The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 4G63T into a 1999 Eclipse GS 420A

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twhy

Probationary Member
Aug 4, 2021
St Louis, Missouri
I have a 99 Eclipse GS. 150k on it. Its all stock and runs ok but smokes on start up. I know its probably valve guide seals but I came across a 1997 GST Spyder. I joined this forum because I'm hoping some one has swapped one of these in before.

I pulled everything (wiring harness and computer) and took pictures as everything came apart. With the engines on opposite sides, I cut out (by the spot welds) the engine and transmission mounting brackets and anything that looked different from the 99.

My main question now is. Will the mounts go in the same locations easily after I cut the ones out in the 99? I have been an auto mechanic for 30 years and have built 10 different GM hot rods, but this is my first 4 cylinder hot rod.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I Pulled everything from a 97 GST Spyder. I'm rebuilding everything, O-ring and porting the head. New rods and forged pistons

Nice. I like a good 7bolt myself. You will need to fabricate motor and transmission mounts as no one makes them. They go in kinda close as far as the 420a original location(s). The drivers side moves to in front of the suspension. The rear moves a bit to the passenger side. The passenger side moves onto the suspension pillar.

Let me know if pictures would help.

This is not a swap that’s encouraged here, but it seems that you’re in pretty deep since you cut the mounting points off. People have successfully swapped newer 4g63s (think- evo 4+) into 420a cars because the engine is oriented the same way. Just curious, Why not fix the spyder?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back