The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

'92 GSX The 'Baby Beast' - 2.3l HX40 Wire tucked Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what can you tell me about the line pressure mods (i have a 97 tsi awd auto) has ipt converter, high friction discs like what you got 5 discs, and a shift kit, now i don't know what kit they used and i've never done one so i didn't open up the valve body when i had the tranny out of the car because i didn't know what to look for, but it definatly has a shift kit in it the way it shifts, its not hard or brutal but definitely firm. is there anything for me to gain from a basically stock setup other than a tdo4h 14g turbo and front mount with further transmission modification? im guessing it'll never make more than 300-350 horse in the near future.

Too many to quote but as I try to always do, thank you to everyone who appreciates the work and giving props. At times it is really easy to think "Why bother?" but when you see people who understand and can grasp what you;re trying to accomplish it it makes it a helluva lot easier to keep nit picking.

For those who love that manifold, here are a few more comparisons between it and the stock 1G intake manifold-

DSCF1486.jpg

I color matched the Q45 with a textured paint that is also used on a few other items in the engine bay.

DSCF1508.jpg

And just like before with the thermostat housing, when I know you guys appreciate DETAILS then I'll bring you into my world and share a few tips/secrets I've learned over the past decade.

One of them has to do with getting your wire tuck to be THE cleanest possible. For the extremist such as myself that would mean making sure NOTHING is on the fire wall and the biggest eye sore can be the brake booster due to the way the reservoir sits (I don't care if you add fancy braided lines to it, its still ugly) On an all out project like the Raven, the entire setup was relocated into the interior of the car (pics will come when I rebirth that build thread) BUT if you don't want to goto that extreme and or want to retain your booster THERE IS HOPE!

I'm out of town right now and don't have access to all of my pics but here is a sneak peak of a SIMPLE mod that I have been doing for about 5-6+ years that I know a few people have caught onto lately as well.

How make beauty from this:

DSCF1182.jpg

Even after improving it once before:

DSCF1209.jpg

To this:

DSCF1509.jpg

DSCF1514.jpg

:rocks:

what can you tell me about the line pressure mods (i have a 97 tsi awd auto) has ipt converter, high friction discs like what you got 5 discs, and a shift kit, now i don't know what kit they used and i've never done one so i didn't open up the valve body when i had the tranny out of the car because i didn't know what to look for, but it definatly has a shift kit in it the way it shifts, its not hard or brutal but definitely firm. is there anything for me to gain from a basically stock setup other than a tdo4h 14g turbo and front mount with further transmission modification? im guessing it'll never make more than 300-350 horse in the near future.

I apologize for missing this post specifically since you asked a question..

One thing that you notice is that I over build.. everything LOL. This way it makes choosing the option to go bigger later a lot easier when you already have the piece to support it. This car is being built to put down some heavy HX40 numbers but at the same time is over buiilt to the point I could easily swap in an HX-52 with out having to change anything other than the turbo/manifold/DP setup. The fuel, spark, trans, motor, etc is all built to handle more than this setup can dish out. With that being said, in the DSM world, as I have said time and time again, The phrase "over building" is better stated as "delaying the inevitable" Even so you still have the freak chance of damaging things.

With your trans setup you can run 10s easily and if your diff is welded then 9s and 8s are possible as well. You'll be more than fine and I wouldn't worry about tampering with the line pressure unless you plan on going for some 14b records in which case I can point you in the right direction as to where and how to wire it up. I haven't gotten to that point in the build thread but if you pay attention and keep following I'll be going into even more detail of the wiring here shortly and eventually to the transmission and setting up either a TCU, computer controlled vehicle or one that is manually ratched like my Raven build using the Ratcheting setup that Kiggly had as well as myself which has now become pretty common among those choosing to manually shift their autos at the track. :thumb:

DSC_0163.jpg

There's a ratching shifter somewhere in my interior in that pic. :sneaky: ROFL

Looks good man, its still coming along, my project has changed, too much going on, love the nos.

Thanks a lot, I'm lovin the red seats by the way, Recaros? I did a similar style with my NSX. Satin white Gloss black top with red SATUS seats. I loved the extreme contrast and with the Zadari interior (red and black suede) it was sick.

I like the black roll cage, i need to paint mine on the gsx my buddy and i are doing, gotta wait til i get
to georgia, starting my collection of cars.

I like the black roll cage, i need to paint mine on the gsx my buddy and i are doing, gotta wait til i get
to georgia, starting my collection of cars.

Yeah that car is really stealth, from the out side you can't tell there is a cage.. Hell from the inside it's hard to tell there's a cage. The extra effortThe guys over at The RaceCar Shop put into this thing to hide it and extend it to give a big guy like myself (6'3" 270) ample room is amazing. If a cage goes into the white car (I doubt it but I might if I keep it) It will be purple. LOL I sh*t you not. ROFL

:cool: :p

Sorry for the late write up. I've been super busy setting um my vivariums now that I will be breeding Bearded Dragons as well. I'm running on no sleep and away from home without access to the pics I want but I can pretty much still discuss what I wanted to talk about using some pics I posted prior if need be.

Anywho, here it is:

DSCF1485.jpg

What you are looking at is the master cylinder for a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse. (I believe 2000-200?) 4 cylinders all use the same ones but I am not 100% positive. Anyways, this piece fits our boosters for those of you who want to keep it and will eliminate the UGLY offset reservoir we have. (If someone can post a pic of a firewall that looks good with that thing on it, I'd love to see it?) Most of the time you'll spend around $30 or less to get it and it is a great piece. Finally the last touch for me to ensure that very little remained on my fire wall. After converting to Auto it was even easier.

So from those pics before, you could tell there was paint as well (this build thread is a bit back dated) but no previous mention of it.. Well Once I finished it looked great but because I was fishing under a time crunch it wasn't as good as it could have been to me and the funny thing is that most of the stuff I changed 99% of people didn't really notice before so I guess it was just me over doing it a bit again...

Here it was after the first go around-

DSCF1531.jpg

And in case I forgot to mention, in that pic the wiring harness IS installed and the car is roughly 90% plugged in and ready to go. (I'll be getting more in depth of the wiring later on after I switched harnesses for the second time from 5spd to auto then back to 5spd.) At this point I should have just stopped but I'm a glutton for punshiment and after the opportunity came by again for me to have the time to do it I tore it ALL apart again and went back to town. WTF (Pic above was taken the same night I started pulling the transmission to go at it for round 3 :toobad:)

Looking good man, im doing a build on the gsx, its coming along, picked up a holset, and waiting on parts, looking to see it done.

Hey man, that bay looks amazing. I'm curious if you have any inclination to build harnesses as a freelancer.
In reality, I'm sure I could tackle it, I would just fee like I was in over my head...
(But, I feel like that all the time.. I make shit work though I guess.)

I've thought about it. I think the biggest issues with DSMs is that there are a thousand and one ways to do everything unlike Hondas and VWs that are all cookie cutter. It'd be a matter of establishing where the harness will come from and then doing it at a price that makes it worth it but not braeak the bank.

I think there is a professional company building them soon but then again the price per harness is upto about $1500 ish..

Really like how your engine bay is looking man, great work!

Yea, I actually sent them an e-mail on monday and haven't heard back..

Yeah they are still building them.. Don't look like they'll be done for a while.

Really like how your engine bay is looking man, great work!

Thanks a bunch!

Well round 2 on the glassing... This time I went i a little farther, getting rid of any dimples or other simply markings that were factory to begin with..

DSCF1752.jpg

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1750.jpg

So from-

DSCF1541.jpg

Back to-

DSCF1753.jpg

:rolleyes:I'm a glutton for punishment. :tease:

There are a few other nice touches added however and I'll post those up next.

Looks nice but why are you putting so much work into this car when you have the black shell? Why not just build that one or just get rid of it

Looks nice but why are you putting so much work into this car when you have the black shell? Why not just build that one or just get rid of it

I like building cars, can't help it. That's more enjoyable to me than any other aspect. I have a '56 F100 with a Lightning swap I am doing and a 64 C-10 I am going to do an LQ9 swap in. (found one actually that will be perfect)

I just can't half ass it if I am going to be seen in it. Its kind of like I set a bar for myself so each car need to meet or beat that in order for me to be satisfied with it. I actually might be moving to Texas soon (this summer) so the Black shell will possibly be up FS in the near future since I highly doubt I'll want to pay to have more than 5 vehicles shipped down there and I definitely wont want to pay for storage.

Both this car and the black one are street cars but this one more so. It still will have wipers, no cage, stereo system and a few other items that will make this one a bit more DD friendly. Originally it even still had heat and all but not so much now. Another thing to note is the black car already has a custom forward facing manifold being built for it. A high compression aluminum rod motor, built trans, etc etc for it. The only thing keeping me from finishing it and driving it is the fact I have this white one too and no point worrying about 2 single digit builds. One is headache enough.. LOL

Its an addiction LOL. I got my eye on a Colt next as far as 4G63s go or slapping one into a 280z.OMG

MORE UPGRADES!

Ok so a few more things changed and I might as well put the ones I can remember in an "upgrade" thread LOL.

Intercooler-

The original intercooler the car had when it was running the 3065 was a Punishment Racing street unit-

DSCF1301.jpg

That intercooler was good for about 600hp which was about where I figure I was with that setup, 8" tall 3.5" thick 2.5" piping etc etc.. Now I am looking to go for 600whp on the auto which is equal to about 700 on the 5spd and Over 800 on anything other than awd SO I figured the safe spot was a 800-1000hp rang intercooler and I found one by switching to a Kinetic Racing mammothunit with 3" in and out.

DSCF1442.jpg

I got rid of the 5spd pedals (something I never got around to doing in the black car) and I can assure you that it makes a HUGE difference..

DSCF1404.jpg

DSCF1405.jpg

My modified manifold was awesome but my custom V band DP was built to be used with a Full Race Ramhorn manifold. I am sure I could have made it all work but once I got a chance to get my hands on one it was a no brainer:

DSCF1954.jpg

DSCF1955.jpg

Another upgrade is the use of a chromoly roll stop that I had custom made for autos by a member Vassil. Hands down the best roll stop on the market.

IMG_20110228_174431.jpg

IMG_20110228_174538.jpg

IMG_20110228_174607.jpg

IMG_20110228_174628.jpg

IMG_20110228_174914.jpg

Little bit of paint:

DSCF1335.jpg

Out with the old:

DSCF1476.jpg

In with the new:

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1481.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back