The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 95 GSX 5 speed Into 98 GSX Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejoe13

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Kittanning, Pennsylvania
Hi All,
I am in the process of buying a 98 auto gsx. I have a 95 5 speed and hasnt run in two years because of the dreaded strut tower rust and subframe rot. I wanted to know what all was involved with it, basically a list that way if I attempt it I can follow a check list for putting the engine and tranny from the 95 into the 98 auto. If anyone would be interested in doing the work or assisting I live in Kittanning Pa.
Thanks,
Joe

It sounds like you're doing an auto to manual swap so remove the following from the automatic car:

Eng and trans
Trans mounts
TCU
Front axles
Transfer case
Rear diff
Engine harness
Brake pedal
Shifter assembly and the associated cables

Remove from the manual car and install in the auto car:

Eng and trans
Trans mounts
Front axles
Transfer case
Rear diff
Engine harness
Brake and clutch pedals
Clutch master and slave cylinders
Clutch line

You will have to cut a hole in the auto car's firewall for the clutch master cylinder. I did this by making a template with tape from the manual car, and transferred it to the auto car.

Last edited:
+1 on above. I swapped my civic from auto to manual many moons ago. Not sure on dsms, but I’m sure you’ll have to jump the neutral safety switch or wire it to the clutch switch depending on your preference. It’s not difficult. In your case, you’ll just need a lot of room.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back