The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

4g63t Timing/Cam Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca Parker

Probationary Member
Jun 21, 2014
Nelson, New_Zealand
Hi all Hoping you could Help,
Have just replaced the head gasket on my 4g63t and all went well except now while trying to get the Cam Belt back on.
I cant seem to get the timing lined up if I line up the crank I cant line up cams its like pistons are hitting valves?
and if I line up cams then I cant line up crank same problem please help

Attachments

• horage.jpg
    horage.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 144
Hi Rebecca. Welcome to the forum. Before you cause any damage, with the timing belt off, rotate the crankshaft about 1 tooth counterclock wise from the timing mark. Then put the cam sprockets with the dowel pins pointed up and the marks on the inner portion almost lined up. Then use something to secure the belt to the exhaust cam with something. I use zip ties. Then put a 17mm wrench on each sprocket bolt in a way that you can squeeze them together with one hand. Squeeze them until the marks are lined up, and put the belt over the intake sprocket, zip tie it in place. You can now let loose of the wrenches. Check to make sure the marks are still lined up.

Feed the belt around the idler pulley, pull the slack out of the belt, then around the oil pump sprocket. You have checked to make sure the balance shaft is in phase havent you? Once I get the belt around the oil pump sprocket, I put a clothes pin between the belt and the front case housing to hold it in place.

Feed it around the crank sprocket, pulling the slack out and rotating the crank clockwise to the timing mark. Put another clothes pin under the crank to hold it in place.

Feed it over the tensioner pulley, adjust tension, remove the zip ties, spin the engine over 6 times and check all the timing marks again. Let it set for about 30 minutes and recheck the tension.

OK so we can get to getting the belt on, We have no balance shaft (Previous owner has removed it) we are 1/2 degrees off dead center and now the valves hitting pistons and we cant move it at all HELP PLEASE

OMG ok you'll laugh But FIL put cams back on and he put intake on exhaust and visa versa ....... So lesson for all cams round wrong way causes issues LOL

With the cams backwards you couldn't move it up or down?
Could move the crank and could move the cams but timing wouldnt line up and it almost seemed like we had a bent valve, the way we spotted them on backwards is that the intact cam has two lines cut into it for the cam angle sensor

Marks should have lined up regardless. Something doesn't sound right.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back