The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 6 bolt with 2g head/intake into a 95 gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gijoe985

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Grandview, Washington
Hey there,

We're working on our high school class project gsx. We inherited a basket case, so we weren't able to make a lot of observations before it was all apart. I've been reading lots of threads, but we still have a few questions. Summer is almost here so we're trying to just get our bearings before we postpone the project until the fall. Or maybe come in over the summer... (FYI, we're doing the 2g head mostly because we only had a long block, no intake/etc.)

We've noticed that the 6 bolt block and 2g tranny don't line up perfectly. I assume we'll need a plate to block of the exposed flywheel. My guess, which I will go google, is that those plates were on 1gs only and we just didn't have one with our short block.

Crank sensor- we have dsmlink, never used it before, but it sounds like that will fix any problems with not having the CKPS.

With a 2g head on it, are there any other special considerations we need to account for? Do we need the 1g CAS or we can just use the 2g one, right? We're read lots of articles on 6 bolt swaps, but they all are written for 1g heads too. So any advice is appreciated.

The 2G transmission utilizes one more bolt fastening it to the 2G block than what the 1G cars did. This is well documented: 2G Transmission / tranny bolt size, length, pitch, location, part number and pictures.

As far as "plates" go, there is the starter plate -- which, IIRC, I believe should match the transmission -- and the inspection cover at the bottom. You absolutely need the starter plate; the inspection cover, not so much, but it is nice to have. The inspection cover part numbers are 6- and 7-bolt specific. All of these plates can be found at STM 1990-1999 DSM Drivetrain and Transmission or, I'm sure, many other OEM parts dealers.

Using a 2G head does nothing special for you. The issue with a 1G block in a 2G car is the fact that the 1G uses a 2-in-1 CAS that provides both the cam and crank angle signals to the ECU. In a 2G car, these signals were gathered from two separate sensors, one on the cam shaft (referred to as the CAS) and one on the crank (CPS). The 1G block does not have provisions for the crank sensor. Though a 1G 7-bolt engine can be made to accept the OEM 2G crank sensor, the 6-bolt engine is S.O.L. as far as OEM components go for a bolt-on solution. Most of the 1G-in-a-2G write-ups use the 1G CAS to provide both signals. As I'm sure you've read, the problem with that is the 1G signals are not precisely what the 2G ECU wants to see, often resulting in the notorious random misfire code. ECMLink can look past this problem, it does not "fix" it. Having said that, it is an acceptable solution.

There are ways to adapt a crank sensor to a 6-bolt, but at the very least, you must eliminate the balance shafts.

Also 2g head headstud holes will need to be enlarged. If you wanted to kiggley does offer a 6bolt crank trigger, but usually thats for higher hp cars, and most grt away without it

2g head has higher flow velocity, 1g head has larger flow volume. 2g head is more "efficient" but honestly all dsm heads flow like crap compared to other platforms LOL

School project just get a 2g 7bolt block and 2g Mani, refresh the block and call it a day. Everything is bolt on no issues.

Or just get a 1g head and intake and use the block you have. Try to keep it simple. Follow the threads where folks have put 1g long blocks in 95 2gs. That's what I have.

I'm using the 1g CA's setup with the link. There are still little things involved like the front cover needs to be cut because of the motor mount,the cas harness needs to be rewired, research ,enjoy you guys can make it happen.

Last edited:
Good for you that you are teaching young people this platform!!!! If they learn this, then they should be able to work on just about anything!

We have a 49 ford custom, 3000gt vr4, 96 gsx, 74 nova, 69 el camino... 85 Merkur xrti. Some cool cars for sure. 89 prelude si... (gotta keep the honda crowd happy).

Wth I wish we had projects like that in high school. All we did was fix our teachers junk he always had laying around or do maintenance on other teachers cars so he could pocket the cash:mad:

You should swap in a 4g63 in that Merkur:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back