The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 95 420a into a 98 420a Body

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughes_22

Probationary Member
Jul 4, 2018
Milton, Florida
Hey all. I have tried searching all over this site, also through Google, and cannot seem to find the answer to the question I have, but have found many for the opposite direction. It may just be poor keywording, but I cannot seem to find the same situation I'm in.

Long story short, I own a 98 GS/RS stock 420a, with manual trans, that the timing belt broke on while driving home one night. Due to timing restraints and funds, I have chosen to search for a donor car with a good engine to swap out for the time being just to get it back on the road. Since I believe the transmission is also going out in my car, the donor car I have found happens to have a good transmission in it already as well. The donor car is a 95 GS. My question, can I remove the engine and trans from the 95, and drop it into the 98 body as nearly a "plug and play"? My wiring harness and ECU in the 98 work just fine, and is all there, never been messed with. Will this work with the 95 engine also?

I have found many threads about the 4g63 swaps, and even swaps going the opposite way (97-99 engine into 95 body).

Thanks for any input and replies!

Yes, but I believe you'll have some sensors to transfer from the 98 motor/trans to the 95 motor for it to work. If you just take the long block, swap all the 98 sensors and whatnot onto it, should be essentially a direct swap.

Okay, I'm hoping that's the case. I had just bought all new sensors thinking that was the reason for it running lean and rough idling. Little did I know the belt was on its way out.

Now, more for confirmation than anything, should I just install a new timing belt, pulleys, and water pump on the donor motor while I have it out?

Okay, I'm hoping that's the case. I had just bought all new sensors thinking that was the reason for it running lean and rough idling. Little did I know the belt was on its way out.

Now, more for confirmation than anything, should I just install a new timing belt, pulleys, and water pump on the donor motor while I have it out?

Yes. 100%

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back