block exam so I've taken very little time to play.
Lastly is there always seems to be something that needs to be done around the house, wither it's landscaping, painting exterior trim, staining decks, etc.
I've found myself with very little spare time to get anything done with the car lately. However I have accomplished some things and I should hopefully have it fired up by September.

Each separate harness is gone through with a multimeter so I can make sure all of the wires go to there intended spot with no opens or shorts. Time consuming but worth it.
100_0372_zps81069052.jpg

Back out to the car and test fitting the ECU side of the engine harness again. Here I routed the wiper motor connector under the dash, the motor connection itself passes through a hole in the firewall, along with connections out to the fender well Deustch connector and a 4 pin DT series connector that feeds into the fuse box (Rad fan control, Engine Fusible link and Ignition power).
100_0375_zps700dd714.jpg

Over on the driver side I routed power and logging for my WBO2, logging wire for my Oil Pressure Gauge, Trouble LED for the EHPS system and the feed for the boost gauge sensor.
100_0376_zpse464d4b8.jpg

I had a bit of extra wire left on the chassis harness, oops. I say there's a good 3-4 feet chopped off.
100_0378_zps7c9afd94.jpg

I made a quick, although ghetto bracket to mount my JMF battery tray in the wheel well. It has since had some cross braces welded to it, I just need to paint the thing.
100_0377_zpsbf91593d.jpg

I also slapped my A-pillar pod in complete with gauges and leds. The lower LED is a shift light while the 2nd one (not installed) will let me know of trouble with the EHPS system.
100_0382_zpsdf23564c.jpg

Back home again, the engine harness is taped up and ready to be sleeved!
100_0383_zps59d117a5.jpg

All sleeved! I need to get some bigger clear heat shrink to finish the labels on a few connectors.
100_0384_zps9b1089e9.jpg

Engine side and ECU side harnesses. Still need to terminate some connectors on the ECU side and confirm some lengths.
100_0385_zpsff15d3a2.jpg

100_0386_zpsc145af48.jpg

100_0388_zpsec358c2a.jpg

Fuse box, chassis and fender well harnesses. I'm 90% sure everything is run to there respective spots but I need to confirm against my notes. The fender well harnesses still need to be finished, wires lengthed, grounds run and terminated, etc but that's all work to be done on the car itself. Plus the things that car needs to run are long enough.
100_0389_zps49a31a33.jpg

The car has the turbo mounted and all the hot side IC piping ran. Thanks to a buddy of mine I got all new and mint 97-98 bumpers, side stakes and a mint rust free hatch (like zero rust).
I need a water pump belt, some misc gaskets, turbo coolant hoses, BOV flange and some pieces to put together my upper IC pipe and then I can crank this bi*** over!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back