The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

500-600hp clutch suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightspeed87-

First off, if you had read through the posts I think that you would have answered your own question. Ceedawg was actually right in his post -- there is a "Search" button for this reason.

Personally, in your state of modification, I think that this clutch is a little overkill for your application. You might want to look at a ACT2600 with a good street disk (http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Mitsubishi/Eclipse-Talon_95-99/South_Bend/Clutch/Clutch_Disks), and your Fidanza flywheel. It will last a long time, and you will probably be happier with it.

The quartermaster twin is a fantastic clutch, but it isn't for everyone -- it is a touchy clutch that takes a little getting-used-to.

If you were currently around 550-600whp, making at least 500torque, then I would reccomend this clutch.

This thread has been a REALLY good tech refference and answered some really good questions.

LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

not to thread jack or ask something thats been answered several times before, but while the threads still fresh i was just going to ask anyways.
Well im about to be buying a new clutch for my car soon I have a fwd
and I plan on between 350-400 wheel horsepower, no more no less.
I thought about the act 2100, an 2600 and I see a lot of good things about the twin disc. Ive also used the centerforce dual friction before and it was a comfortable clutch but didnt like it but I also think I broke it in wrong because it wasnt acting right.
To include, I also have a fidanza 9lbs lightweight flywheel and I want a clutch thats good on the flywheel, is streetable, will last the whole day at the track with slicks, and wont slip... Also to note, Im not trying to/ or can spend a ton of money right now but any suggestions.

Ask yourself if you want to be changing discs once a year or not. Then call Steve at PTT and tell him your projected HP numbers and what you plan to do with the car. You will want to look into a PTT clutch with the organic discs. It will outlast the act and put less stress on the trans. But then again you said you can't spend "a ton" of money and getting a twin disc setup will cost you almost 3 times an act 2100 setup, then again it will probably last 3 times longer. Guys making 700hp are seeing twin disc setups last an entire season, when before they were changing discs 2, 3 or even 4 times a season. You also mentioned weight, the total weight of the twin disc setup is roughly 16lbs, even with your light weight fidanza flywheel, the whole setup with an act will weigh about 26lbs or more. Less rotational mass equals a faster rev, which will be important for an auto crosser. Spend a little more now, or spend more later replacing discs.

Guys making 700hp are seeing twin disc setups last an entire season,

the total weight of the twin disc setup is roughly 16lbs, even with your light weight fidanza flywheel, the whole setup with an act will weigh about 26lbs or more. Less rotational mass equals a faster rev, which will be important for an auto crosser. Spend a little more now, or spend more later replacing discs.

828 whp... But who is counting.:p

I just aslo wanted to mention, that the weight savings are nice but the MOI Moment of inertia is the real benifit as far as rotating mass goes. I have a post explaining an example of this. POST 37

Also keep in mind that with the clutch/flywheel assembly: The engine has to accelerate the crank, rods, pistons, cams, pulleys, ect.. and clutch assembly 4 times in a 1/4mi. And SEVERAl times in a road coarse. The benifit of loosing weight on one of these items will be a greater help then on a driveshaft, wheels, axles, ect.

Great addition!:thumb:

Jake

A friend of mine told me and I read that twin disk clutches have been known to cause Crank Walk on 4 cyl cars due to the tq capacity of the setup. Has anyone experienced this with this clutch because I have not heard of any reports?

I see it hard to cause crankwalk, seeing the pp force is much less than lets say a 2600 lb ACT clutch. Its less because its now got two disc to do the grabbing.

i'm getting the QM twin disc without the TOB... can anyone give me information on the TOB to be used and if possible the part no.

Evo guys are getting 15K out of the devo clutch....

You guys really have to take in the account that ACTs and other normal clutchsa re going to kill springs, and rip them selfs apart causing your more trouble, and not last as long as they should udner abuse

The link to Devo seems dead, did they go out of buisness while I was out of the dsm loop this spring?

I have been building a 6bolt monster for my 2g and I need something to hold 500-550 hp and will last longer then the act 2600 I burned up on the old engine.

I plan on buying a twin disk for the new set up but I bought the Spec stage 3+ for now. It's rated to hold 500 ftlbs of torque, uses a copper disk and it feels like a stock clutch. Takes a little driving to get use too, cause the clutch is very sensitive. I think for the price it's a great clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back