The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

50 trim??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspharris

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2005
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
Just wondering if someone can ballpark the flow on my .48 a/r 50 trim? Motors apart trying to make cam/IM decisions. I had it planned out with a e316g but got this turbo from a buddy instead for cheap. Like what is or should it flow in lbs.?

"50trim's" are usually around the 48lb/min range, if this is the typical garrett based "50 trims" that you see being used on DSM's.

.48 A/R is abit on the small side (though will give quick spool), is it a bolt on DSM housing or somethign else (T3, etc?). I'd probably try & find a housing thats .63 A/R as its typically a better match but that depends on what your trying to get out of the turbo.

Peak flow should be around 48 lb/min at the right boost level if tuning conditions are perfect and your turbine housing isn't too restrictive. I'm not sure the .48a/r turbine housing will allow for airflow in the high 40's to be made.

Sorry I was thinking of another turbo at the time I was typing this. MY turbo says to4e t3t4 a/r .50. How about that one? It is also a non-direct fit. I have a tubular manifold with 35mm external eg all new and all waiting to go on. Not the correct forums but talks thoughts on the bc 272's?

MY turbo says to4e t3t4 a/r .50. How about that one? It is also a non-direct fit.
Ah, a $150 Chinese eBay special.

If you ever push the turbo enough to get anywhere near the compressor's peak airflow potential, you'll more than likely have parts of the turbine wheel coming out your exhaust.

Ok, other than you calling my stuff crap, does the new info change the flow you expect it to make? Thanks, Keith.

I'm sure it does....what the Chinese consider a "50-trim" may indeed be a 50-trim by calculation, but both the inducer and exducer are smaller than an actual Garrett T04E50 compressor. The wheel specs are actually closer to the larger of the two GT2871R compressors, so I'd expect it to perform in the realm of 40-42 lb/min peak.

In othe words, you're better off with an Evo III 16G as you won't have to spend as much on oil lines, a wastegate, a manifold, and a custom downpipe / o2 housing while making a turbo fit your car that will likely fail within the first 2000 miles anyway.

that isn't necessarily a "Chinese" turbo.
<< that venge right there has the same size turbo. 50 trim T04E. genuine turbonetics turbo.
here is the compressor map(for the one on the avenger anyway):
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

that isn't necessarily a "Chinese" turbo.
<< that venge right there has the same size turbo. 50 trim T04E. genuine turbonetics turbo.
Technically, there's nothing "Genuine" about a Turbonetics turbo...but I'm not going to get into that discussion here.

Judging by the O.P.'s description of what his turbo "reads" on the compressor cover, I'm sure this is what he has in his possession....keep in mind the Chinese turbos are normally labeled as such just in case you forgot what you were looking at:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks jusMx141 that's exactly what I have. So it's a china special and you say about 40-42 lbs min? Well I guess that's better than my 14b. I already have the manifold, wg, feed line and just have to go get a return line cut. I can make my own downpipe. I guess once I get it running and get ecmlink I'll do so logs to see what the turbo will do. I'll post back here but it'll be awhile probably. Thanks a ton for the input reps coming. Hopefully it will not break in a couple thousand miles and will last for a bit. :D

Wait, a question? Don't you take the inducer squared divided by the excused squared and multiply that by 100 and round up to the nearest whole number? If so then wouldn't ALL 50 trims be a 50 trim? And since I already have almost all the stuff to make a t3/t4 flanged turbo work, is there turbo you suggest that is better than my china crap? I can probably get a hold of some holset stuff pretty easy. I was really wanting to stay in the e316g spool and flow range as my car will hopefully eventually be auto awd. Thanks again all, Keith.

Thanks jusMx141 that's exactly what I have. So it's a china special and you say about 40-42 lbs min?
That's just a guess as there is really no information available on airflow this unit can generate. I'm basing my guess off of the map for a similar Garrett compressor with a similar wheel spec.
Wait, a question? Don't you take the inducer squared divided by the excused squared and multiply that by 100 and round up to the nearest whole number? If so then wouldn't ALL 50 trims be a 50 trim?
Here's a lesson in trim- it doesn't mean shit unless you're using it to describe a series of wheels that use the exact same exducer measurement but have different inducer measurements. This is why the T04E compressors are described by their trim spec....because it's easier than saying "I'm using the one with the 2.17" inducer".

You can't use it to describe wheels like the T25 and T28 because both the inducer and exducer are larger on the T28. This will throw the trim off entirely, and could possibly allow the T28 to have a lower trim number than the T25.

And since I already have almost all the stuff to make a t3/t4 flanged turbo work, is there turbo you suggest that is better than my china crap? I can probably get a hold of some holset stuff pretty easy. I was really wanting to stay in the e316g spool and flow range as my car will hopefully eventually be auto awd. Thanks again all, Keith.
Then why didn't you buy an Evo III 16G? For $500 you could have a brand new MHI turbo with the same reliability as the 14B that is a direct-fit upgrade good for 40-42 lb/min and uses all of your factory oil lines, coolant lines, and o2 housing. There is no other turbo that generates as much airflow as the Evo III 16G while spooling anywhere near as quick and being anywhere near as reliable. It's honestly the best upgrade choice for 95% of street-driven DSMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess once I get it running and get ecmlink I'll do so logs to see what the turbo will do. I'll post back here but it'll be awhile probably. Thanks a ton for the input reps coming. Hopefully it will not break in a couple thousand miles and will last for a bit. :D
I'll take that bet...

And since I already have almost all the stuff to make a t3/t4 flanged turbo work, is there turbo you suggest that is better than my china crap? I can probably get a hold of some holset stuff pretty easy. I was really wanting to stay in the e316g spool and flow range as my car will hopefully eventually be auto awd. Thanks again all, Keith.

HX35, T04B

Personally, I'd sell all the T3 stuff and use the money to help get an E316G setup. Much more simple and cost-effective.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd sell all the T3 stuff and use the money to help get an E316G setup. Much more simple and cost-effective.

Quoted for truth. Plus if you are re selling the car at anypoint in the future, and it was someone with any dsm knowledge at all, you say "E316g turbo. 40-42lb/min flow" They know what your talking about,

A newb/idiot will hear Evo and Big and 16g and be like "oh yeah well that sounds cool as shit I got JDM EVO parts"

Or they will hear "50 trim turbo" and not know wth to think about that. I was looking at a car once and the old timer said that his son put some "70 gauge exhaust ball bearings" in it. :ohdamn: I knew what he really meant. But, the average person will not know what the hell your talking about.

E3 16g w/ Mr. Peepers mod WGA, and a manifold with a ported collector, ported hotside housing, ported o2 will out perform that chinabay turbo a lot, and give you unmatched reliability.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back