The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

50 trim owners: check your compressor housing!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blcknspo0ln

DSM Wiseman
Jul 31, 2003
Central, New_Jersey
Please do a boost leak check and make sure your compressor housing is not leaking under boost. I made the mistake, even after reading this:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?&p=1575624#post1575624

to not check my turbo for leakage. When Oldman and I recently did my system, we found that the compressor housing was leaking severely at a measely 4 psi (of course a million other leaks).

My SBR G50 turbo is currently being sent back to Matt at Slowboyracing and hopefully the compressor housing is being taken care of along with getting the CHRA replaced under warranty with turbonetics. I suppose we'll see how that pans out.

Well some people just have to learn things the hard way. :toobad: :tease:

Ok so i read the other thread and i had a question. I didn't notice anyone chiming in with turbos other than 50 trims. So is this a problem with other turbos too? And i didn't notice anybody mention a PTE turbos. Is this a problem with them as well?

90blacktsiawd said:
Well thats not encouraging as i just ordered a PTE bb 50 trim today.
This should be an universal problem for most turbos with same type of design as a TO4E where the compressor cover separates from the compressor wheel back plate. It's no big deal, remove 6 bolts, separate the cover from the back plate, a thin layer of copper gasket spray on areas where the two meet will take care of the leak. Once you guys remove the cover, what needs to be done will be clear.

Thank you guys very much. This is very good to know as I just bought an RS60T and it's not on the car yet. After spraying the thin layer of copper spray, how tight should the compressor housing bolts be torqued?

SCdsmer said:
It's mostly a problem with the turbonetics chra's because they do not use a gasket between the backplate and the compressor housing whereas garrett does.
Not true. My GT30 CHRA doesn't use any gasket/seal/o-ring. There is a seal between the CHRA and the back plate but not between the back plate and the compressor cover.

Does this seem to happen even when there is the oring seal there?

I havent pressure test mine with the turbo in, just straight off my intercooler pipe. Guess I have some inspiration to actually go and make one that fits the 3" inlet.

-Seth

oldman said:
Not true. My GT30 CHRA doesn't use any gasket/seal/o-ring. There is a seal between the CHRA and the back plate but not between the back plate and the compressor cover.
Yeah, my Garrett 50-trim doesn't have a seal either.

Well, I have boost leak tested in a while, so this should be interesting. :thumb:

hah....found this thread tonight and didn't realize you originated it at first blcknspo0ln.

anyway, fyi my pte 50 has an oring.....although now, after hearing this, i'll think i'll pressure test it before it gets in the car.

Has there been any problems with this for the SBR's 50m turbo? I don't have the turbo installed yet so I figured it would be good to know before putting it in.

peteullo said:
Has there been any problems with this for the SBR's 50m turbo? I don't have the turbo installed yet so I figured it would be good to know before putting it in.
Remove the six bolts which holds the cover to the backplate, if there is no o-ring or seal, go ahead and spray a thin layer of RTV copper spray. This problem isn't vendor specific, so far, only one person has claimed that his unit contains a seal which I suspect he was talking about the seal between the CHRA and the backplate. I have never seen a seal between the back plate and the compressor cover.

So are you guys RTV'ing the comp cover bolts?(in green) Or copper spraying/RTV'ing the actual connecting plates? (in red)

Attachments

• compleak.JPG
    compleak.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,838
Dan, the bolts are not the problem as the bolt threads does not go all the way through, the problem is the metal to metal contact between the back plate and the cover. Extend the red area all the way around the cover and you're good to go.

bruce and dan,
I have spoken to Nate and DSMotosport and he claims that his PTE turbos (mentioned the PTE GT32E and possibly the 3251 he sells) and t3/t4 hybrids that he sells all have Orings, just an FYI

my pte 5031e had a thin line of red rtv around the back plate to be a seal, it held 24 psi fine so i put that on my bullseye t3/t4 hybrid turbo.

chris

So we should say why are all the vendors half assing these turbo's.:toobad:

blcknspo0ln said:
My SBR G50 turbo is currently being sent back to Matt at Slowboyracing
The turbo SBR sent me leaked like a bi*** too. That was a complete nightmare. Found out after getting rid of it they didn't even put a o-ring in the compressor housing as many others had the exact same problem.

This is probably a vendor specific problem rather than an general problem. I doubt FP ships out turbos that do this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back