The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

50 trim owners: check your compressor housing!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSIcho said:
I believe my RS49T is leaking as well. Can I work on this while the turbo is bolted on? Will there be anything that may fall out if I try doing it this way?
it will be a very tight sqeeze to get to the turbo but its easier than taking out the entire turbo. Yous shouldnt have any problems with items falling out working on the turbo in the car.

What about Bullseye TO4e 50trim?? didn´t install yet..but there is no gasket/just aluminium cover on aluminium back...
check it and let me know..BTW..you got cooper spray????OMG what about Gold spray:sneaky:
THX

Attachments

• leaking.JPG
    leaking.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,966
MarsaGSX said:
What about Bullseye TO4e 50trim?? didn´t install yet..but there is no gasket/just aluminium cover on aluminium back...
check it and let me know..BTW..you got cooper spray????OMG what about Gold spray:sneaky:
THX

sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. You will need to RTV a small thin ring AROUND the compressor cover )or put it on the backplate, either way. Do not put too much though,as with RTV, it will get smushed and expand further than you'd expect.

blcknspo0ln said:
sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. You will need to RTV a small thin ring AROUND the compressor cover )or put it on the backplate, either way. Do not put too much though,as with RTV, it will get smushed and expand further than you'd expect.

Nice,
but ..tell me what RTV meansWTF
what about use fiber-paper seal?...cut whole thin ring from fiber paper?

When I still had my dsm my bullseye T04B compressor cover leaked pretty hardcore

Bringing this back from the dead just to remind people, and also because I'm suffering from it right now...

My PTE GT3561 is leaking like crazy the whole way around the cover. I'll pull it off tomorrow and hit it with some RTV.

Nice bump :) As for the silicoe, 1.5 years and 6,000 hard miles on her and not a hint of a leak around the cover:

the red o-ring came with the turbo (acts also as a sealer)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

before the rtv

after rtv (you can see the thing ring i put around the inside lip of the cover

you know the Borg-Warner turbos have a grove and a O-ring.

How did you guys find the leak in the first place? A regular boost leak test? or some other method?

So how goes it, Tyler?

Pulled the turbo off, which was a pain thanks to some cross threaded bolts and my 3" o2 Eliminator downpipe. I RTV'ed the Compressor housing and put it all back together, haven't had a chance to Leak test it yet but my airflow still seems a little artificially high. So either its still leaking or theres another leak somewhere else ;)

This really should be a sticky.....Ive havent heard alot of this, I mean ive known of it but not talked about alot...Weird

I don't think there is nearly the problem that is being suggested year. Yes, at times there is a small amount of air that escapes out between the comp. cover and the backing plate, however this is an extremely small percentage of the volume of air being moved by the turbo.

Also, when doing the "boost leak test", if pressure is pushed into the comp. cover housing air will leak out through the seal to the center section. This is because the testing is normally done with the engine off and without the usual 40+ psi of oil pressure pushing from the inside of the center section outwards keeping it sealed. So yes, some pressure may be lost there.

Just my .02,
Brian

...Also, when doing the "boost leak test", if pressure is pushed into the comp. cover housing air will leak out through the seal to the center section. This is because the testing is normally done with the engine off and without the usual 40+ psi of oil pressure pushing from the inside of the center section outwards keeping it sealed. So yes, some pressure may be lost there.

Just my .02,
Brian

I noticed this as well on my PTE 50 Trim (journal bearing center section)... While doing a boost leak test, I couldn't build anything more then 5psi on my boost guage without having the boost pressure vent through the center section! I know that it is going back through the center section as i'm HEARING BUBLES COMMING UP FROM WITHIN THE OIL PAN.
FYI, I conducted these boost tests both under cold & warmed up conditions... Same result... I wonder if I manually presurize the oil system... hmmm......

I noticed this as well on my PTE 50 Trim (journal bearing center section)... While doing a boost leak test, I couldn't build anything more then 5psi on my boost guage without having the boost pressure vent through the center section! I know that it is going back through the center section as i'm HEARING BUBLES COMMING UP FROM WITHIN THE OIL PAN.
FYI, I conducted these boost tests both under cold & warmed up conditions... Same result... I wonder if I manually presurize the oil system... hmmm......
I wouldn't waste your time manually pressurizing the oiling system. Just bypass the CHRA all together and boost leak test at the LICP.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back