The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

500-600hp clutch suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's a much louder and "noisier" clutch then the PTT twin disk clutch. I had clutch chatter with my PTT twin disk but it was no where near as loud or as bad as that car. Plus the PTT twin disk is cheaper and a better unit IMO. Plus the guy who pretty much built QM to what it is today owns PTT and Adam purchases parts for his clutch and his flywheels from PTT.

i has been emailing Devo(QM) for the clutch but nobody respond.. maybe they don't want to commit with international order. Is there anybody can help me or any other shop that offer this particular clutch?

This isn't out of the ordinary from what I have heard. Try contacting Steve at PTT. Much better customer service and a better part. www.powertraintech.com

Honestly, who gives a crap how loud it is, or how it sounds, just as long as it does the job. As stated about a million times before, this clutch is not for the faint of heart. If you can't handle the sound, then go with a carbon carbon clutch that cost a HELL of alot more money, or just stick with changing ACT clutch disc every 20-25 passes with 600+whp. This clutch will handle 10 times more abuse then a ACT clutch ever would, down fall, the noise, boo hoo. It's not the end of the world for christ sakes LOL.

Going from a singal disc clutch to this twin disc, I will NEVER use a high pressure plate singal disc clutch ever again!!

Good and bad things about the clutch

**the good**
holds anything you throw at it
can be sliped for days! without hurting it
can preload the holly hell out of it on the line to tighten up the drivetrain=less breakage
Pedal pressure is next to nothing
shifting becomes 5 times faster with the twin disc
less pressure plate pressure=happy main bearings
Makes a DSM tranny shift like you would not beleive (it's like throwing a shep trans in without doing so)
You will get ALOT more passes on it before you have to rebuild the clutch
Can rebuild the clutch for an extremely well price vs buying a whole new clutch

**The bad**
The noise
pretty graby when new but loosens up a TON after a few launches
Some chatter that you get used to

This is isn't rocket science, witch would you guys rather have? A clutch that performs and holds to every bit of abuse you throw at it? Or are you going to goto a more unreliable clutch that won't hold for nothing and won't last very long with a car over 600whp just cause of the noise of the twin disc?? I just don't see the logic here I geuss.:rolleyes:

Hey Evil Eagle are you still sticking with this clutch now that you have changed set ups?

Hey Evil Eagle are you still sticking with this clutch now that you have changed set ups?

Yes I am, with the great luck I had with it this past season and keeping drivetrain parts together like I did, I will be sticking with this clutch. New disc and floater plates are only around $300-$350. Most people don't even bother changing the floater plates rather just change the disc, after a damn near full season on this clutch, daily driven and all, I changed the disc for the hell of it to freshin things up for this upcoming season, the old disc came out looking GREAT!! they still had about 40% life left to them, this was with over 35 hard passes at the track, daily driving, 3 back to back 9 sec passes and multiple low 10 sec passes on Hoosier QTP's. And a TON of back road tuning passes with the 100shot nitrous, never sliped on me once!!

I think I can get a full entire season in before I have to change the disc's. Thats ruffly around 55-60 passes at the track for a full race season for me. We will see how well it does this season with the gt4202 turbo and 100shot.

can preload the holly hell out of it on the line to tighten up the drivetrain=less breakage

:D :thumb: Warning! This product allows for wicked sounding 2Step's with amazing 60' s. May bring you closer to the point of passing out due to unreal launches. May cause you to go 1/2 a second faster. Less breakage may allow you to run your car for more than one pass. If you fear any of these side effects, buy some other kinda clutch. :p

This is one of my favorite parts of this clutch. You would have to feel it to fully understand, but it is nice.

Yes I am, with the great luck I had with it this past season and keeping drivetrain parts together like I did, I will be sticking with this clutch. New disc and floater plates are only around $300-$350. Most people don't even bother changing the floater plates rather just change the disc, after a damn near full season on this clutch, daily driven and all, I changed the disc for the hell of it to freshin things up for this upcoming season, the old disc came out looking GREAT!! they still had about 40% life left to them, this was with over 35 hard passes at the track, daily driving, 3 back to back 9 sec passes and multiple low 10 sec passes on Hoosier QTP's. And a TON of back road tuning passes with the 100shot nitrous, never sliped on me once!!

I think I can get a full entire season in before I have to change the disc's. Thats ruffly around 55-60 passes at the track for a full race season for me. We will see how well it does this season with the gt4202 turbo and 100shot.

Sweet. I pretty much had made up my mind on getting this clutch but this thread just helped make my coice that much easier.

I hear what you guys are saying and it's impressive. The noise is annoying but is it tru this thing is totally streetable? I hear conflicting info about it from time to time! And I'm still wondering how other than price,does this setup compare to the exedy setup.

I'm only leaning towards the 1/4 master vs the Exedy based on price but only if it's definitely streetable not needing to be swapped out within 10k miles. Again can one compare this clutch to the exedy clutch?

I hear what you guys are saying and it's impressive. The noise is annoying but is it tru this thing is totally streetable? I hear conflicting info about it from time to time! And I'm still wondering how other than price,does this setup compare to the exedy setup.

I'm only leaning towards the 1/4 master vs the Exedy based on price but only if it's definitely streetable not needing to be swapped out within 10k miles. Again can one compare this clutch to the exedy clutch?

I can't compare the exedy clutch with the Quartermaster cause I have never owned the exedy clutch, I can however say that if you know how to drive well then yes, the Quarter master clutch is streetable. One person's idea of streetable to the next is like comparing apples and oranges. I think it's streetable, it's not much worse then say a 6 puck ACT clutch. It's somthing you will have learn how to use over a standard clutch. But after about a week of driving with it, it gets pretty easy and you don't even notice it anymore.

I can't compare the exedy clutch with the Quartermaster cause I have never owned the exedy clutch, I can however say that if you know how to drive well then yes, the Quarter master clutch is streetable. One person's idea of streetable to the next is like comparing apples and oranges. I think it's streetable, it's not much worse then say a 6 puck ACT clutch. It's somthing you will have learn how to use over a standard clutch. But after about a week of driving with it, it gets pretty easy and you don't even notice it anymore.
Well I've had my ACT 2600 clutch in my car for about 25k+ miles. I have not done much if any 1/4 mile racing in my car. Mostly topend hwy runs. But it's time for a new clutch because since I've dropped a 6 bolt in and I'm putting out 412awhp@ 21psi 341ftlbs WTQ, this thing slips like hell now in 4th and 5th gear.

With my new block I'm about to install(ross pistons ,crower rods,built by FFwd connection) and Hx40/35 hybrid, I want a clutch that I can abuse at the track and drive on the street. If you can put over 10k on this clutch(QM) then I could possibly live with the chatter issue. Once I find out some info about the Exedy clutch this will help determine my decision.
Main two things for me are are streetability and noise! I will also admit that the price of the QM is appealing. Keep us updated Evil Eagle.:thumb:

PS This post is what made me leary in the first place:
I can tell you personally that a twin disc will not be the last clutch you ever by. If you drive it on the street you will destroy it because you want to slip it to leave a light smooth but does NOT slip at all.

I say this from personal experience after just pulling mine from the car because while driving home it started banging and I pulled it out that night to find it all burned and beat to hell with clutch dust all over everything. This is not from racing on it because it held that fine but when you leave a light and try to slip it you will smell it burn.

About it being light I have 272s and I set my idle up to 1000 just because it was so light that when you let it out of gear the rpms would fall so quick it wouldnt idle so I would have to slow down in gear till almost stalling out. Mite have been something else but well see when the new clutch goes in. Im going to a 2900 setup.

If you want a daily driver do NOT go with this. It will die from street driving and piss you off even more having spent 1500 to learn this. When or if you ever make 600+ ACT will still have something for you. Evil Eagle still using a 2900 I believe and if you need more then that you can get a 3200 from act and run a 6 puck. If your looking for 600 hp pedal pressure should not be a concern. You have to give a little. The twin disc is no light weight on pressure either. You can go with a 2600 for now and when the time comes just get a stronger pressure plate. Just save your money the twin disc is not what you want for street driving. Hope this helped
Funny thing is you r using the 1/4 master clutch.
Comments?

Well I've had my ACT 2600 clutch in my car for about 25k+ miles. I have not done much if any 1/4 mile racing in my car. Mostly topend hwy runs. But it's time for a new clutch because since I've dropped a 6 bolt in and I'm putting out 412awhp@ 21psi 341ftlbs WTQ, this thing slips like hell now in 4th and 5th gear.

With my new block I'm about to install(ross pistons ,crower rods,built by FFwd connection) and Hx40/35 hybrid, I want a clutch that I can abuse at the track and drive on the street. If you can put over 10k on this clutch(QM) then I could possibly live with the chatter issue. Once I find out some info about the Exedy clutch this will help determine my decision.
Main two things for me are are streetability and noise! I will also admit that the price of the QM is appealing. Keep us updated Evil Eagle.:thumb:

PS This post is what made me leary in the first place: Funny thing is you r using the 1/4 master clutch.
Comments?

The ACT clutch died on me on the very 1st pass with the hoosier QTP slicks, I got the twin disc right away after that. Street tires it did "ok" But would slip now and then, I would go through 2 disc per season with the ACT 2900, and it was a pain to shift with..

The ACT clutch died on me on the very 1st pass with the hoosier QTP slicks, I got the twin disc right away after that. Street tires it did "ok" But would slip now and then, I would go through 2 disc per season with the ACT 2900, and it was a pain to shift with..
How many miles on the twin disk so far and is the car a DD? And finally what company did you buy the clutch from?

How many miles on the twin disk so far and is the car a DD? And finally what company did you buy the clutch from?

Im not trying to be rude at all but he says many times in the thread. Yes Evil~Eagle is daily driven, and it is a Devotuning order Quarter Master clutch. He can fill you in on the secifics of the mileage.

Keep in mind though: If you need a clutch like this... The chance is that you have a car that could burn up a set of discs in a few bad passes IF YOUR NOT CAREFULL! I personally know this one. I have under 3,000 miles on the car this year and less than 20 track passes. I have glazed the disc's twice, and stayed in it like a dumbass and burned up a set of discs. This is not the QM design. This was me. I will mention that, and also say that the clutch held for a 1.5sec 60' and a 9.5 pass after I let the discs cool down.

The point is, you are dealing with a race bred clutch that works on the street. If you begin to forget that... You may run into some issues. BUT!!! If you are making 400ish HP to 1000hp... This clutch is going to hold and going to allow street use. What other clutch is going to do that with out the same side effects?

(Just a side Note) I have not dealt much with the excedys BTW because I have seen too many stupid failures with them.

Jake H

Im not trying to be rude at all but he says many times in the thread. Yes Evil~Eagle is daily driven, and it is a Devotuning order Quarter Master clutch. He can fill you in on the secifics of the mileage.

Keep in mind though: If you need a clutch like this... The chance is that you have a car that could burn up a set of discs in a few bad passes IF YOUR NOT CAREFULL! I personally know this one. I have under 3,000 miles on the car this year and less than 20 track passes. I have glazed the disc's twice, and stayed in it like a dumbass and burned up a set of discs. This is not the QM design. This was me. I will mention that, and also say that the clutch held for a 1.5sec 60' and a 9.5 pass after I let the discs cool down.

The point is, you are dealing with a race bred clutch that works on the street. If you begin to forget that... You may run into some issues. BUT!!! If you are making 400ish HP to 1000hp... This clutch is going to hold and going to allow street use. What other clutch is going to do that with out the same side effects?
driver. Mine will be mostly a
(Just a side Note) I have not dealt much with the excedys BTW because I have seen too many stupid failures with them.

Jake H
:thumb: I'm sure you guys drag race a ton more than me and sorry you're correct,Evil did mention that his car is a daily street driver. Mine will be a street driver with occasional runs to the track of course. I have other cars I drive everyday.

PS the guys over there in the EVO forums all seem to like the exedy TD setups. I guess this may all also just come down to a matter of preference. There was no mention of Exedy TD clutch failures but I will research it again thanx Top!

Thanks for all the great info guys, much appreciated. Any suggestions for FWD guys like myself? I'm in the process of building a weekend toy, 6 bolt swap with a bunch of goodies. I'm looking for a good clutch setup, preferably twin disk with not a ton of pressure plate force. I looked on Devo and PTT's websites, the clutches seem to be only for AWD cars. Help me make a decision if you guys don't mind. I'm not a huge fan of ACT. I will use there flywheels, I just don't like their clutches.

If you looked into getting a custom flywheel, you could get your clutch. At this point... It would be very easy for them (powertrain tech) because they already have the design, outside of the ring gear spacing. I believe this is the only REAL difference in the FWD and AWD flywheels. You might pay a little bit more, or you could try and setup some sort of a group buy. That part is up to you... But i would call anyways.

Jake H

Sorry to double post...

I was just thinking about it, and I am wondering if the AWD starter would allow you to use the AWD flywheel? I am not sure about this. I did have a FWD once that I put an AWD starter on by mistake. I am pretty sure I had to switch it before the car would turn over. I might be wrong about this... Its been a while, but it would be an easy answer if it would work out that way.

JakeH

not to thread jack or ask something thats been answered several times before, but while the threads still fresh i was just going to ask anyways.
Well im about to be buying a new clutch for my car soon I have a fwd
and I plan on between 350-400 wheel horsepower, no more no less.
I thought about the act 2100, an 2600 and I see a lot of good things about the twin disc. Ive also used the centerforce dual friction before and it was a comfortable clutch but didnt like it but I also think I broke it in wrong because it wasnt acting right.
To include, I also have a fidanza 9lbs lightweight flywheel and I want a clutch thats good on the flywheel, is streetable, will last the whole day at the track with slicks, and wont slip... Also to note, Im not trying to/ or can spend a ton of money right now but any suggestions.

not to thread jack or ask something thats been answered several times before, but while the threads still fresh i was just going to ask anyways.
I thought about the act 2100, an 2600 and I see a lot of good things about the twin disc. Ive also used the centerforce dual friction before and it was a comfortable clutch but didnt like it but I also think I broke it in wrong because it wasnt acting right.
To include, I also have a fidanza 9lbs lightweight flywheel and I want a clutch thats good on the flywheel, is streetable, will last the whole day at the track with slicks, and wont slip... Also to note, Im not trying to/ or can spend a ton of money right now but any suggestions.
I believe this question was ansd dude. Gotta do like i did and go back and look!

If you looked into getting a custom flywheel, you could get your clutch. At this point... It would be very easy for them (powertrain tech) because they already have the design, outside of the ring gear spacing. I believe this is the only REAL difference in the FWD and AWD flywheels. You might pay a little bit more, or you could try and setup some sort of a group buy. That part is up to you... But i would call anyways.

Jake H

Im not too sure about being the guinea pig with the first custom flywheel for this application. But thanks for the idea!

Sorry to double post...

I was just thinking about it, and I am wondering if the AWD starter would allow you to use the AWD flywheel? I am not sure about this. I did have a FWD once that I put an AWD starter on by mistake. I am pretty sure I had to switch it before the car would turn over. I might be wrong about this... Its been a while, but it would be an easy answer if it would work out that way.

JakeH

This would solve the problem very easily, I wasn't aware there was a difference between the starters, thats news to me. Anyone know if this is possible? Thanks for your help Jake.

This would solve the problem very easily, I wasn't aware there was a difference between the starters, thats news to me. Anyone know if this is possible? Thanks for your help Jake.

Well I want to make sure that I am NOT presenting this as "news". It was a long time ago and I am not sure. It just kinda stuck out in my mind. I might just be getting old too... I dont know.:boring:

I believe this question was ansd dude. Gotta do like i did and go back and look!

i believe it was too but the time it took you to write that you couldve just stated a clutch
if you knew .. other wise dont say anything. When i posted I clearly stated i know this was already answered before as in I didnt have time to look as in someone couldve saved me a trip, i was more specific with my goals- searching doesnt always help if two ppl with the same question has completely different goals in mind...... therefore could someone answer my question...

to sum it up...
Fwd/ 350-450 whp goal/ track and street abuse with no slipping
/ fidanza lightwt flywheel/ something that will last the duration of me having this car, what would yall recommend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back